Help please no start VERY intermittent crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please no start VERY intermittent crank

OK, go out earlier to run some errands and try to start the Probe. Will not start. Battery is good, starter whirrs when doing screw driver trick, and occasionally( once) attempted to crank over. All accessories work, IE radio etc...Car was running just fine yesterday, fired right up. Car had a KLZE swap about 2 months ago, new clutch, remanned disty and remanned starter. I did have a similar thing happen, but it was a loose positive terminal which I fixed by replacing both terminals. This is stumping me as I drove it as recently as 10PM last night( Arby's run) and it started fine. To recap, it is getting spark, starter is good battery is good. I can rule out bad timing belt( brand new when ZE was installed) Car is not seized( took a long breaker bar and was able to turn it quite nicely.

Originally posted by ScottF View Post
    OK, go out earlier to run some errands and try to start the Probe. Will not start. Battery is good, starter whirrs when doing screw driver trick, and occasionally( once) attempted to crank over. All accessories work, IE radio etc...Car was running just fine yesterday, fired right up. Car had a KLZE swap about 2 months ago, new clutch, remanned disty and remanned starter. I did have a similar thing happen, but it was a loose positive terminal which I fixed by replacing both terminals. This is stumping me as I drove it as recently as 10PM last night( Arby's run) and it started fine. To recap, it is getting spark, starter is good battery is good. I can rule out bad timing belt( brand new when ZE was installed) Car is not seized( took a long breaker bar and was able to turn it quite nicely.
    Does it crank over without a screwdriver? I am assuming that you used a screw driver because it wasn't turning over on it's own. In this case -you have a starter circuit problem.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
      Does it crank over without a screwdriver? I am assuming that you used a screw driver because it wasn't turning over on it's own. In this case -you have a starter circuit problem.
      It makes a whirring noise when doing the screwdriver. Like the gears are spinning but the plunger is not engaging the gears to the flywheel if that makes sense

Comment

It makes a whirring noise when doing the screwdriver. Like the gears are spinning but the plunger is not engaging the gears to the flywheel if that makes sense
        Starter! No doubt! The only way it would not be the starter is if you have sheared off all the teeth on the spur gear.
        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; November 12, 2017, 01:00 PM.
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
          Starter! No doubt! The only way it would not be the starter is if you have sheared off all the teeth on the spur gear.
          Interesting. It does not even make whirring when I turn the ignition. only when I use the screwdriver. What would account for it the one time actually cranking but not starting? It makes sense, but should I also look at the clutch safety switch?

Comment

Interesting. It does not even make whirring when I turn the ignition. only when I use the screwdriver. What would account for it the one time actually cranking but not starting? It makes sense, but should I also look at the clutch safety switch?
            The starter is a one input engage and spin. So if it is not engaging but spinning then the starter is bad.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

I was just kind of stumped not long ago when I got a new starter that was even bad right out of the box. I thought my motor was seized until I spun it. I now have my 3rd starter in the car now. Autozone I noticed changed the solenoid from their previous stock so looking like they were possibly problematic. At lease they were free replacements. +1 on the starter
              1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
              2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
              99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
                I was just kind of stumped not long ago when I got a new starter that was even bad right out of the box. I thought my motor was seized until I spun it. I now have my 3rd starter in the car now. Autozone I noticed changed the solenoid from their previous stock so looking like they were possibly problematic. At lease they were free replacements. +1 on the starter
                Interesting, I'm not sure how this applies to my situation, but I will keep on the lookout for anything different.

Comment

UPDATE: Started right up today. Signs are pointing toward clutch safety switch being the culprit.

Comment

I'm about to figure out how to bypass that safety. Each time I go to start my car I have to turn the key multiple times till it engages the starter. My 95 had it disabled in it with a push button start, so I know it can be done.

Comment

Rereading though here when you turn your key and you hold the key turned if it clicks and doesn't spin continue to hold the key turned and let out the clutch and press it again. My 95 I have an issue as well I have to push the clutch a few times before the starter will engage.

So kind of sound rereading the post that essentially instead of turning the key back and forth your foot is turning the key back and forth if that makes any sense? Lol then yes I'm assuming both of our switches are having issues. I've been living with mine doing that for quite awhile now.

Completely bypassing that switch I would not recommend because if you ever accidentally start it in gear and something distracting is going on I would hate to see anybody's car jump into something or someone. Assuming these switches can't be much to replace. Just a little pain to get to..
                      Last edited by Level 9; November 13, 2017, 05:38 PM.
                      1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound

Comment

I'll test it out that way, in attempt to be sure that it is the safety switch. I'll have to see if it can be ordered too.

Comment

Update 2: Went to drive it yesterday and today, both times would not start even after bypassing clutch switch. Though ALMOST started once today...This is getting frustrating as it will start occasionally but other times it's just dead. It is neither the battery nor starter itself. Like I have stated, engine not seized, starter good, battery good( tested at CCA for the brand and model) and when it DOES start it will do it just fine all day...When it does not start it will not start at all...Right now it's like a crap shoot

Comment

Now when you say it won't start you mean you turn the key and then nothing happens at all? Or is there a click then nothing, or it's spinning and not engaging the flywheel? When you crank the car how many volts are you getting to the starter when the clutch is depressed and key turned to start position? If your getting 12v to the starter clutch in key to start the starter maybe on the fritz. All the connections nice and solid and grounds clean? No wires in the starting circuit getting that nice green corrosion going on that could be causing any possible issue?

My current problem personally is I can hold my key to start then it will click, release clutch press again click, and repeat until it decides it wants to work. Sometimes no problem sometimes it's a real pita!

Also are you still able to jump the solenoid to crank the car?

Comment

I can hear the starter relay in the engine click, and when I turn the key nothing happens at all. When it does start, it starts right up on the first turn of the key. All connections do appear nice and solid and I did not see any green corrosion. I can jump the solenoid, but it just makes the whirring sound

Comment

Working...
                              X