X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $20 Ignitor Replacement/upgrade

Originally posted by sox4130
    ok since im not getting spark & im willing to give this a try to see if its the ignitor. will i be able to undo it if it doesnt work?

-Isaac
    What I did was I took a small piece of shrink wrap and put it over the end of the strap, and a small ball of fun tack to hold it down, it'll hit the interuptor wheel if it's not held down but you dont want to make it much higher either. Then once I got it working I cut it out. I just wanted to make sure I didnt mess anything up.
    93 gt
    95 tbird sc
    2010 focus ses

Comment

Re: $20 Ignitor Replacement/upgrade

I used the coil with the HEI, still alot cheaper than a new disty or msd 6. With the coil you dont have to worry about removing the internal strap just leave the 3-wire connector off.
      93 gt
      95 tbird sc
      2010 focus ses

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty6
        Anyone know what the specs on the resistor need to be. Going to an electronics components dealer, looking at the online list of 1k resistors, there are alot of different kinds.
        The very worst case would be if that resistor saw 12 volts across all the time. From that we can figure out its wattage using P=E*E/R. 12*12/1,000=.144 watts. Double that to keep it cool and you get ~1/4 watt. So, any 1/4W or higher 1,000 ohm job will work.

Omaha95PGT's suggestion to use 1W is good because you will have a resistor physically big enough to be rugged and easy to hook up to.

Comment

Sorry for the double-post.

Okay...I understand the schematic posted on pg2 of the other thread but I was wondering how you would wire in a msd box with this...it seems that the hei is effectively hooked up exactly how the msd box is...but I don't want to loose the features of the msd. can anyone help me with this? I still want to bypass the Ignitor.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shrep
            Okay...I understand the schematic posted on pg2 of the other thread but I was wondering how you would wire in a msd box with this...it seems that the hei is effectively hooked up exactly how the msd box is...but I don't want to lose the features of the msd. can anyone help me with this? I still want to bypass the Ignitor.
            Are you talking about hooking up an MSD with the HEI? It's been done:

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701093012
            Marc M.
            Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
            2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Just a heads up to guys in Canada or others that get the DR-400, mine is acting up already, same type j1mmy was having problems with. I get a pulse from the ecu, but no voltage between B and C on my coil terminals when it acts up so it's not feeding the coil. I think Autozone will ship to Canada, and the part is under $20 Canadian so no duty, tax, or brokerage fees if they ship though UPS, but it's something I'm gonna look into and grab a spare. I picked up the Accel module from summit (had a gift certificate so it was cheaper than another dr-400 here ), but I'll let you guys know how it's works.

ps. Joe you may or may not be old, but really I meant it respectfully Would you prefer sir?
              93 gt
              95 tbird sc
              2010 focus ses

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty6
                Okay putting back the together the distributor, it looks like the metal strap goes onto the middle connector of the 3 pin cable. lol but not sure. Isn't that the tach contact, shouldn't it go to the power connection, on the left?
                This confused me too when I first hooked everything up. That three pin 'socket' that marries the coil terminals to the three pin harness plug is not a straight one for one feed through connector. The metal strap does go into the middle connector but comes out on the right side, not the middle.

Black/pink +12 goes in the left side pin of the plug and comes out the left side of the coil. One for one, in on the left, out on the left.
                Yellow /blue tach goes in the center pin of the plug but comes out on the right side of the coil.
                Yellow/green IGN gnd goes in the right side of the plug but comes out on the center side of the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by espbasic
                  Just add info., I did the mod because of 1-failed ignitor/bad coil and a 2nd spare ignitor that would not rev pass 3800 RPM. My finding was my rev prob was not due to the HEI module nor the Blaster coil setup, it was due to a bad cam position sensor portion of my spare ignitor.

I have 2 questions now I trying to find out:

1. When using the HEI mod & coil setup with the 3-pin connector completely disconnected form disty is it necessary to remove the internal ignitor to coil strap? Will not removing it affect performance? (Reduce spark strength?)

2. With the disty cap mod some pics show the tower closer to the edge and some show it drilled closer to the center button. The closer is appx 1 ohm (terminal to center button) where-as the edge mount location is giving me 6-ohm. Which is recommended?
                  Thx
                  You dont need to remove the strap with the connector off. I put the tower just off the middle, I didnt actually check the resistance just ran a light bulb with it. (I either need CIA or relocate it on my next disty cap the stock airbox gets in the way). One thing that was giving me grief when I first put the coil on and got no spark, I had to break off the piece that runs down to the stock coil and put some JB weld on it. I think it was shorting out somewhere in my bad coil in there somewhere.
                  93 gt
                  95 tbird sc
                  2010 focus ses

Comment

You can get http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=MSD%2D8403 it comes with 1 tower seeing you'll need a coil wire anyways.

I think with the 96 you could probably just disconnected all 3 pins on the ignitor, cause with the 93/94's we remove 2 of them one being the ecu trigger the transistors base, the collector being the strap we removed, that just leaves a ground to the it that isnt needed anymore with the collector being removed. Or get out an ohm meter and connect it to the - ig pin it's the second one on the larger connector twords the 3pin one on 93/94 dont know if it's the same and it should be close to 0 ohms and leave that one, or find the one that goes to the coil and the one that goes to the ecu trigger.
                    93 gt
                    95 tbird sc
                    2010 focus ses

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha95PGT
                      Here's the external tower wiring diagram: http://home.comcast.net/~mmunoz70/z/Probe-Ext-HEI-Coil.gif

Diagram courtesy of Joe Bialy
                      Up there that diagram shows how it's hooked up, it's very simple and you just leave the 3 wire connector off the disty.

The easy thing to do for you cap is go up in this thread and click on probesports site he's got modified caps if you dont want to make one youself.

In the middle of this thread there are some pictures that show the cap mod. Just one word of warning if you have a stock air box check on where to put the tower first, I was fortunate enough to do a test cap first so no loss and have a broken airbox around. My next cap Im going to try to bring it off the side
                      http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...light=msd+coil

You need a coil wire and a tower these msd ones come with a tower
                      http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat
                      Or you can get a bunch of them
                      http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=MSD%2D8805
                      I think you can call msd and request a free one.
                      Last edited by ya_whatever; April 22, 2004, 09:10 PM.
                      93 gt
                      95 tbird sc
                      2010 focus ses

Comment

Alright I just read through all the posts and I happen to have an extra '96 Distributor so I thought I would take some pictures and see if I could help out at all. I got my ohm meter out and found there there is continuity between the red arrows...now I don't know if this is what you all were wanting to know, but if not tell me for sure what you need to know on the '96 disty and I'll check it out.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mafansle...stributor1.jpg
                        http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mafansle...stributor2.jpg

There was no continuity between the other 2 terminals with any of the terminals on the 3 pin connector
                        Matt Fansler
                        95 PGT Laser Red, Chrome Swirlies, 145K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Mattfan
                          Alright I just read through all the posts and I happen to have an extra '96 Distributor so I thought I would take some pictures and see if I could help out at all. I got my ohm meter out and found there there is continuity between the red arrows...now I don't know if this is what you all were wanting to know, but if not tell me for sure what you need to know on the '96 disty and I'll check it out.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mafansle...stributor1.jpg
                          http://filebox.vt.edu/users/mafansle...stributor2.jpg

There was no continuity between the other 2 terminals with any of the terminals on the 3 pin connector

I belive thats the one you'd want to disconnect, The other two terminals should be the ignition pulse and ignition ground on the large connecter, the first 2 near the 3 pin connector. You can also disconnect all 3 I chiseled out the old ignitor in my 93 and it works fine with the hei as it's only the ignition ground that we've left hooked up.
                          Last edited by ya_whatever; April 23, 2004, 05:07 PM.
                          93 gt
                          95 tbird sc
                          2010 focus ses

Comment

One last thing. If I use the Blaster coil, do I need to worry about a condenser? If so, where does it need to be wired.

Comment

Originally posted by Noob95
                              One last thing. If I use the Blaster coil, do I need to worry about a condenser? If so, where does it need to be wired.
                              If I had a '95, that's exactly how I'd do it. It gets real easy with an external coil. You prolly don't need a cap, but if you did, it would go from HEI's pin "B" to ground to keep some of the spikes off the 12 volt system.

Comment

I did the ignitor module thingy and..
                                the unit is getting pretty hot is that normal.? I think A fan will solve this
                                but I mounted it on a big plate from aluminium and still getting hot (I burned my finger) is this normal or should I get a fan ?
                                engine is running fine for the 20min test ride
                                CAI,borla,rbs,64 TB,sts,headers,JJ testpipe,Nx
                                daily driven and HEI module
                                I`m learning here!

Comment

Working...
                                X