Speedometer Cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Cable...

Mine snapped off about a year and a half ago and I've been using the tachometer to see what speed I'm going. I'm just wondering...how would I go about replacing this? I'm new to the repair scene, so I need a step by step procedure!

Khemo

First off which part of the cable broke?

Comment

look in the 1st gen performance forum and check the 1G Probe/MX6 FAQ.
      Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
      1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
      "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

Originally posted by FLAPOC-Pres
        First off which part of the cable broke?
        To be honest with you, I'm not sure. I was just driving one day and heard a pop right before my speedometer went to "0."

Comment

If you heard the "pop" (as you described it), I would think that the cable broke off inside the passenger compartment - in other words, disconnected right behind the speedometer.

Try pulling the whole instrument cluster apart and checking the connection right behind the speedometer.

If it is not a physical break there, then follow the cable out through the engine compartment (the cable is comes through the fire wall to the left of the brake fluid reservoir when standing in front of the vehicle looking at the engine). As the cable gets closer to the transmission, it will have another connection point - check to see if it is still connected.
          Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
          1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
          "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

Working...
          X