No announcement yet.

SBPGT's Turbo build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spending a lot of time at work and school. Haven't worked on the car much. Been spending money on other hobbies lately...

PS4

Guitar 1
    Guitar 2
    Guitar 3

I wanted to use silicone plug/caps to block of the heater hose fittings. I could only find the cheap rubber or the knock-off cheap silicone plugs. So I bought some new hose and plugs at Home Depot.

Shark Bite 3/4 Plugs

But the next day at work I found some extra aluminum stock and made my own plugs.

Cleaning up the engine bay a little bit...

Removed the heater hose loop, EGR, EGR hoses, VRIS and other solenoids, and taped electrical connectors to wire harness.
    Parts and stuff

I plan to start on the new fuel lines next, and I still have the cam regrinds to install.

Maybe I'll do more soon?
    Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 06:57 PM.
    Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
    STEVE B
    1993 Probe GT
    2016 Mustang

Comment

Very cool, I was planning on looping my heater hoses together, but perhaps this block-off idea will be easier! Keep it up!
      Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
      Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
      Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
      The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Originally posted by proboner View Post
        Very cool, I was planning on looping my heater hoses together, but perhaps this block-off idea will be easier! Keep it up!
        Definitely not easier. A little bit more space, I don't really like the look of all the clamps. If I had an extra thermostat housing(or what ever that is with all the water ports on it) I would just modify/remove them. Cleaner and more space.
        Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
        STEVE B
        1993 Probe GT
        2016 Mustang

Comment

I personally run a 180 degree hose right there, the top port goes all the way over to the pass side of engine and is separated from the lower port, I didn't like the idea of just blocking off that ports flow from other side of the engine
          1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

I have a cobbled together 180* hose there, but its just messy. It would require a 180 with a very tight radius to clean it up, which I dont know how much I care to try to source something like that. I would definitely prefer to cut up and weld the thermostat housing, but assuming it's aluminum, I dont have a way to weld it.
            Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
            Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
            Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
            The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

I'm running a 180 myself from some cars prebent heater hose
              Last edited by pile_of_rd1; March 13, 2017, 11:37 PM.
              1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

Removed parts

You can see the big ugly hose loop in the photo above under the EGR.

I wanted to use one of these with one clamp. But I could only find links to UK sellers. Or cheap ebay knock offs that would probably melt or burst.
                Samco Sport blanking plug

~ $12 ea. Plus International shipping

My mod only cost ~ $5. After I return the store bought plugs.
                Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 01:10 AM.
                STEVE B
                1993 Probe GT
                2016 Mustang

Comment

Screw Photobucket!

I just spent a few hours transferring my photo's to my Google Photo's account and updating all the links in this thread.

Still haven't done much since the last update. Cleaned up some wiring and removed more brackets and other stuff.

Here is a IAC delete plate I made on the mill at work.

You can see the EGR Delete block off plate installed and all the extra room from bundling the wiring harness. Moved the two relays next to the fuse box and plan to remove the Fuel Vapor Canister too.

Testing out where the dual feed fuel setup is going to go. Just temporary old fuel hose, I have some nice Earls Pro-Lite 350 braided hose for the final install.

Hopefully I will finally get the turbo cam regrinds in and dyno tested, then I can install the turbo and MS... in another year...
                  Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 06:47 PM.
                  STEVE B
                  1993 Probe GT
                  2016 Mustang

Comment

I give up!

Now some pics work and others don't?
                    STEVE B
                    1993 Probe GT
                    2016 Mustang

Comment

How do you find the idle and cold starts with no iac?
                      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
                        How do you find the idle and cold starts with no iac?
                        AZ = No cold starts.

The IAC wiring connector hasn't been hooked up for years, and no coolant lines to it either. It has always just started right up. I have had a reving up and down idle every so often, but that has been after driving for a while. I think that was a vacuum leak?

Most of the time it idles between 600-700 rpm and occasionally idles around 1000-1200 rpm after a hard drive? Haven't driven it in over a year or with the IAC delete.
                        STEVE B
                        1993 Probe GT
                        2016 Mustang

Comment

Seeing if the IC is going to fit where I want it.

Might need to switch to 45 elbow instead of the 90? I hope I don't have to switch to a different intake manifold. I would think it would be made to fit, it's been done before... KL with W/A IC (Different IM and I believe a smaller IC?)
                          STEVE B
                          1993 Probe GT
                          2016 Mustang

Comment

I suggest you delete the burp box, install a Moroso 1.5" inline hose burp/filler on the passenger side, and use 90* pipe couplers with straight pipe cuts instead of that giant U-bend. It might enable you to use the IC just the way you wanted. It would be something like - 90*-IC-90*-straight BOV pipe-90*-turbo.

And maybe add a PTP turbo blanket in there or you WILL get nasty heat soak. My car suffers really bad from heat. Drive her for ten minutes and you cant lay a hand on any piece under the hood for the next hour.

Props for thinking of using reflect-a-gold. That will do well wrapped around the IC. Starter motors benefit a lot from it too. I'll be incorporating a self-adhesive silver aluminized fiberglass wrap (steel lock ties at the ends of course) for my cold pipes soon cuz the gold stuff was too expensive for me.

* oh yeah... You'll probably have to move that msd coil pretty far from where it currently is. I could see it getting roasted.
                            Last edited by MSDKLZE; July 16, 2017, 09:42 AM.
                            DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                            94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

I had planned to cut that "U" bend down. Still don't think that would be short enough. Thought about have a 2" to 3" pie cut bend welded up. Another idea was to make a mold and make a carbon fiber bend...

I have to wait until I get the hot pipes and turbo in there to see what I have to work with. I've been making all my guesses from photos of other peoples turbo setups. Like a previous post, I wanted to try this setup--> W/A IC KL setup But, I'm not sure about the hood clearance?

I planned on a turbo blanket and have some other heat reducing/blocking ideas that I'm working on. Same idea about the coolant lines, also. Or, maybe use the '98 - '02 626 coolant setup? The coil is just resting there out of the way as I work on other stuff in that area.
                              Last edited by SBPGT; July 16, 2017, 11:46 AM.
                              STEVE B
                              1993 Probe GT
                              2016 Mustang

Comment

OMG you just mentioned the 626 coolant neck... and all this time I've had one in my stash for like 5 years... IT IS SOOO GOING ON THE NEW ENGINE!

If you had not mentioned that, I would have completely forgot about it and missed that step during the build.. so THANK YOU!
                                DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                                94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                                X