No announcement yet.

Help please no start VERY intermittent crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're jumping the solenoid and it's just spinning and not engaging the flywheel the starter is bad.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

I was actually able get it to crank by jumping A to B yesterday with a screw driver, actually had it cranking for a good minute. Still will not turn over with the key however, I hear the relay click and nothing. I checked ignition switch connections for continuity and in all key positions there was no continuity so I assume that rules out the ignition switch.

Comment

Recheck neutral safety switch. There isn't too much involved in the starting circuit like klde Porsche stated above. If it's only spinning sometimes then question the solenoid, if it just clicks when the key is turned then you step on the clutch try to repeat stepping on the clutch to see if you can get it to engage.
        1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound

Comment

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
          Recheck neutral safety switch. There isn't too much involved in the starting circuit like klde Porsche stated above. If it's only spinning sometimes then question the solenoid, if it just clicks when the key is turned then you step on the clutch try to repeat stepping on the clutch to see if you can get it to engage.
          It was the clutch safety all along. Turns out the first time I tried jumping it, the wire I used I guess did not make contact with the female terminals inside the connector. Took forever to start, but the cranking and sputtering to life was music to my ears almost as sweet as Slayer and Metallica doing a duet...Finally it roared to life and I ran it a few minutes to blow some of the accumulated hydrocarbons out. Had to tape a note to the dash reminding me to not start the car in gear, but the point is, it's functional and since I know it works now, I am in no rush to fix the clutch switch

Comment

Glad to hear you got it goin. My clutch switch had been messed up for awhile. Sometimes it starts first go, sometimes it's 1,2,3, or 20 times I have to push the clutch before it will decide it wants to let me start the damn thing lol. I haven't replaced it since I think I'm going to be looking for a different PGT in the spring to be the new project that has a better starting point than where mine currently sits at the moment.

Comment

Working...
            X