Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy KLDE

Hello
    10k ago i changed timing belt, waterpump with pulleys and timing belt tensioner but i still didn't get rid of noisy engine and its driving me crazy. I was dumb enough not to change friction gear springs maybe its caused by that? Are those noisy injectors clicking? What is that clunking sound that comes and goes after every 2 seconds? I noticed that engine is shaking so probably a motor mount has gone bad. When summer comes i prolly do engine mounts and friction gear springs, maybe even lifters but i would like your help to identify the clunking sound so i can eliminate that when im tearing half of the engine a part again.

https://youtu.be/ipTPuVmF5p4

Looks and sounds like mine when i didn't have it timed right. Turn your disty clockwise a bit. (thats a guess, you could jump your diagnostic box and double check the timing for real)

PS. Where did you get that intake badge?
    Last edited by J_Unit; March 16, 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Unit View Post
      Looks and sounds like mine when i didn't have it timed right. Turn your disty clockwise a bit. (thats a guess, you could jump your diagnostic box and double check the timing for real)

PS. Where did you get that intake badge?
      That is a good idea, i haven't considered it to be off timing from ignition!

About the badge, while i had disassembled my engine for timing belt change, headers and other minor stuff and i was waiting for parts i got bored and custom ordered the sticker because i lost the original one when i was painting the manifold.

I contacted some random local sticker maker, sent him a font site:
      http://www.dafont.com/ausprobe.font
      And a sctech i made with measurements:
      https://www.upload.ee/image/6791224/...l_Probe_V6.PNG

(sry im European so i use millimeters)

With that info any local sticker can make you a any text you need in probe logo.

Comment

Well timing was 4 degrees off, got that fixed but nothing much changed, still making those noises. I also changed crank pulley because it was bit wobbling and its doing the same thing with new pulley, maybe the crank is unbalanced, but still it does sound like top end noise coming from rear bank.

Maybe the rear bank cam pulley has skipped teeth on timing belt? I put new timing belt tensioner on when i changed the timing belt but still it sounds bit like timing belt tensioner clunking.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Wavoz View Post
          Maybe the rear bank cam pulley has skipped teeth on timing belt? I put new timing belt tensioner on when i changed the timing belt but still it sounds bit like timing belt tensioner clunking.

Any ideas?
          Three things make valve train sounding noise (at least as I have discovered)

1) dirty/defective HLAs
          2) friction springs
          3) hydraulic tensioner

When the tensioner has insufficient hydraulic pressure inside -it allows the belt to be loose. This causes bouncing of the belt when running due to the cams turning and hitting those void areas (where no valve lift is present against all valves on that bank).

This bouncing of the belt -causes the tensioner to "catch air" against the tensioner fulcrum. And as this happens continuously -the resulting sound is a very loud valve train sounding tapping noise.

But this "belt bouncing" can be seen visually while the engine is running -if you do not have belt covers.

If the tensioner hydro pressure is low -you will eventually end up skipping teeth on the belt.
          Success is a measure of determination!
          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
            Three things make valve train sounding noise (at least as I have discovered)

1) dirty/defective HLAs
            2) friction springs
            3) hydraulic tensioner

When the tensioner has insufficient hydraulic pressure inside -it allows the belt to be loose. This causes bouncing of the belt when running due to the cams turning and hitting those void areas (where no valve lift is present against all valves on that bank).

This bouncing of the belt -causes the tensioner to "catch air" against the tensioner fulcrum. And as this happens continuously -the resulting sound is a very loud valve train sounding tapping noise.

But this "belt bouncing" can be seen visually while the engine is running -if you do not have belt covers.

If the tensioner hydro pressure is low -you will eventually end up skipping teeth on the belt.
            Thank you for your input!
            It can be either of these things, but i dont think its the tensioner because it was really solid when i replaced it.

I stumbled upon someones video about klde ticking and it seems to be doing the same sound as mine.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVUb99tvDc

He ended up finding cracked valve spring retainer, i guess only way finding it out is to trear the engine apart again which i will do in summer. I wonder if i can drive till that or the valve might fall on top of piston and do even 1000 times worse damage.
            Either way im going to have to find some temporary daily driver fast

Comment

Originally posted by Wavoz View Post
              Thank you for your input!
              It can be either of these things, but i dont think its the tensioner because it was really solid when i replaced it.

I stumbled upon someones video about klde ticking and it seems to be doing the same sound as mine.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVUb99tvDc

He ended up finding cracked valve spring retainer, i guess only way finding it out is to trear the engine apart again which i will do in summer. I wonder if i can drive till that or the valve might fall on top of piston and do even 1000 times worse damage.
              Either way im going to have to find some temporary daily driver fast
              I doubt that it will be a cracked retainer unless you have KL-31 heads on your KLDE. And if that be the case and you suspect a cracked retainer -and want to drive it that way Yes -1000 times the damage!
              Success is a measure of determination!
              Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
              $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
              Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
              Restoration of a legend

Comment

Working...
              X