Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch lift (trunk support) brands that last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch lift (trunk support) brands that last?

I hardly use my car but my OEM hatch lifts (trunk support) died a couple years back and i replaced em. I wanna say the advance auto/auto zone ones didnt even last a year or two.

Do brands matter? I see rock auto has some Monroe and thats a pretty big name. Then again rock auto has sold me a bunch of duds and the fact its the most expensive one they sell doesnt mean much usually. What works for you?

Do they all fail pretty quickly ? Currently i just keep a small vice locks in the trunk, if they all fail in like 6-24 months i dunno if its worth replacing them. My vice grips probably work better than any new pair does just they take longer to use
    Automatic 97 Ford Probe GT 54,000 miles original engine n stuff.

I'll check the ones in my 94 for brand name. I got them from the JY 2 - 3 years ago now. I opened a hatch on rusty probe and it lifted itself. I was impressed but walked away. Next day I came back could see the hatch was still open across the yard. I pulled them and bought them. They've handled thousands of openings and closings now. Word of caution, keep your chin out of the way as you get used to the arc because it will lift out of your fingers once it gets going. "Experience"
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I pulled mine off of a 97 GTS I found in a Pick'n Pull about a year ago and they are still going strong. I'll also look at my brand today and repost later or tonight.

Comment

Mine don't have and branding on them, just some numbers; 010516, P-3381-GF.
        Could be part numbers, hopefully this might help. But I wouldn't know what brands would be good either, best of luck.

Comment

I have rear lift gate struts from some Ford Escape or something like that. I got them in used condition many years ago when I worked at the KW Cook's Auto Salvage.
          It took a little tweak here and there (some struts use a two-bolt plate and some use a single ball-stub) to make it fit, but now the hatch opens even higher than before and has never sagged or fell. These particular struts are like 3 times stronger than oem Probe ones.

If you are interested in this conversion, I MIGHT have done a writeup or previous mention of it years ago .. (cant remember) I could probably go check them closely for some part number too.
          I feel like they are so strong, they will last me a lifetime!
          DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
          94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Working...
          X