No announcement yet.

Project Beautiful Beast work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always look forward to your updates. Seeing others continuing to stay motivated somehow motivates me to stay motivated-- make sense? Lol. All in all, great work man and keep those updates coming. Look forward to seeing this on the streets!

Comment

• Originally posted by panic37 View Post
      I always look forward to your updates. Seeing others continuing to stay motivated somehow motivates me to stay motivated-- make sense? Lol. All in all, great work man and keep those updates coming. Look forward to seeing this on the streets!
      Thanks man. Don't have the community that we did a few years back, but it's nice to know SOMEONE is on here! Hopefully she'll be on the streets after this coming weekend. Need to get the wiring close to completele behind the dash before I "permanently" reinstall. Updates shall follow!
      Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
      Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
      Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
      The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

• Got a new thing

And it went here

Comment

• And then the rest of the crew showed up...

Comment

• Originally posted by proboner View Post
            And then the rest of the crew showed up...
            That looks great
            1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
            1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
            2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Let us continue!

Next step is to get things ready for the dash to go back in. First things first, decided to get that bad boy painted up so it doesn't look like a rusty POS. Separated the skeleton from the dash and weighed them... roughly 18lbs each. Then went about sanding the loose rust off.
              Before:

After:

And with the dash reinstalled along with the gauges

Looks alright, but not quite as planned... so I applied some CF vinyl.

Then I moved back to the wiring behind the dash. I had run most of the circuits and spent most of my day today getting it all organized in preparation to be wrapped. To break up some of the tedium, I also went ahead and wrapped all the wiring in the back of the car, running to the tail lights, fuel pump, and 3rd brake light.

You can see here what I'm working with. The PO dynamatted the entire rear and I am DREADING trying to remove that crap. Anyway, hold downs will need to be installed to clean this all up, now that it's wrapped.

And that's unfortunately all I've got picture wise! Not really a lot to document, but much of the minutia was addressed. Tomorrow calls for wiring of the gauges, the parking lights, and if I'm lucky, getting some of it wrapped up.

Wrap.

Comment

• the CF over the gauge cluster looks great! what are the 3 buttons for? keep up the awesome work!
                Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
                Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
                Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

• Thanks mang! The buttons are for calibration and some of the peak/hold functionality of the gauges.

Comment

• What did you use for the CF? Is it an overlay or sticker type material? I am digging it as well. I may want to do one of mine that way.
                    Success is a measure of determination!
                    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

• It's just CF vinyl... sticks on.

Little more wire cleanup and wired up most of the gauges. Tach is working with Tacho output from the MS, fuel is running to what I assume is the fuel level sensor (it's still sitting at zero but I believe it's pretty likely that the tank is close to empty), installed the new oil pressure sending unit that came with the gauge, and now I just need to find the pigtail for the VSS to get it hooked up to the speedo.

I am having one issue, and that is with the parking lights. If I connect the parking lights for both tail lights to get signal from a single source, it causes the turn signals to both blink when I turn one or the other on. Not sure how I'm going to solve this yet.

Anyway, here's a quick video of the tach and oil pressure gauge working. As a side note, my previous car's oil pressure at idle was like 35-45 psi, and this one is showing 70psi. Anyone else have oil pressure numbers to compare to?

edit: is it the case that I literally CANNOT link to YouTube at all? this is the same issue I had last time.

here's my attempt to get around it
                      Code:
                      https://youtu.be/bq1m23eKq2c
                      Last edited by proboner; April 23, 2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Beautiful work! Can't wait to see more progress!

Comment

• Poquito mas

Comment

• That setup is super clean. I must say I was a bit iffy on the layout before you put the CF vinyl on there. The idea was perfect but I'm glad you stepped away from the stainless steel/brushed aluminum look. Awesome work.

Comment

• Yeah, I imagine most of this project is like that. Most all of it has looked iffy over the course of the project, but if it goes as planned it should all come together in the end!

It was never going to stay aluminum by the way... that's just what it was made out of. Wouldnt have made sense, with all the other accents being CF!

Comment

• Awesome updates, love the dash. I've tossed a similar idea around a few times as well...
                                1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
                                Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
                                1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
                                2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

Working...
                                X