'94 Probe GT won't start. Fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes...
    '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

Well.. here's what happened. I had the air cleaner assembly off so I could get to that gas line. I tested the pump, but just kept the air cleaner box off, which meant that plug was unplugged. I did the code test and it said it was the plug, (duh) so I put the air filter box back on. It still said it was bad. I went out there just now and cleared the code like the manual says to do, and the code is gone.

Now here is the thing. The fuel cutout light is glowing as I try to start the car. I'm not sure exactly if it did that before or not. I've checked the fuel cutoff inertia switch and it is depressed as it should be.

I'm thinking that if that thing was triggered then my fuel pump test wouldn't have spit fuel out.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
      Shawn

Comment

Right, if inertia switch was tripped, fuel pump wouldn't turn on.
        Fuel cut light on is normal if the car won't start.

Check all fuses
        Re-check for spark on all plug wire ends. Don't check spark if you still have spilt fuel in your engine compartment.
        '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

Originally posted by sealpt View Post

All the spark plugs fire, and all fuses look good. I pulled each of them out to check.

Shawn
          Sorry.

I guess the next thing to check is the timing belt, it might have jumped a few teeth somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by earl8245 View Post
            Sorry.

I guess the next thing to check is the timing belt, it might have jumped a few teeth somewhere.
            Are you saying I have to take off the front of the engine for this check, or is there an easier way to do this?

Just as my background. This summer I replaced the water pump, then replaced the rear valvecover gasket, which meant taking the intake manifold off..

The car ran fine after all of this. The only thing was it didn't start all that great after the rear valvecover job was done. I was never sure why that was. It used to just start.. then after that job was done it would crank over about 3 times before starting.

The timing belt looked good when I was in there for the water pump. Wouldn't the timing belt thing tear up the engine, or valves at least?

Comment

no they are non interference engines that means the pistons and valves wont hit when it jumps time
              95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
              94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
              93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
              97&94&93 PGT gone
              DALE

Comment

How is this particular check done? I have to remove the covers on the timing belt, right? Which as I recall means taking off alternator, and front pully, motor mount, and stuff like that, right?

There must be an easier way.

Comment

A timing problem might show up on a cylinder compression test.

Comment

there is just take off the i think 12 bolts off the covers you dont have to rip the whole front of the engine apart
                    95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
                    94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
                    97&94&93 PGT gone
                    DALE

Comment

Whew. I was having a flashback to 4 evenings of being under the hood on this thing trying to get to that waterpump. Not having the pulley come off.. All that other good crap.

Ok, when I pull the covers off, what should I be looking for? I know there are like marks to follow when the engine is at top dead center or something, right?

Comment

make sure the mark on the bottom gear is set then check the two onthe top gears to make sure they are lined up with their marks if they are thats all good
                        97&94&93 PGT gone
                        DALE

Comment

Ok, after finally finding time to work on this beast again, I've lined up the marks on the bottom of the crank and pulled away the timing belt cover on the front to find that that cam mark is lined up. Do you think it is necessary to see if it is off on the firewall cover as well? Which would be somewhat of a pain to get off of there. I'm thinking that if would have skipped teeth, then both cams would be mis-aligned.

Also.. My Uncle thought maybe it might be the computer that is out. I did the check with the mass flow sensor disconnected, and the diagnosis said it was actually not working. When I put the sensor back on and cleared the computer code, it actually cleared. Does the computer completely go out when it goes, or are some parts of it that still work?

Kind of running out of ideas here. I'll check the back cam if needed.

Thanks for your time guys.
                          Shawn.

Comment

I'd check the rear bank just to be thorough. Might be off enough that the intake valves are open on the compression stroke, shooting air and fuel back into the intake manifold.

When you crank it over are you smelling gas?

Crank it over a bit and then stop and pull the air intake elbow off and open the throttle. If you don't smell gas, then your injectors are not spraying which could mean a bad ecu.

You can also try to spray some starting fluid into the intake manifold and see if it fires. An easy route would be to pull off the pcv hose from the manifold (the one that comes from the front valve cover).

Comment

1. set crank to tdc (with #1 cylinder up) with arrow on the motor case/oil pump
                              2. back cam has 2 dots on the top front of the pulley ensure they align with the 2 fotd ont the valve cover just above the pulley
                              3. front cam has 1 mark a dot i beileve (ensure it aligns with mark on the valve cover its like a slash mark more towrd the left of the cover if looking at the timing belt)

if all is aligned then its not a timing problem if not then its time for a new belt and tensioner

good luck

let us know whats up
                              93 pgt R.I.P.
                              http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...robe-truck.jpg
                              94 pgt ($300 daily driver)
                              http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...ps825e1870.jpg

Comment

if you do end up needing a ecu i have one out of my 93 parts car you can get
                                97&94&93 PGT gone
                                DALE

Comment

Working...
                                X