Project Beautiful Beast work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
    proglasswindows makes molded/formed windows, different thicknesses, and tinted/non-tinted. They also make the full set or just one.

From an e-mail to them asking about Ford Probe availability...

"We do make those windows and they are all molded. The material is G.E. mar resistant Lexan. The set in 1/8 is 925.00 and with a 3/16 front add 60.00. The car needs formed windows to look right."

There is another member on here that has installed the rear tinted lexan window...
    Yeah, I'm definitely liking the idea of free over $925... especially when the weight savings is like 10lbs.

Originally posted by P1P View Post
    Might as well have done a complete fiberglass or carbon fiber door if you really trying to cut back on weight

I'm not trying to cut back on weight THAT much. Just trying to clean things up and reduce weight where I can, when its relatively easy and cheap. fiberglass/carbon fiber doors are neither easy or cheap.
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Ugh. I had most of this written out and my stupid computer decided to erase the whole thing. So now you get the watered down version.

e30 handle (upside down)

Cuts

Test fit

Mounted

Bends

You can get out now

Big cut

Big hole

Dash in

Dash out

Some clean up

More to come

Comment

Originally posted by proboner View Post
        Big cut
        What's the weight of this?
        Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
        STEVE B
        1993 Probe GT
        2016 Mustang

Comment

What wheels were originally on it? I love them lol. But dammit I wish my CS lip wasn't call cut up I would have just done what you did with your bumper.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Also what fogs did you use? if you remember
          1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
          Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
            What's the weight of this?
            It's not a whole lot... maybe 5 lbs? In the end when I add the abs "door panel" it'll probably come out weighing about the same. Maybe I'll weigh this door when it's finished (with the window out) and compare it to the weight of the stock door on the drivers side (with stock door panel) and see how much I saved. I doubt it will be much more than 20 lbs per side.

Originally posted by dammitcam View Post
            What wheels were originally on it? I love them lol. But dammit I wish my CS lip wasn't call cut up I would have just done what you did with your bumper.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Also what fogs did you use? if you remember
            Original wheels were ADR Fuels... I still have them sitting in the garage, but theyre like 12 years old and a couple have pretty bad curb rash.

Dont remember the fogs off the top of my head but I can find out if you really wanna know. To be honest I'm likely moving away from the corksport lip. I've only driven it once since I put the lip on and it's already cracked in 2 places. Looks like I'm heading for stock bumper with center post cut and a mach1 lip.

edit: and due to being bored at work... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0HH-004T-00ES3
            Last edited by proboner; May 24, 2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Bought some new tools to aid in fabrication...

Mounted the ECU, MS, etc. to the firewall

Obviously wiring still needs to be sorted and cleaned up...

Worked on door panels for the cut up door. First the rough template was traced out to make a final template.

Much cleaner

And transferred to 1/8" ABS plastic sheet

More to come...

Comment

And more is here...

Finished mounting the door panel after work today.

And with the door closed

This is going to be the end result of the passenger door for now, unless I find a side mirror that I like. Eventually I'll come back to it and fill all the little holes that used to mount the inner weather stripping, paint the door, wrap the ABS panel in CF vinyl, get some nicer finishing screws to mount the panel, and likely redo the tint on the window.

Comment

Another small update...
                  Looking to reduce a bit more weight in the doors, and bought some motorcycle side mirrors to that end.

Stock mirror

And again

Its gone!

New mirror mounted

Other angle

Not sure how I feel about it yet. Obviously I'm going to make something to cover where the stock side mirrors went.

Also ordered a scale today so I can get an idea of what kind of weight savings I'm actually looking at.

Comment

I'd been mulling around the idea of buying a relatively precise scale for a month or two now and even had gone so far as to find the ideal one of Amazon. After getting the aftermarket side mirrors and wanting to know the weight difference compared to stock, I finally pulled the trigger on the scale on Monday. Couple weights as of tonight...

Stock side mirror- 2lbs 6oz
                    Aftermarket side mirror- 9oz
                    Stockish battery- 29lbs 2oz
                    Aftermarket race battery- 13lbs 9oz
                    Passenger window with modified brackets- 11lbs 4oz
                    Completely stripped ZE intake manifold- 13lbs 7oz
                    Current cat back exhaust section- 15lbs 9oz
                    17x9 STR rim with 245/45/17 tire- 50lbs 5oz!!

Soon to be weighed...
                    Stock door with interior panel
                    Modified door in (basically) fully modified form sans window
                    Old 18x7.5 ADR Fuel rim with 225/40/18 tire
                    Other things

I must say, I wish I had purchased the scale at the beginning of this project

Comment

Always interesting to see where weight is saved. Enjoying the progress, car is coming along well!

Originally posted by proboner View Post
                      I'd been mulling around the idea of buying a relatively precise scale for a month or two now and even had gone so far as to find the ideal one of Amazon. After getting the aftermarket side mirrors and wanting to know the weight difference compared to stock, I finally pulled the trigger on the scale on Monday. Couple weights as of tonight...

Stock side mirror- 2lbs 6oz
                      Aftermarket side mirror- 9oz
                      Stockish battery- 29lbs 2oz
                      Aftermarket race battery- 13lbs 9oz
                      Passenger window with modified brackets- 11lbs 4oz
                      Completely stripped ZE intake manifold- 13lbs 7oz
                      Current cat back exhaust section- 15lbs 9oz
                      17x9 STR rim with 245/45/17 tire- 50lbs 5oz!!

Soon to be weighed...
                      Stock door with interior panel
                      Modified door in (basically) fully modified form sans window
                      Old 18x7.5 ADR Fuel rim with 225/40/18 tire
                      Other things

I must say, I wish I had purchased the scale at the beginning of this project
                      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

I'll post some updates later this weekend, but I've been weighing stuff and finally had a chance to weigh the stock door...

Stock door panel without handles or window switches- 7lbs 9oz
                        Stock door without door panel or speakers- 64lbs 10oz
                        Total stock door weight (minus speakers, interior door handles, window/lock/mirror adjust switches)- 72lbs 3oz

Versus the modified door at 46lbs 4oz, brings a weight savings of ~26lbs x 2 doors for a total weight savings of 52lbs. Not too shabby if you ask me. Obviously I could go more extreme; removing the door bracing, any possibility of having a window, all of the inner door, etc... but for something that still looks good and is fully functional, I'm pretty darn happy with it.

Comment

I am glad to see another project get underway. I always come here to get a little motivation to work on me.

I also like seeing stripped probes, they have the 240sx lines, and stance. Just missing a few key components for rwd.

Now just waiting for Dan to pipe up.
                          I think it's an obsession!
                          http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

i like where this thread is going. makes me want to go back and pull more weight off my car
                            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
                            Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
                            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Originally posted by stoker100 View Post
                              i like where this thread is going. makes me want to go back and pull more weight off my car
                              They do make diet pills.
                              I think it's an obsession!
                              http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

so you're the guy behind this mad project ! ) Joking...

Wish to see the final product, would be mind blowing ! Keep up the good works bro !
                                Last edited by filip_pine; August 23, 2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X