Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HLA, what are they, why do they tick, how to clean them, dissassemly/reassembly......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil swap for HLAs

I switched to Valvoline 10-40 Maxlife from Castrol Syntec 10-40.

I still think it was the Ford Motocraft filter. I am using a Wix which has a valve for drain back in it now and it seems to be working. .

I now have valve guides that are leaking and smoking when starting it in the mornings. I actually used the 20-50 Maxlife and Lucas treatment and no HLA ticking. So I still think it is the filter because have change the oil consistancy messing wihtit to try to reduce the smoke in the mornings. I am going to fix the head problem though.
    94 MX6 LS
    U/R Pulley, K&N FIPK, Home made CAI, Ported manifold, Dynomax catbacked, Ram clutch

Comment

my pgt makes a loud poping noise. my dad says that it sounds exactly like a bent pushrod. do you guys think it could be the HLAs by the way it has 165,000
      94 PGT-T Blanchard V "most interior panels missing" winner (parted out)
      90 miata t3/t4, meagsquirt, and more
      95 lincoln mark VIII
      06 GSXR 600

Comment

Originally posted by bryantaylor
        my pgt makes a loud poping noise. my dad says that it sounds exactly like a bent pushrod. do you guys think it could be the HLAs by the way it has 165,000
        My guesses=

1. bad tensioner
        2. colapsed HLA

~Aaron

These engines have no pushrods.
        ~Aaron~
        1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

yea i know i was just useing it as a descreption
          94 PGT-T Blanchard V "most interior panels missing" winner (parted out)
          90 miata t3/t4, meagsquirt, and more
          95 lincoln mark VIII
          06 GSXR 600

Comment

HLA good, HLA bad?

Hi Hoh Silver!
            I just pulled some heads off a 65k motor with a bad rod bearing to use on my 160k motor. I am going to freshen up the bottom end and ring it.

I was poking at the lifters and notice one that was not compressing at all and an other that was real soft. Is this not a good sign? the others seemed to be all pretty uniform compression pressure by the thumb gauge. This just seems a little odd?
            94 MX6 LS
            U/R Pulley, K&N FIPK, Home made CAI, Ported manifold, Dynomax catbacked, Ram clutch

Comment

Re: HLA good, HLA bad?

Originally posted by John Arnold
              Hi Hoh Silver!
              I just pulled some heads off a 65k motor with a bad rod bearing to use on my 160k motor. I am going to freshen up the bottom end and ring it.

I was poking at the lifters and notice one that was not compressing at all and an other that was real soft. Is this not a good sign? the others seemed to be all pretty uniform compression pressure by the thumb gauge. This just seems a little odd?
              If the HLA's hold their pressure when the engine is torn down, then yes they should compress with great difficulty. If they compress easily, then they are either full of gunk thus causing the backflow ball not to trap the oil, or the oil port that feeds the HLA is clogged.

My spare set of heads, which i used one HLA to take the picks, has 40K on them. When I filled one of the HLA's with oil and put it back in place, the valve opened when the cam was torqued down. I pulled it back out and tried to compress it with my hands, and no luck, I took a pair of rubber handled pliars, and a rag and tried to compress the HLA with all my upperbody strength and I couldn't move it. (BTW, I'm 6'3" and weight 230lbs.)

If an HLA is functioning properly, then you shouldn't be able to compress it at all, but if the springs get weak, or they get dirty, forget it.

~Aaron
              ~Aaron~

Comment

Ok, I have been a Mobil1 user, but I am rethinking that position now. I don't think I have a HLA problem, but I don't want to get one either. ;-)

I am looking at an Amsoil catalog, and it seems like there are two products that are very similar: ASL and AMO. Which should I use?

I have been running Mobil1 5W-30 in the car. (I always thought the manual said to use 5W-30, but I could be wrong.)

The ASL is a 5W-30. (Is it really safe to leave this stuff in the engine for 25k?)

The AMO is a 10W-40.

Which should I be using? The descriptions seem quite similar, so I am leaning toward the ASL 5w-30.

-Matt
                05 Black Ford Focus ST
                96 Black Probe GT MTX (sold)
                95 Black Eagle Talon TSI AWD (sold)
                I don't like black. Why do I keep buying black cars?

Comment

Originally posted by 313-Matt
                  The ASL is a 5W-30. (Is it really safe to leave this stuff in the engine for 25k?)
                  Regualr oil changes need to be done @ 3000 miles, weather it be synthetic or not.

However, some will argue that synthetic holds up better and can be run for 4000-5000 miles. I disagree with this though.

As for which is best, I have no idea, as I am stricktly a Castrol user.

~Aaron
                  ~Aaron~

Comment

I love to use 10w30 or just strait 30w in full synthetic.

Matt
                    R.I.P. Roy W Clark You will be missed.
                    06 subaru Impreza 2.5i siting on cobs" wrecked
                    "Sir, you got crack paraphenalia in your spagetie noodles"
                    Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
                    ...Its like a ride cushioned by a load of poo ...

Comment

Synthetics could be left in longer if you ran your car in a dirt-free environment. But the fact is that most cars nowadays have motor oil much better than the filters... hence the need to stick to what the manufacturer wanted.

If you ran a bypass filter system, then you could use a synthetic for longer.
                      95 PGT, 91 STS/DSP, 15.03 @ 93.4
                      08 WRB Subaru WRX STi (new addition to the family)
                      PGT Page
                      MS Region SCCA

Comment

Tick be gone!

Well, my car had been ticking and tapping on cold starts for a little while now and it was driving me nuts. I had to take my car to the shop Monday for some radiator work so I told my mechanic to flush the oil system. He did that and added a little bit of oil thickener to the mix and sent it on it's merry way. This morning was my first cold start since and it made a slight throbbing sound for about 2 seconds and then purred like it was brand new. I'm happy as a pig in sh*t. My water pump is on the way out, but other than that, the thing runs beautifully with 122,000 on the odometer. Flushing did the job for me.

Comment

Hey silver, my engine makes a tapping noise, and also a squeaking noise. I think the squeaking noise (sounds kinda like a belt slipping slightly) is caused by the bad friction gear spring, and I think the tapping is HLA tick.

If I record a sound file, do you think you'd be able to tell me what these noises are (or maybe you could just confirm my two thoughts on the matter)?
                          95 GT-ZE MTX

Comment

Couldn't hurt to try.

You'll have to host it on the net somewhere, or IM it to me so I can listen to it.

~Aaron
                            ~Aaron~

Comment

Are the HLA's filled with oil when you take them out? If you can compress it by hand while its filled with oil it is bad right? ANd is it possible to fill it with oil without taking it apart to test if you can compress it?
                              My SRT-4
                              Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

Silver Bullit, HLA pressure uneven

Silver Bullit,
                                I forgot to mention that the heads came off a motor which sat without running for over a year. Do you think this is why they are inconsistent. It could be that over all this time they sat being loaded against the valve on some and some not?
                                94 MX6 LS

Comment

Working...
                                X