No announcement yet.

1989 Probe GT barn find rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rockauto is going to be your friend for the engine parts....check out the clearance parts. Sorry, I took the last gatorback alternator belt, but they do have some others on clearance for cheap. Also, PCV valve, fuel filter, and vacuum hose (they have some of that pretty cheap too).
    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Yeah Carlin's car on PP is clean as hell.. How could I forget..

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Everydetail was working on a beautiful 1g but, he comes and goes.

Comment

EveryDetails 1st gen is a piece of art! The body work alone no one has done anything even comparable in my eye's. But last i knew it still didnt have a motor in it yet.
        PaTricK
        ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSquid View Post
          rockauto is going to be your friend for the engine parts....check out the clearance parts. Sorry, I took the last gatorback alternator belt, but they do have some others on clearance for cheap. Also, PCV valve, fuel filter, and vacuum hose (they have some of that pretty cheap too).
          Yep I've already got several filled boxes of parts from rock auto sitting in the garage

Originally posted by zerialz View Post
          Yeah Carlin's car on PP is clean as hell.. How could I forget..

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Everydetail was working on a beautiful 1g but, he comes and goes.
          Originally posted by MonoxideChild View Post
          EveryDetails 1st gen is a piece of art! The body work alone no one has done anything even comparable in my eye's. But last i knew it still didnt have a motor in it yet.
          Carlins car is so clean, he had similar luck i believe that was a junkyard car that was in great shape and complete. Everydetails car is just insane, he has a motor i believe and a complete set of polished ss hot pipes he made recently
          1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
          1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
          2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

How much was the car?

And how much to ship across the states, if you don't mind me askin'
            (Just as a reference for all the 'I would buy your car if I was closer' people in the Probe for sale thread)
            1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

The car itself was $450. So it was really a good deal. Not currently running but it should with some maintenance.

The shipping was such a pain in the ass.

So I went into this never having shipped a vehicle. What I quickly searched before approaching this endeavor had led me to believe it was no big deal...Not so much the case in my situation. I was shipping a inoperable car, on a not so popular/well traveled route, the route detail was not mentioned to me until the 5th booked shipping broker 3.5 weeks after beginning my attempt to ship and after several angry phone calls.

Auto shipping is not the customers market.

I started with those get 10 free quotes bs. Was quoted starting at 600 for a 1300 mile ship for an inoperable car. All these quotes are from brokers, not direct trucking companies, no matter how much they claim to have their own trucks. I made some phone calls, checked out some reviews (most of them sucked). Prices started climbing.

So you have to figure, broker fee is lets say $150 out of a $600 quote. thats a $450 ship job to the trucker. $450/1300 is around 35 cents a mile....no trucker will go out of their way to pick that up especially being an inoperable vehicle, average acceptance rate with success is around 50-60 cents a mile in my situation. Also something that wasn't stated to me till late in my shipping attempt.

After getting the run around from 4 companies and burning 3 weeks i decided to turn to uship.com. You post a shipping job up and people bid for the job. What i also failed to realize was that the people bidding on this site are not trucking companies but brokers....once again. Once you accept, they then post your job on the national transit board for the truckers to bid on. I

knew that at least i was going though Uship there would be some kind of guarantee right? They claimed that 48hrs after accepting a bid if you do not have a pickup date you can cancel the booking and Uship(who holds your money) will refund all but like 100 bucks (also bs) to hold towards your next booking.

Well, I accepted a $996 bid from Montway Auto shippers, who are BBB A rated. This was on a friday. They are open 7 days a week. I gave them until tuesday of the next week before placing my first inquiring phone call as to why i had not received a pickup date. "No idea but they are working on it, should be soon" I waited two more days, called again this time rather angry, it was now almost a month since i started this ordeal, price had gone from 600 to close to $1000 and the car had gotten literally, no where.

First call on day 6, post booking yeilded the same "Idk we are working on it, let me look into it for you" BS. This is when i was told it was not a well traveled route....Anyways, gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, he called back about a half hour later asking if I was willing to wait a week. Sure why the hell not. He had a truck coming from Texas that could come get it and was headed to MA. No idea why they were't pursuing this regardless but none the less I bit. Held my breath till the next week, the car was picked up a day early and delivered 2 days later.

The ship itself went relatively smoothly and the car was undamaged. Aside from the fact the trucker decided to head to my house from his trucking yard which is 2.5 hours away, while i was at work, after we had a conversation the night before, ending with him agreeing to call me the next day so we could arrange the right time for delivery. Well, he called me, 1 hour away from my house, 1.5 hours away from his yard. Fortunately, Sean (phatgt4me) was able to go to my house and help him offload the car.

All in all, glad I finally got the car.

Tips for those of you who considered shipping:

Don't give anyone your card info prior to the car being picked up.

Uship at least offers some recourse if you decide to break a booking.

You will almost never be contacted by the actual trucking companies with a shipping quote.

Do you research!

And it will more than likely cost you more than the initial quotes you receive.

Hope this helps anyone in my position!!
              2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
              2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Wow. I must have really lucked out when i had my 626GT shipped from NY to IL. I spent under $500, had the car picked up not even a week after getting the quotes, and the driver kept in contact with me over the 2 day drive it took to deliver the car. After my experience with the 626, i actually plan on buying long distance in the future again just so im not buying rusting midwest cars in the future.
                PaTricK
                ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Wow. I must have really lucked out when i had my 626GT shipped from NY to IL. I spent under $500, had the car picked up not even a week after getting the quotes, and the driver kept in contact with me over the 2 day drive it took to deliver the car. After my experience with the 626, i actually plan on buying long distance in the future again just so im not buying rusting midwest cars in the future.
                  It was a learning experience for sure. I know what i would do the next time around but it was more than i had anticipated in terms of effort thats for sure.
                  2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                  2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Wow you had to go through all that just to ship a car? Dang! I have been considering shipping a car but now I don't know if I its worth the headache . lol. But at least you finally got your probe. It is a beautiful car! Good luck with the build!
                    93 PGT- street/track build KLZE, All Go no show! Cracked block repairs in progress.
                    95 PGT- Daily Driver KLDE, body kit, 18in rims, cai, dual exhaust, plugs and wires.
                    96 PGT- Turbo Project KLZE, will be both Show AND GO!
                    1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Street/Strip project. if you wanna know whats under the hood come and find out!

Comment

Engine is in, I'm currently wiring it. Thanks for the nice comment.

I'm going to enjoy PLX92's project. His new car has an interesting history and it happens to have started out looking like my first car, the 89GT:

91PGT project car still isn't done, don't ask

Comment

You guys are killing my over here. So many nice first gens in here, and I can't help but think of the one that I had to let go.
                        Jim
                        1989 Probe GT
                        2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT): Red Candy Metallic
                        2014 Focus S (MTX): Sterling Grey daily

Comment

Originally posted by EVERY DETAIL View Post
                          Engine is in, I'm currently wiring it. Thanks for the nice comment.

I'm going to enjoy PLX92's project. His new car has an interesting history and it happens to have started out looking like my first car, the 89GT:

Clean car!

Glad some of you guys enjoy watching my build as much as I do of yours!

Not much progress this weekend on the gt, finished stripping out the lx and got it out of my garage. Gt is finally inside. Figured I'd add a before shot of the interior so you guys can see the condition it was in. Next plans are to tackle the bay, hopefully will pressure wash it this week and drain and fill it with new fluids and see if it will fire!

Was also able to source a d/s window regulator from a local guy along with a decent set of lx tails which i had wanted.

Interior before:

Local guy also has another grey 90+ Back seat I may grab just because it may be cleaner sanitation wise haha

Goodies:

Also Took the time to cwash, clay and wax my dd which was beyond overdue

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

That's a super sexy Focus. I love the color combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Onyxhammer View Post
                              That's a super sexy Focus. I love the color combo.
                              Thanks!
                              2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                              2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

I read the For sale thread for this on PP. Such a good find!
                                1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Working...
                                X