Sunroof Delete ::HOWPROBABLYNOTTO::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof Delete ::HOWPROBABLYNOTTO::

Well each x-mas break i choose a project to keep me busy, this year is was deleting the sunroof from the probe. Certainly not a fun/interesting project but im sick of it leaking and for some reason i like to torture myself.

1) find a donor roof (from a non sunroof version)

2) remove old sunroof

3) mark out

4) nibble away

5) test fit

6) remove paint (note bog/rust removed in bottom left corner)

7) test fit

8) start the BS welding

points to note:
    - i am not an auto-body repair person, i cannot weld well so don't expect a nice next picture!
    - i could have sat it flush in the old sunroof hole, i chose to overlap it by approx 10mm.
    - the roof curvature appears to be different (the back near the hatch curves off quickly to the sunroof) im not changing this.
    - i will paint it myself, if it turns out crap then ill put a wrap over it
    - more to come soon.
    Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
    Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
    Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

For future similar projects -you could get yourself a pneumatic lip former. And there are adhesives known to man that will bond metal to metal nearly as good as a weld. Form a half inch lip all the way around. Glue in cut piece of metal and then you have yourself a flush fit patch with very little body work required. I have a lip former -and it is highly recommended.

If you don't trust bonding glues -you can always add a hole dimpler to your tool collection and use countersunk head rivets along with the bonding glue.\

P.S. Your welding looks pretty good to me so far.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
      For future similar projects -you could get yourself a pneumatic lip former. And there are adhesives known to man that will bond metal to metal nearly as good as a weld. Form a half inch lip all the way around. Glue in cut piece of metal and then you have yourself a flush fit patch with very little body work required. I have a lip former -and it is highly recommended.
      I looked into the glue and would have gone that way except the roof panel isn't reinforced and it would raise up the panel even further (meaning more bog). I will however be using metal glue from the inside to help increase the overall strength. I also could have formed the lip but if i was going to do that i would have just found an original sunroof panel and welded that in. The metal is VERY thin, less than 0.8mm thick so i didn't want to warp it forming it either.

9) 1/1000th through spot welding, i decided from here to just fill the rest as it was killing me.

10) half way through grinding back the welds, looks like it took 5min but it was closer to half a day

11) where i am leaving it for today.... bog, prime/fill, sand and repeat x10 has worn me out today.

The good new is its getting close to flat from what my eye can see.
      Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
      Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post

The good new is its getting close to flat from what my eye can see.
        Looking good to me. I had thought about filling in the dreaded hole on one of mine before -and not because of leaks -but because of air rattling. Mine would make noise at highway speed. And since the top wasn't glass -there was not really any use for it for me. I had tried using it once or twice -but they are actually quite lame. A window down does a far better job of keeping me cool on hot summer days.

Although -I do not have the welding skills that you have (nor the patience). That is a lot of very fine spots that would have been burn-thru holes for me. If I ever do fill one of those on one of mine (hahaha) I will use my lapper and glue technique. But -unless the glass top in my black one leaks -it will remain untouched. I already have far too many projects.

Keep pressing away at it -it looks good and I am anxious to see the finished product. I am amazed that you could even find a spare parts car "down under" to cut a top from. Aren't Probes fairly rare down there?
        Restoration of a legend

Comment

The last pic isn't looking too bad.

When I was doing the body work on my pgt, I removed the door lock holes and antenna hole.

It obviously wasn't the amount of welding, grinding, sanding, and filler you are doing. But even the amount I did helped me realize I don't want to do body work ever again.

So I can sympathize with you.
          '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
          '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
            I am amazed that you could even find a spare parts car "down under" to cut a top from. Aren't Probes fairly rare down there?
            2000 were imported here, up until about 3 years ago i still saw plenty on the roads. now im lucky to see one a month.

Originally posted by Greg 94 PGT View Post
            When I was doing the body work on my pgt, I removed the door lock holes and antenna hole.

It obviously wasn't the amount of welding, grinding, sanding, and filler you are doing. But even the amount I did helped me realize I don't want to do body work ever again.
            Years ago i got someone to weld in an Australian 20c coin into my door locks (they fit perfectly) i did the bog/prime work on that and the antenna and they came out perfect. This sunroof project is 10000000000000x more work.
            http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ting/day2b.jpg

12) hope nobody works in conditions like i am (39.3c = 103f), ignore the top temp that is the air temp inside my rainwater tank.

13) I hate those little holes that are too big for the primer/filler but too small for the bog! trying to fill those but ended up using bog then sanding back what felt like 100kg of bog with 1600 sandpaper

14) Full coat of filler on the new section of roof

15) sanded that back one last time.... yes there is a dent in the middle of the roof (white part, probably from removing the internal structural support)

Tonight its getting one more coat of filler and that's it. Ive had enough of this project now, im going to go lay down somewhere cool.

Comment

Wait a minute... this was the perspex sunroof?
              Probe out for Harambe
              94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
                Wait a minute... this was the perspex sunroof?
                Yes it was.

Comment

Aww
                  Probe out for Harambe
                  94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I have not seen this to be done before.

Comment

its pretty much done for now, its glossed and ive rubbed it back with 2000 wet and dry, just waiting for a polishing pad to finish it off. came out ok for a rattle can job. will post pics once i complete my next project.

Comment

base coat:

after gloss:

close up (prior to 2000 wet sand and polishing):

all done (and now water resistant!):

Comment

Great job!
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

It came out great. Bet you're relieved now.
                            '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                            '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Finished product looks great! Nice work.
                              1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                              1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                              2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                              2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                              2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Working...
                              X