Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These instuctions helped me out A WHOLE LOT ! By myself , i had it done in about 3 , 3 1/2 hrs. Including the rear main seal. Thanks alot PT. Without this tread , Im sure it would have taken me much longer. (probably days) Thanks again.

Comment

i think i need to adjust my clutch how would i go about that

Comment

Originally posted by twistedhate
        i think i need to adjust my clutch how would i go about that
        You can't just "adjust the clutch." There are a lot of things that you can potentially adjust. What are your problems? You may just need to bleed, or maybe adjust the pedal freeplay?

Mike
        96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
        CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
        93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
        ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

ACT clutches sometimes need a longer slave cylinder rod to fully disengage the clutch. What brand did you use?

FWIW a spare A/C Compressor retainer bolt is the near perfect length.
          ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
          ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
          ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

in a week or so my cm III and fidanza comes in for my 1st gen GT. i want to replace it myself but i'm a little scared to actually do it and it's probably all rusty and all.... it all SOUNDS easy if you just take the time...

my tranny is also bad. it's grinding when shifting into 3rd, probably synchroproblem? better getting another tranny than fixing the tranny? i've heard it's really a pita to do that...

i'm just a hobbyman, no mechanic... i think i can pull it off but i'm hesitating to actually do it....could save me alot of bucks for sure but what when something goes wrong....
            Fox Tuning kitted '91 GT, 17" Momo white, custom FST bar, CAI/K&N, custom 2,5" catback, Forge BOV, KMSports AFPR, GReddy eBC, Probenator chip www.probeclub.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch TurboFox
              i'm just a hobbyman, no mechanic... i think i can pull it off but i'm hesitating to actually do it....could save me alot of bucks for sure but what when something goes wrong....
              If the tranny is grinding definitely try to find a reliable replacement. Rebuilding is more expensive and very potentially not worth it depending on the cost of replacement tranny - you should be able to find a replacement for $100- 150 if not less.

The clutch job is one of the hardest to do - mostly dependant on work space, time, patience, and knowledge. My feeling is this: if you have the space and tools and time, then go ahead and start disassembling. If you do screw it up, you can always tow it to wherever would do the work anyway and have them laugh at you like they always do when backyard mech's try to work on their cars. My experience is that I generally do better work myself (although not always on the first try) and I don't trust mechanics.

Mike
              96 PGT - 14.639 @ 91.54 mph N/A 2.025 60' - 2605 lbs
              CS Lip ll Megasquirt ll ZE-IM ll Hotshot Headers ll PRM CAI ll Illuminas/Intrax ll 6 puck/MX3 FW ll RR Shifter ll 19" Giovanna Kobell Black Roof ll Black Leather
              93 PGT-ZE - 14.433 @ 96.06mph N/A 2.159 60' - street tires - 2555lbs
              ZEX ll Seli Cams ll Walbro ll Fidanza/DXD ll Addco ll PS Headers ll 65mm TB ll PRM CAI ll Blues and GC's ll MX6 Black Leather

Comment

same thinking here about the mechanics... got the time, space and probably all the required tools (as stated in the how to: just ratchets and normal things....got that too) problem is, we're ging for it on a saturday at my gilrfriends uncle's place... which is a 45 minute drive from where i live... it HAS to be done in 1 day otherwise i can't get home... if I/we srew up, no shop is open on sunday.... but i'll give it a try...

about the tranny, found one already (how difficult do you think it is finding a trans on the scrapyard here on the other side of the world? but that's the downside of having a rare import car...) costs me about $250 but it's the best i can do....thanks for your info man
                Fox Tuning kitted '91 GT, 17" Momo white, custom FST bar, CAI/K&N, custom 2,5" catback, Forge BOV, KMSports AFPR, GReddy eBC, Probenator chip www.probeclub.nl

Comment

Hope you realize this is a write-up for a 2g V6, not a 1g I4.

As for the grinding in 3rd.. my original 2g V6 tranny did that until I changed the clutch, then it was fine. I suspect it was attributed to a weak pressure plate. I drove that tranny another 20k+ miles before destroying it without ever having it grind into third again.
                  Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
                  1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

i did see it's a write up for the 2g V6... just some random questions, don't think the 1g GT clutch is that much different though?

as for the grinding... could put the clutch in first and decide to go for a new tranny later if necesary. but it doesn't grind when i shift "gently"... clutch has to break in for 500 miles or so, so i'll have to go easy on it in the beginning....if it's stilll grinding i have to remove the tranny again...

Comment

Man, when I had a new clutch installed it took the garage 6 hours at $65 an hour.... If only this thread had been around when my clutch went... Great How to!

later

Comment

So my best swap time was 4 and a half hours, but i would take more time next time. Some of the bolts didnt get back in good enough and i had to retighten, so add another 10 hours in snugging stuff up.

Best guess, on my wife's pgt i'll be hour and half into the clutch we get to do, and i wont miss a thing. I think on my ze swap i made the mistake of using the air rachet for most the bolts, and thought it would get tight enough.

Comment

That's great! Do you have a short, short, short version of replacing a timing belt?

Comment

Originally posted by mustango
                            That's great! Do you have a short, short, short version of replacing a timing belt?
                            Take the old timing belt off, put the new timing belt on, drive off.
                            You'll find the procedure in the Archives.
                            KevinD
                            1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Tranny won't slide off. Any ideas?

We (my 17yr old sons) started the clutch job based on the steps.
                              We have a 97 GL 4cyc No ASB. Standard transmission.
                              Already spent 6 hours, 1 hours wrestling with sliding tranny from engine!
                              We are having problems getting the tranny to "slide off".
                              The tranny is currently lowered with the 3 17mm and 2 14mm bolts removed.
                              We tried driving a chisel between the engine and tranny to act as a wedge but it appears something else is keeping it held tight. Wonder if a step is missing.
                              We did find that the axle bolt on the hub was not required to be removed. Plus it is a 32mm not 23mm. And I am not sure why we had to remove any wires from the starter....Does the starter need to come out? Getting to the starter was the hardest part of the job, up to the point of where we are stuck.

Comment

Again, remember these "guidelines" are for the 2.5 MTX only.

I have never removed the axle for a clutch job, even the few 2.0 ones I've done. And of the handfull of clutches on the 2.0 that I have completed....I remember being in your current situation. I remember getting all the bolts out and it still not coming loose on the first one.

I believe the key was the starter. It has a thru bolt that goes through the starter and into the transmission casing and terminates in the block.

If you already have the chisel seperating part of the 2 halves, use a flashlight to locate the binding point. If it is near the starter, then my hunch is right. I would go ahead and remove the starter regardless just to get it out of the way. You cannot use it as a handle like the 2./5 MTX anyway. It mounts from the opposite side.
                                ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                                ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                                ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X