No announcement yet.

1994 Ford probe gt build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really need to see this build finish it, it would be a damn nice thing !

Comment

• Originally posted by filip_pine View Post
      really need to see this build finish it, it would be a damn nice thing !
      I'm trying! It's a slow build but it will happen trust me. I'm serious about it and want to see it completed just as much as you do.

Comment

• So I've been doing some work on the probe and this bish hates me lol. I got the rear subframe out but 3 of the subframe bolts snapped off and only one came out correctly ggrrreeeaatt!!! Now I have to figure out how to get the other half out and replace them.

And then things got better! Let me quit lying no they didn't lol the bottom strut bolt on the rear passenger side is seized in there. Nut came off but the bolt is stuck smh.

Then the bolts that hold the speed sensor to the hub snapped off on both sides. Perfect way to start off my rear subframe removal.

So after all that bs I finally get it out.

If anybody can give me tips or advice on fixing my current problems it would be great so I can go buy what I need.

Also what's the best way to remove the links from the frame? That one long ass bolt won't budge I even used an impact wrench on it and nothing.

I also can't get the camber bolts out or just majority of the bolts period.
        Last edited by Stanced4lyfe; July 26, 2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• On the stuck bolt shafts -what I have always done that works more than 50% of the time is to cut them off flush and then center punch the cut stub. Re-drill (and this is the part that your accuracy affects the 50% rating) -as close to center as you can possibly keep the drill and as close as perpendicular as possible. Then re-tap. If your drill wanders off center -your chances drop to much less than 50%. If you do not go slow with your tap and use tapping oil (or suitable sub) -your chances decrease. If you do not use a sharp (newish) tap -your chances decrease.

But I have actually had a lot of success at doing it this way.
          Success is a measure of determination!
          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
            On the stuck bolt shafts -what I have always done that works more than 50% of the time is to cut them off flush and then center punch the cut stub. Re-drill (and this is the part that your accuracy affects the 50% rating) -as close to center as you can possibly keep the drill and as close as perpendicular as possible. Then re-tap. If your drill wanders off center -your chances drop to much less than 50%. If you do not go slow with your tap and use tapping oil (or suitable sub) -your chances decrease. If you do not use a sharp (newish) tap -your chances decrease.

But I have actually had a lot of success at doing it this way.
            So I need a cutoff wheel, a good drill and drill bits and a tap and die set?

Comment

• So I have yet to attempt to get the rest of the snapped bolts out :/. I'll try this weekend when I have more time from work.

Good news though, I just bought my awr 19mm sway bar kit, King6 sway bar adapters for my megan links and trailing arms and King6 hei mod harness so more goodies are on the way.

I also have majority of the rear end parts ready to be replaced. New brake pads, rotors, calipers, brake lines, ebrake cables, coilovers, trailing links, trailing arms, sway bar, adjustable end links and camber bolts!

Updated mods list.

Comment

• I took the rear subframe to a machine shop to see what they can do. They told me it was rusted so badthe bolts would just snap in half and it wouldn't be cost effective for me sigh.

I don't know what to do now. I would attempt myself like I said I would but I really don't know what I'm doing nor do I want to make it worse.

If anybody has a rear subframe for sale in good condition I would gladly take it!

Comment

• Another way to free seized nuts/bolts is to heat the nut cherry red-hot, then spray it with water to instantly cool it. This shocks the pieces and helps to break the bond. Not sure if this will work in your case though

Really looking forward to the finished product that your working with though! Keep up the hard work

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanced4lyfe View Post
                    So I have yet to attempt to get the rest of the snapped bolts out :/. I'll try this weekend when I have more time from work.
                    pm sent

Comment

• Originally posted by n8r View Post
                      Another way to free seized nuts/bolts is to heat the nut cherry red-hot, then spray it with water to instantly cool it. This shocks the pieces and helps to break the bond. Not sure if this will work in your case though

Really looking forward to the finished product that your working with though! Keep up the hard work
                      Yeah people been giving me ideas and a coworker said he would help me Sunday.

It's crazy because I went to school for automotive but I can't remove a seized bolt smh.

Thanks you for the compliment and keeping up with my build. This gives me motivation to keep going

Comment

I took the rear subframe to a machine shop to see what they can do. They told me it was rusted so bad -the bolts would just snap in half and it wouldn't be cost effective for me sigh.

I don't know what to do now. I would attempt myself like I said I would but I really don't know what I'm doing nor do I want to make it worse.

If anybody has a rear sub-frame for sale in good condition I would gladly take it!
                        Are you talking about the long bolts (pivots) at the bottom of the hub carrier? I have had those stuck several times before. I tried beating them out and I only ended up mushrooming the end. So that was a no-go! I finally ended up cutting the bolts in the center exposed section and leaving penetrating oil on the exposed ends for several days. Then I heated them with a torch and beat them out. Cutting the center section out -makes it so that only one end is frozen at a time. It makes it easier to get the individual sections out vs. trying to get the entire length out while being held by two frozen segments.
                        Success is a measure of determination!
                        Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                        $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                        Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                        Restoration of a legend

Comment

Are you talking about the long bolts (pivots) at the bottom of the hub carrier? I have had those stuck several times before. I tried beating them out and I only ended up mushrooming the end. So that was a no-go! I finally ended up cutting the bolts in the center exposed section and leaving penetrating oil on the exposed ends for several days. Then I heated them with a torch and beat them out. Cutting the center section out -makes it so that only one end is frozen at a time. It makes it easier to get the individual sections out vs. trying to get the entire length out while being held by two frozen segments.
                          Yes those stupid ass bolts! The main ones giving me a problem. Then the bottom strut bolt on the passenger side rear then the speed sensor bolt on both sides all snapped off.

The middle bolts on the subframe just need something to hold the nut then they should come off. I tried a wrench but wouldn't fit up there. Ima try a rachet and socket too hold it next.

I can't thank y'all enough for all the advice and help. I really appreciate it!

Comment

I've done them two ways, massive snap on air hammer on the end with someone applying torque with a breaker bar on the bolt head. (usually results in ruined bolts) and also heating the knuckle ends where the bolts pass through and pounding the bolt out (leave a nut on the end)
                            1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                            1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                            2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• I'm still waiting on my parts to get here :/. Awr is waiting for my sway bar to come back from powder coating and Darren at king6 is now making my adapters after a few measurements from me for my Megan links.

While I'm waiting on them I might as well start putting the coils and brake parts on the front. Crossing my fingers hoping nothing snaps off.

Comment

While I'm waiting on them I might as well start putting the coils and brake parts on the front. Crossing my fingers hoping nothing snaps off.

use ky jelly this time lol

did you try the idea I pm you the videos about and if so did you have any luck

Comment

Working...
                                X