Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio fuse blows often and lighter socket is garbage. Best fix/upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio fuse blows often and lighter socket is garbage. Best fix/upgrade?

The lighter socket sucks and things don't sit in there 100%. The radio (lighter) fuse may blow a few times a year if I use it.
    1. Does this fuse power anything else?
    2. Will replacing the socket with a different one fix the problem? If so is taking the old one out easy?
    3. Where to get a quality socket? The auto stores universal parts are almost always garbage.
    4. Can I upgrade this and should I relocate it and where to? It's in a bad spot where things don't like to fit and the wire to it is super skimpy.

I see other have the same issue on here. Never had this problem in any car I remember.
    Last edited by Horror Angel; February 13, 2017, 12:33 PM.
    Automatic 97 Ford Probe GT 54,000 miles original engine n stuff.

1. I don't believe there's anything else on that fuse.
    2. Could be a short in the socket or wiring which in replacing yes should solve the issue. Taking it out is a sinch pull up the center and disconnect the leads.
    3.factory replacements from the parts stores are decent quality
    4. You could relocate it to the side of the council . Would make it a straight in plug instead of the angle of the factory location. May need to extend the leads though
    93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

Where abouts on the side do you think would be best?
      I was thinking putting it to the back of the middle area where its at for years, but it looks like there probably isnt any room under the storage compartment do to the metal mounts. Could be wrong though.
      Do you mean moving it into the side of upper console area where the stereo and fan controls are?

Comment

Basically anywhere along the lower console would work. There's a lot of room in front of the shifter below the upper console. Probably be best on the passenger side where the cords etc saunout of your way
        93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

So i went to a couple stores and they have generic lighter sockets which dont look like they match mine and have no clue. Dont want a used but checked Ebay anyways and none there.
          ANy ideas which model im looking for and how to get one?

Comment

It may be that a metal part on the charger (lighter side) itself is large enough to make contact with the - and + inside the lighter. Have you considered trying to find a different phone/usb charger, I use a cheap 2.1A and 1.0A usb charger I bought at the gas station. Works fine with my phone and car. Maybe some carefully placed heat shrink or electrical tape could fix the contact issue.

Other than that I would go to pull a part and search for a clean lighter/pwr port socket that meets the criteria.
            Probe out for Harambe
            94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Working...
            X