This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news!

This is basically the same as my upgrade.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-oth...grade-how.html

The 98+ 626 V6 uses the exact same rotors as the early 6 as well as the MS protege. The only difference is the caliper/bracket sets. Which are interchangeable as long as you use them in matching sets.

I have been waiting for a while to find out if the 6 calipers/brackets fit because that means the MS 6 parts would too. According to the 6 guys the MS6 brakes are a direct swap to the base 6.

The base 6 uses the same type of Ebrake as ours so it'll still work.

For my part the brakes work great but there may be bennifits to using later model calipers. Rigidity mostly but that remains to be seen.

I use 626 calipers/brackets with stock mx6 rear calipers with the 626 brackets.

The MS6 calipers are different and come from Volvo.

Originally posted by Domino81 View Post
    There IS a mod for a dual piston setup I had saved on my old HD before I replaced it. I believe it was a complete direct swap from a Subaru. Same pads, rotors, just swap over dual piston calipers.

The bolt spacing is different between the 1st gen and 2nd gen. The spindles will proabably swap though so no fab work would be involved.

Originally posted by David Halbleib View Post
    Anyone know what it would take to moddify these to fit a 1st gen? <hint> Pat </hint>

You should be able to swap the 2nd gen spindle at the front atleast. Dont know about the rear.
    Last edited by ls-6; May 24, 2008, 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_96PGT View Post
      Cool!
      Just bought 2006 front Left and Right Calipers for $130.00 shipped.
      From a wrecked car. (their loss my gain).

You bought the ones on ebay that were 50$/each
      I saw them there to
      KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

Sure did! Now I am waiting on a reply for related parts from the same car.
        Rick_96PGTâ„¢ #62
        "I never apologize.
        I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."
        - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Domino81 View Post
          But this is still a single piston caliper?
          Yes it is...and unless you're doing some serious track racing with your car, it doesn't make a difference for the street queens other than the visual aspect maybe...:-)
          Nothing worth a V6 purring...

Comment

Originally posted by ls-6 View Post
            Great news!

This is basically the same as my upgrade.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-oth...grade-how.html
            I recently completed this upgrade, 01 626 calipers all around from a local yard at 25 apiece. Added caliper rebuild kits (7 bucks apiece), rotors and 626 front pads to complete the upgrade. No issues and makes an open design 5 spoke 18" look more factory. Thanks LS-6 !! Slight improvement in braking but I'm running cheapo pads.
            [97 GTS] SSAC Headers | 2.5 mandrel catback | Vibrant Streetpro exh | Tein SS-P | RSTB | STS | AWR Links | MX3 Flywheel | CM1

Comment

Originally posted by micb93pgt View Post
              I recently completed this upgrade, 01 626 calipers all around from a local yard at 25 apiece. Added caliper rebuild kits (7 bucks apiece), rotors and 626 front pads to complete the upgrade. No issues and makes an open design 5 spoke 18" look more factory. Thanks LS-6 !! Slight improvement in braking but I'm running cheapo pads.
              Yeah my pads/rotors are just duralast but they do work great. Mine were almost gone before I did this upgrade so I cant really recall how strong the OE's were but the real bennifit will be the added mass.

I'm glad you used the 626 calipers with their brackets. Me and another mx6.com member have had issues with using mx6/probe calipers on the late 626 brackets.

Comment

Sounds like a cool mod but still there are a few questions:

Are the front calipers from a MS6 / 6 MSP dual piston or single piston like the ones from a normal 6? I cant find that information on the web... What size are the ms6 rotors? Are they the same as the ms3 / 3 mps front brakes?

Reason I am thinking about this: Brembo Brake-setup for the mazda 6 is sold for both 6 and MS6 (same article), so if the front brakes are interchangeable and it is already proven, that 6 brakes fit the probe, ms6 brakes should also do..

Just ordered a new mazda EPC including the ms6 to find out exactly, but would be great to hear others on this topic.

thanks

Comment

Sticky, definedly!!

I bought crappy calipers last autumn from a wrecked car also. They are from Mazda 626 2.0TD. The diameter of rotors in the car was 275mm, it makes 10,8". They are a direct swap also. Those calipers are just so dirty that I dunno if I will ever use them.
                  Do you guys know can I use these calipers with those 626's 11,1" rotors? Or do I need different calipers? These came out from Mazda 626 Estate 2.0TD 2000. Are those 10,8" the only option?

So in a nutshell also, if I want to add better rear brake power can I go with Mazda 6 2003 - 2005 rear brake calipers, so the E-Brake will fit without modifications?
                  94' Probe GT ZE with most of the bolt-ons and some minor modifications
                  http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/ollibeib/PGT/ - Pictures of my PGT

Comment

Originally posted by ollibeib View Post
                    Sticky, definedly!!

I bought crappy calipers last autumn from a wrecked car also. They are from Mazda 626 2.0TD. The diameter of rotors in the car was 275mm, it makes 10,8". They are a direct swap also. Those calipers are just so dirty that I dunno if I will ever use them.
                    Do you guys know can I use these calipers with those 626's 11,1" rotors? Or do I need different calipers? These came out from Mazda 626 Estate 2.0TD 2000. Are those 10,8" the only option?

So in a nutshell also, if I want to add better rear brake power can I go with Mazda 6 2003 - 2005 rear brake calipers, so the E-Brake will fit without modifications?
                    A caliper is made to fit a certain rotor. If you increase the size of the rotor, you need a different caliper (or maybe just caliper bracket). For the E-Brake, as stated previously, you will loose the E-Brake if youy install Mazda6 brakes in the rear.
                    KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

Thanks for the fast answer.

So basically (I'm a bit handicapped to get parts while living in Finland) I should go for Mazda 6 front calipers + rotors (11,1") and Protege rear calipers + rotors to get bigger rotors and slightly better brakes in order to get totally bolt-on kit without losing the e-brake?

Or to go with 275mm front rotor and my 2.0TD calipers in front

Right?

Comment

I would go with the first option.

Originally posted by aholic View Post
                        Sounds like a cool mod but still there are a few questions:

Are the front calipers from a MS6 / 6 MSP dual piston or single piston like the ones from a normal 6? I cant find that information on the web... What size are the ms6 rotors? Are they the same as the ms3 / 3 mps front brakes?

Reason I am thinking about this: Brembo Brake-setup for the mazda 6 is sold for both 6 and MS6 (same article), so if the front brakes are interchangeable and it is already proven, that 6 brakes fit the probe, ms6 brakes should also do..

Just ordered a new mazda EPC including the ms6 to find out exactly, but would be great to hear others on this topic.

thanks
                        If you read what was said before, the size or the rotors was mentionned for both the 6 (2003-05 & 2006 +)and MS6. With the MS6 brakes you'll need a minimum of a 17" wheel in order for them to fit.
                        Last edited by PGT97_Racer; May 27, 2008, 04:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by MetalPGT View Post
                          Guys and gals,

I presently have 06-07 Mazda 6 front disc+calipers on my 93 PGT track car: Bolt-on perfectly onto the Probe hub. So:

Disc diameter:

03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
                          06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
                          06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.2" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum

Cheap and reliable upgrade from our original poor 10.2" disc diameter!
                          Now, besides the caliper, rotor, and pads. You would need the bracket, right? The bracket would be the hardest thing to find. If you were to order stuff online.
                          270whp - 251tq

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
                          function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Comment

Originally posted by funzie View Post
                            Now, besides the caliper, rotor, and pads. You would need the bracket, right? The bracket would be the hardest thing to find. If you were to order stuff online.
                            the bracket should come with the caliper... just make sure to buy the caliper unit fully loaded...

***this bracket that your thinking of isnt a bracket that holds the caliper to the hub

it's the bracket that slide sinto the caliper with the glide pins to hold the pads secure against the caliper itself...***

hope this clears some confusion if thats what you were thinking...
                            05 Lotus Elise
                            95 black pgt-ze... sold

facebook

Comment

Yes, the one where the caliper slides onto, which is also the part that attaches to the hub. As far as I know they do not come with the caliper assembly.

Well this morning I bought some brand new 2006 calipers, rotors, and pads. So I will know if they fit this weekend. Has anybody tried the rear calipers, they have the same ebrake mechanism, so as long as they bolt up it they should work.
                              Last edited by funzie; May 28, 2008, 07:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              270whp - 251tq

$mycar = driving(FALSE, TRUE);
                              function driving($filter, $turbo) { if(!$filter && $turbo) { return TRUE; } else { return FALSE; } }

Comment

I also found & bought Mazda 6 front calipers from 10k km driven 2006 auto. They seem to be in great condition, and both 150e shipped. Not bad I think.

I'm now waiting to get Protege rear calipers and plates to get Probe stopping.

BTW I'm going to a track tomorrow to test my Probe first time, and I'm going to do it again after 4 weeks. I think it will be a good test to try if this setup would give me more braking power with it's better looks too

I hope one admin could come here and make this a sticky. This thread saves money, time and gives everyone good tips how to make their brakes better looking and bit more powerfull

Comment

Working...
                                X