How to: Convert your power steering rack to manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarexpress17 View Post
    i dont know what the effort is like, i havent put it back in the car yet.

it should be just like steering a car that has no power steering from the factory. maybe a little tougher because of the lower ratio

NOWHERE near as tough as looping the lines
    sounds good bro, keep us updated and good luck with the re-install.

Comment

So there won't be any problems with the rack locking up because it is "Dry" ? I heard that a couple years back. ..
      94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

You fill it partially with grease before reassembly. As long as it's sealed and dirt doesn't get in or grease out, you should have no trouble with that.

Nice Probe adaptation of the Miata piece
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Thanks, there are quite a few differences so i figured i would make a how to for the probe/mx6/etc

the general concept is the same
          95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
          Built, Not Bought.
          No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

put it back in the car and let us know how you like it. good writeup.
            96 PGT. Pacesetter 2.5" Catback, Test Pipe, ChromeIntakes CAI, Clear Corners, Pilot Fogs, 3rd brake light GT symbol, sts, squeaky clutch mod,
            2004 Suzuki GS500F. Polished Rims, broken fairings mod.

Comment

Did some counting today!

I think that I found something today when I began counting turn-to-turns on my racks. I already knew that the PGT is less than 3 turns. And the Mustang manual rack that I purchased is 4 turns. But I believe that turns lock-to-lock are not the same as a gear ratio. I am saying this because even though there are 4 turns on the Mustang rack - the displacement is much more probably because the Mustang has longer steering arms.

When comparing the gear rack teeth on both - it looks like they have about the same size teeth which would indicate approximately the same gear ratio unless the pinion is significantly smaller on the Mustang one. But since the input shaft is spaced about the same distance from the gear rack I am going to guess that the pinion gear is about the same size.

So my point is that even if a rack may have more turns lock-to-lock - this doesn't neccessarily mean that it will take less effort to turn if the gear ratio is the same. And I do not know if a longer travel distance on the Mustang rack would work for the PGT because this extra added travel may exceed the steering lock point where the geometry becomes too far out to produce good steering. Or it might even break something that was not ment to move this far.

I believe that when selecting a manual gear rack to achieve a lower level of input effort - the gear rack tooth count should be higher than the PGT. I will investigate this further and perhaps post links to a photo or two.
              Success is a measure of determination!
              Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
              $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
              Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

Done this today. It's all pretty straight forward.... I removed the steering knuckle piece at the bottom though... (it was easier) I don't know how else you would get it from the top unless I ripped the boot.

The snap ring on the shaft is pretty easy to break to... Probably hit it will the chisel. oops.

Anyways its back in the car.. removes a pile of shit.

Hopefully it will be road tested come next weekend. The engine is currently still out, and in the process of gettting some fast goodies installe.d

Comment

Doing this to my car as well....won't have any road test results for quiet awhile though.
                  Something new coming soon!!!
                  1994 Probe GT...
                  Badass Probe build... Soon to be turbocharged http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701254359 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3865502

Comment

My road tests will be this weekend. Now not sure if I will be able to trap on it yet, but probably will.. need to re-install msns... atleast the map should still be alright..

Comment

subscribed
                      2003Subaru WRX E85stock td04,tgv deletes, full catless, custom 2in crosspipe, 3in TBE, walbro 255,850 modded injectors,grimmspeed crank pulleyTUNED by me on opensource 12.8 @105mph 1.7 60ft

Comment

Originally posted by short4stuff View Post
                        My road tests will be this weekend. Now not sure if I will be able to trap on it yet, but probably will.. need to re-install msns... atleast the map should still be alright..
                        sweet! looking forward to the results
                        95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                        Built, Not Bought.

Comment

If you don't happen to have your engine out when you do this Dansac's method of dropping the subframe is a very easy and simple alternative to removing the engine.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
                          HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
                          Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
                          As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

I never did get to drive it yet.. This weekend for sure.

Just the waterpump belt.
                            I measured it at being 29" on the smallest and 29.5" on the highest. Anyways I ordered a belt. 29.25" When you buy a belt their measurement is the outer diameter, mine would be the inner..
                            Long story short I'd go with a 29.5" outer. The 29.25" belt took some wrestling to get on.

Comment

awesome, added the info to the 1st post

Thanks
                              95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                              Built, Not Bought.

Comment

Drove it today.
                                It will take some getting used to.. Less noticeable torque steer though.
                                Parking lots suck, and on ramps arent that fun either. but other than that its alright.

Best part is it gave room for the catch can. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X