No announcement yet.

HEI, External Coil, and No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be looking more into the inertia switch as well. Could just bypass it to verify that is the issue
    93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

Just because the relay clicks doesn't necessarily mean its good. Might want to try another relay if you have a spare or if your daring you can try jumping it at the relay to see if that kicks the pump on. If that is still a no go, well I guess I would start taking interior trim off and folding the carpet up and tracing all the wires and making sure they aren't damaged physically.

Have you used a multimeter to test voltage at the pump?

Could also take a multimeter, put it in continuity mode/diode mode/voltage drop mode whatever you want to call it. The mode that beeps when you touch the multimeter probes together . touch whatever you have open on the ground wire coming into the pump and touch the other multimeter probe to bare metal. if it doesn't beep your ground is broke somewhere.
      Last edited by J_Unit; March 21, 2017, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by branscoset View Post
        Does the fuel cutoff light come on the dash when cranking? If so the inertia switch or whatever is left of it is bad.
        Fuel cutout doesn't come on.

Originally posted by 93lazerpgt View Post
        I would be looking more into the inertia switch as well. Could just bypass it to verify that is the issue
        When I pulled back the trim I saw that a prior owner bypassed the inertia switch. So that's not it.

Originally posted by J_Unit View Post
        Just because the relay clicks doesn't necessarily mean its good. Might want to try another relay if you have a spare or if your daring you can try jumping it at the relay to see if that kicks the pump on. If that is still a no go, well I guess I would start taking interior trim off and folding the carpet up and tracing all the wires and making sure they aren't damaged physically.

Have you used a multimeter to test voltage at the pump?

Could also take a multimeter, put it in continuity mode/diode mode/voltage drop mode whatever you want to call it. The mode that beeps when you touch the multimeter probes together . touch whatever you have open on the ground wire coming into the pump and touch the other multimeter probe to bare metal. if it doesn't beep your ground is broke somewhere.
        I have some spare relays laying around. I'll test that. I ran a twelve volt wire and ground from the aftermarket amp in the trunk and the car started just fine. Never used a multimeter. So I'd have to buy one and try that.
        Last edited by Venchman; March 21, 2017, 06:28 PM.
        93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Comment

To me it seems that your crank position sensor is bad, i had similar issue, fuel pump worked fine when running it in diagonstics box. The thing is your ECU wont start the fuel pump if it gets no signal from crank position sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavoz View Post
            To me it seems that your crank position sensor is bad, i had similar issue, fuel pump worked fine when running it in diagonstics box. The thing is your ECU wont start the fuel pump if it gets no signal from crank position sensor.
            I wouldn't get spark with a bad crank sensor, correct? I am getting spark and the motor starts (after rigging the pump to work).

New Issues: now the sputters and backfire/misfire/popping at around 3000 rpm; it completely losses power at that point. Would that be the coil failing? Here is a video of it. Seems like everything is going wrong at a really bad time.
            Last edited by Venchman; March 22, 2017, 09:31 AM.
            93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Comment

Originally posted by Venchman View Post
              I wouldn't get spark with a bad crank sensor, correct? I am getting spark and the motor starts (after rigging the pump to work).

New Issues: now the sputters and backfire/misfire/popping at around 3000 rpm; it completely losses power at that point. Would that be the coil failing? Here is a video of it. Seems like everything is going wrong at a really bad time.
              When you dropped the tank and swapped the pump -how did the filter sock look? The 3000 RPM problem can be a bad ECU. Maybe you just have a bad ECU altogether. Got a spare to try?
              Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 22, 2017, 09:50 AM.
              Success is a measure of determination!
              Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
              $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
              Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                When you dropped the tank and swapped the pump -how did the filter sock look? The 3000 RPM problem can be a bad ECU. Maybe you just have a bad ECU altogether. Got a spare to try?
                The sock/strainer was brown. I changed the pump and the sock/strainer. So they are both new. I should have a spare somewhere, need to look through some things. Do you have a multimeter I could borrow?

Update: changed the ecu and same stumbling problem. I'm going to make another video of it.
                Last edited by Venchman; March 22, 2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Have you verified that you are getting the proper fuel pressure to the rail? Logic says new pump should have correct pressure but just a possibility.
                  93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

Originally posted by 93lazerpgt View Post
                    Have you verified that you are getting the proper fuel pressure to the rail? Logic says new pump should have correct pressure but just a possibility.
                    I don't have a compression testing tool <- If that's what it's called lol....

Comment

No, your not testing for compression right now, just fuel pressure. You need something like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-62623.html

Comment

Originally posted by J_Unit View Post
                        No, your not testing for compression right now, just fuel pressure. You need something like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-62623.html
                        I have to put this on hold until next weekend. I have to study for an interview next week and the car has been a distraction from that. But I'll keep you guys posted, going to get another ecu and multimeter and do some testing; but after next wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                        X