95 motor into 96 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 motor into 96 questions

Considering purchasing a 96 PGT atx and swapping my 95 mtx motor and trans into it. Questions are:

Is there any connections on the motor that are different other than maybe the distributor?

Also could the ecu from the 96 be swapped with the one from the 95? If so how is the wiring affected at the disty... Or if it is just a no go since I have my MS on my 95 how nice does MS play with OBD ll? Just wondering if anyone else has gone down this road before.

This other car has a cooked motor and I do not want anything to do with the atx but has a clean body. Just exploring my options, thinking it won't be too bad just to swap everything around. The atx-mtx swap doesn't bother me.

I need a master cylinder anyways so I'll be purchasing a new master, clutch master, neutral safety switch since mine is jacked, along with a booster if I go this route.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Strip both cars. Remove the full 96 harness carefully...from front to rear no bs it's a pita but worth it trust me.if you're not keeping the 95 harness cut it out and toss it. In my 94 I kept the sunroof wiring as per my 96 didn't have one...and it worked. But it's pretty easy. Pm me if you want me number I'm in mi as well.
    94 PGT
    [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Will the motor from the 95 drop into the 96 and plug and play?

I would consider pulling the harness and ecu if needed to remain to be able to use megasqurt. On the flip side if the motor will just simply install with a swap of a couple sensors for this year I would prefer to go that route so I can go through the car thoroughly next winter.

Will keep that in mind too that you are in MI as well. I'll shoot you a pm if I end up picking this car up. Have a few options I'm still exploring. Decisions decisions, just these things are getting harder to come across now.
      1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
      2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
      99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

The motors themselves are the same, the engine harness is a bit different.

Just change the engine harness during the swap.
        1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Isn't it just more O2 sensors on the 96? Otherwise should be the same? Where's that thread with the year - year differences?
          Probe out for Harambe
          94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

No and it's not that simple ever with any dash harness unless it's year for year as far as I've seen.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

All the wiring needs to be changed trust me. I went 94 to 96. Motor wise it'll be easy but I'd swap all the wiring for the simple fact of its for a mtx car and eff all the atx bs.
            94 PGT
            [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

just use everthing from the 96 and swap everything to the other engine that you need like exhaust manifolds and what not. If the coolant sensors are different just wap it all over to what the 96 needs and keep it simple.
              Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

Removing a pos obd1 system and re wiring the csr to obd2 which is set up for mtx is the best option. There will be a birds nest in the bay above the trans and many stupid issues otherwise I'm sure. Again if you want any pointers pm me for my number.
                94 PGT

Comment

I would hardly say obd 2 is good.
                  1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

I've had not one issue with my 96 loom and maf swap. It's not the system that sucks it's lack of knowledge on how to back probe and troubleshoot electrical. The obd2 system on the 96 up probes is not any bit less or more fussy then anything made now. I've successfully wired up 2 obd1 cars to run maf swap piggy back style as well on the same ecu I run that supposedly has no speedo function yet both worked no issues. So I have no idea what you're even remotely talking about.
                    94 PGT

Comment

Has anyone ever posted dynos sheets of a before and after MAF conversion to show solid proof that there are gains and a reason for doing it?

If there is nothing in writing or shown in solid evidence -I can't see the point of going to the trouble. OBDI is good because you can program a chip for it -where as -you can't for OBDII.

So my vote will always be for OBDI -unless someone can show me something that will outweigh being able to tune my computer for best performance without having to go to MS.
                      Success is a measure of determination!
                      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

It's in the thread for it sir
                        94 PGT

Comment

If I had to do an ATX>MTX conversion again...I would skip everything and just install an MS unit. We did one a few years ago and you have to pull 3 harnesses to do it with the ECU from the donor car. Also, since you are using an OBDI car as a donor....and an OBDII car as recipient....you'll run into problems if you have any kind of inspection where they require OBDII on a 96 model year car.
                          '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                          '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                          '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Reasons to use the whole obd2 car wiring harness...also here in mi we have no inspections.
                            94 PGT

Comment

You can always use newer stuff from the same model, legally. Newer engine, controls, etc., as long as it's all installed properly and working. Upgrading to an engine that wasn't an option is where things get gray. Can't get better than "no inspections" though.
                              Probe out for Harambe
                              94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Working...
                              X