No announcement yet.

Overcharging Alternator - car shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may be able to check it by getting most of the bolts out of the cover and pulling it back. You'll probably need a hand, turning the engine over by the crank and holding open the cover so you can see if that bolt spins with the pulley.
    Probe out for Harambe
    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Update

The car fired up. Went back and reset my initial timing after some adjusting, hit the right spot and it started easily. Thanks to all for your input along the way. None of my gauges work, tach, oil pressure, water temp, etc... Does anyone know how these are controlled?

Thanks,
      my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Update

The car fired up. Went back and reset my initial timing after some adjusting, hit the right spot and it started easily. Thanks to all for your input along the way. None of my gauges work, tach, oil pressure, water temp, etc... Does anyone know how these are controlled?

Thanks,

Comment

For the gauges not working... Do you have a power antenna, and do your reverse lights work. Check your fuses. Above the transmission there are reverse light wires (both green I think) that get frayed and short out on the trans, caused my gauges to go out on my 95. Of course they're not easy to see or get to.
          Probe out for Harambe

Comment

Gauges

I replaced blown 15A meter fuse and I now have gauges. Have to diagnose why tach is not working.

Comment

You should also look for why the fuse popped.
              Probe out for Harambe

Comment

ECU is Suspect

Ok - after installing new alternator, new fuel pump and new distributor after having the ECU repaired by a company in Arvado, CO, the car fires up and idles steady. However, these are problem areas:
                1. Engine heats up very quickly and the cooling fans do not kick on. The one fan kicks on and runs continually only when new CTS is unplugged. The other does not run with the AC on.
                2. Tachometer does not work. (New distributor with no starting issues)
                3. The battery does not charge when car is running. Just installed new alternator on 9/9/17. Battery reads 12.6 V with car off and slightly less when car is running.
                So, I think my ECU sustained too much damage and although the company tried to repair, it has its faults. Does anyone have a KL90 or comparable ECU for a 1995 Probe GT manual transmission for sale?

Thanks,
                Joe

Comment

Reading back on this thread as for the tach I once had a wire chaff through and short out that caused a mess of problems. Melted some wires that thankfully weren't actually to bad to get to.

But... It did however melt a small track on the back of my instrument cluster on the circuit board that went to my fuel gauge. I added on a little section of wire and soldered it in to remake the connection. Same kind of thing may have happened going to your tach? Just something to check.
                  1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                  2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                  99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Tach not working

The overcharged battery fried my distributor and since replacing I have no tach. I have tried a replacement instrument cluster and the tach does not work on that either. I am guessing the aftermarket distributor. The car fires up and although I have not driven it, has better throttle response and a better exhaust note than it had before with the tired distributor and tired fuel pump. Have some electrical bugs to work out, but making progress and look forward to driving this car.

Thanks,

Comment

Update to overcharging alternator

The car runs better, accelerates quicker and sounds healthier than it ever did for the 10 years I drove it from 2005-2015. Will install aftermarket tach as factory tach does not work even after changing instrument cluster. Room fuse continues to blow so have no dome light or interior lights or stereo. Dash lights work. Completely removed viper 3000 alarm system including the starter interrupt. Will put this car back on the road as a daily driver once I have the minor bugs worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by shdtree95 View Post
                        The car runs better, accelerates quicker and sounds healthier than it ever did for the 10 years I drove it from 2005-2015. Will install aftermarket tach as factory tach does not work even after changing instrument cluster. Room fuse continues to blow so have no dome light or interior lights or stereo. Dash lights work. Completely removed viper 3000 alarm system including the starter interrupt. Will put this car back on the road as a daily driver once I have the minor bugs worked out.
                        Hi what type of aftermarket tach will you use?

Comment

Tachometer

I ordered a 3 3/8" Sun Super Tach II from ebay for $37. I am planning to mount it on the plastic covering between steering wheel and instrument cluster kind of covering the factory tach.

Comment

Working...
                          X