Intermittent check engine while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent check engine while driving

I first noticed the quick check engine light while driving about few months ago. But it went off after few seconds and hasn't come back until about a week ago.

A week ago CE light came on for 5-10 seconds while driving then went off for few minutes then repeated it one more time.

A few days ago this started happening more often to the point that today this is what is does (see video):

https://youtu.be/1PwOqT41Lcg

Light turning ON seems to coincide with a decelerating car and turning OFF with accelerating car but is not a perfect correlation.

Here is what my engine sounds and looks like while parked:

https://youtu.be/fnVSGLxtF3c

Car drives fine and idles fine and does everything fine. Only problem I think it has is a flying wheel in not very good condition because i can hear bushing sequel when it is cold and I think a lifter may be shot, because I can hear ticking until oil circulates, which takes a minute or so. There is also some tapping sound coming from the engine time to time - which I am not sure what is and hope not a rod knock.

Any ideas what is this CEL related to? And what should I do?

Since yours is a 1995, you'd need to have a code reader to start narrowing down what CEL you're getting. Many parts stores like O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, etc will read the code for you with one of their scanners.

Comment

Mine is OBD I, but the CEL doesn't stay so I did not attempt the paper clip thing? I am not sure if it will read something. But I guess I have to do that and check for codes.

Comment

Any code(s) that has lit the CEL light will be stored and will flash repeatedly in sequence until you have time to see what it is.

Comment

You mean when I will do the paper clip reading? Or you mean that's what it is doing now?

Comment

When you do the paperclip reading.

Comment

Ima try and not sound like an ass so I will just say go to scpoc.com under maintenance and 2.5L section and find out why the damn bulb is blinking
              1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
              1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
              2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
              2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
              1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
                Ima try and not sound like an ass so I will just say go to scpoc.com under maintenance and 2.5L section and find out why the damn bulb is blinking
                If you read carefully my post, you will learn that it is not blinking. It illuminates sometime and goes away for a long time until it illuminates again. So it does not blink out the code that I can check in scpoc or many more other places. I will check today if the codes are store and I can read them, but I suspect that if there are codes that CEL stays always on, so I might now even get anything. But thanks for pointing me a source of codes though.

Comment

The CEL does not have to stay on all the time for a code to be stored. I had a similar intermittent CEL issue a few years back. I retrieved the code with the paper clip trick. In my case it was an O2 sensor code.

Comment

Originally posted by iraklic View Post
                    You mean when I will do the paper clip reading? Or you mean that's what it is doing now?
                    Originally posted by iraklic View Post
                    If you read carefully my post, you will learn that it is not blinking. It illuminates sometime and goes away for a long time until it illuminates again. So it does not blink out the code that I can check in scpoc or many more other places. I will check today if the codes are store and I can read them, but I suspect that if there are codes that CEL stays always on, so I might now even get anything. But thanks for pointing me a source of codes though.
                    You mean you were just second guessing my post the first time then since you'd obviously not tried the paper clip reading suggestion before responding?

But seeing as how you've asked others to "read your posts carefully", when a person does that, it seems that second-guessing everyone is what you're STILL doing since you've STILL not tried reading your codes with a paper clip.

So rather than continue to bust the balls of the people who are trying to help you, why don't you save that $#!+ for people who actually deserve it AND GO TRY TO READ YOUR DAMN CODES that you believe probably aren't there.

I suspect you'll find some that ARE stored.

Comment

So, if I am reading my CEL codes right it is 16 and 41 and those are
                      16 : EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor
                      14 : Variable Resonance Induction System (VRIS) Solenoid #1/High Speed Inlet Air (HSIA) Solenoid

Any suggestions for next steps?

Comment

Working...
                      X