Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Belt/Water Pump Replacement with Pictures :) ...and instructions.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You!

This is the post that I've been waiting for, a clear definitive answer to doing the timing belt with minor tools. Thanks! I will be carefully studying your procedure. My car got a new timing belt and water pump but I'll be needing to replace the rear header gasket in the future due to minor coolant leat causing hard starts. I intend to do that myself due to very high labor costs.

Comment

Simply wonderful.
      This would have helped me a ton a few months ago when I tackled this job in a parking garage @ 1am.

The breakerbar against the A-arm is a great trick when you don't have air tools.

What are splash guards?
      David Coleman #1891 - Fastest of any Gen @ MMIV:
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GSR Special Edition - PINK POWA! - KLZE powered!

The Idiot Post Patrol :
      Fighting ignorance one post at a time [this public service brought to you by Nikki and David]

Comment

damn, this is good, one question though

recently i started to notice that i have a constant noize comming from the timing belt area. It sounds like rubbing of some sort. Could it be anything that you mentioned here. Its really pissing me off esecially that i did the timing belt 15k miles ago. Let me know, thanx bro.

Also, how much will you charge for me to bring my car to you and do this with me. All of it, including the friction spring. Thanx
        '93 Black on Black with Black Leather GT
        PARTING OUT PROBE
        Parting Out Probe
        18"x8" SSR GT1 with Tires 4 Sale

Comment

Re: damn, this is good, one question though

Originally posted by SLICKGT1
          recently i started to notice that i have a constant noize comming from the timing belt area. It sounds like rubbing of some sort. Could it be anything that you mentioned here.

Also, how much will you charge for me to bring my car to you and do this with me. All of it, including the friction spring. Thanx
          Are you saying you want to drive from Brooklyn, NY to Minnesota to have your car worked on ?!?

Doesn't sound like the tensioner arm......that makes a knocking noise like a hammer hitting a paint can.

Friction Gear Spring is like a grinding noise or ratchet noise.

Sure it's not an accessory belt or alternator bearing or something?
          1995 PGT F/S.... car listed in forums...

Comment

Re: Re: damn, this is good, one question though

Originally posted by leska

Are you saying you want to drive from Brooklyn, NY to Minnesota to have your car worked on ?!?

Doesn't sound like the tensioner arm......that makes a knocking noise like a hammer hitting a paint can.

Friction Gear Spring is like a grinding noise or ratchet noise.

Sure it's not an accessory belt or alternator bearing or something?
            Yea, you are probably right on the driving part. I dont know, but it does seem to have started after the my UDP got installed. Maybee the tensioner is on too tight. Could that be it? Or should i just tighten or loosen the tensioner. thanx for your help in advance.
            '93 Black on Black with Black Leather GT
            PARTING OUT PROBE
            Parting Out Probe
            18"x8" SSR GT1 with Tires 4 Sale

Comment

FANTASTIC WORK

I have almost 80k km's on my probe now and will be looking into replacing the timing belt and water pump shortly.
              I have worked on my previous car(XF fairmont Ghia) replacing the head etc but was going to have mazda replace the timing belt when required.
              But after reading your comments and instructions above, I might just kick some butt my self.
              I have a 97 SV probe, which is comparible to OB1 on Aussie probes at least. So Im assuming parts will be compatible to 93-94 US probes.
              Any idea on prices for the above items, timing belt, tensioner and water pump?

Im also curious about how long my belt will actually last considering I have read in the past that the Californian probe belt replacements are recommended at 105k miles.
              Are these identical belts to the standard probe?
              Jerry
              probe corner

Comment

well I was planning on doing this myself with my uncle's help.
                After he popped the hood on my car, he wrote me a check for 400 dollars to go get it done.
                I just dropped my car off to my mechanics and they might should it done tomorrow morning. After looking at those pictures posted of the steps, I don't want to touch this water pump install with a 10 foot pole. The mechanic also said when I dropped it off that the rating on the install is a level "A" meaning it is an advanced install, however he worded it.
                NoclssGT.com
                PhotoPOC
                DaddyPOC
                1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4

Comment

Jerry

The belts are the same and people have gone upto 120k miles safely!

Comment

Only thing im worried about is that open bearing, yes u say their is no dirt that can get in because its clean but what about bearing lubricant. Sealed bearings have grease in them of some kind and this one is dry that has no seal and if it does have grease in it wont it fling out after a short time. I've took sealed bearings apart and they do have grease in them that ive found. I'm just wondering, who knows this could be a stupid question.

Comment

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

The trick is, there are two bearings, one at each end of the pulley. So it is actually an air tight seal, well almost.

I'm just wondering if the gease will escape the bearing anyway. It may not get dirty but, run dry...

But I believe leska said the stock bearings have the inner seal removed as well so...
                      94 PGT MTX/Borla Cat-back/Kumho 712s/PIAA 1400XP/PRM CAI/Remote starter/RR-Racing Motor Mount Inserts

http://sirk.sytes.net

Comment

Does anyone know the type and size of the bearings in the accessory belt pullies?

leska must have went on vacation! slacker!

Thanks!
                        94 PGT MTX/Borla Cat-back/Kumho 712s/PIAA 1400XP/PRM CAI/Remote starter/RR-Racing Motor Mount Inserts

Comment

Re: Jerry

Originally posted by TakimanPGT
                          The belts are the same and people have gone upto 120k miles safely!
                          BTW, 60k miles change interval is a general number that applies to all Probes. It's just a "it will definately last that long under any conditions" number.

For us folk who live amongst the Tundra , the cold dry air really kills these rubber belts. So we should change them at 60k.

Comment

But still, what he wrote is that yes both bearings have only one seal but both pointing outwards keeping it clean and juicy:smile: but the new bearing still has to run dry with no seals. The old bearings open ends face toward each other thus making one bear sorda speek.. I dont know but for 40% less drag on a simple bearing i sure as hell would'nt notice that for a possible bearing failure.

Comment

Well, he obviously meant to install them the same way.

I wonder if it would cause any problems to leave the seals intacted... other than a little more drag. It can't make that much of a difference?

Comment

Quick question what is CEL 16?

I have a KLZE in my mx3 and the EGR is not hook up. Is cel 16 for that or is it a Ghost code??
                                thanks
                                92 MX3 GSR 2.5L KLZE need I say more?

Comment

Working...
                                X