Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil additives for valve stem seal problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil additives for valve stem seal problem?

My car was overfilled with oil (very slightly) and now is burning oil. The problem seems to almost definately be the valve stem seals. I've heard that there are certain oil additives that won't solve the problem, but may prevent it from getting much worse and possibly make it appear better. (right now its tollerable since it only lets out one big puff of smoke after I start it and nothing after that... but I don't want it getting any worse.) Do you have any recomendations for something that may help the problem, and would you trust additives in your car? My car has 200k miles, but ran flawlessly before this... it probably is due for a rebuild, but I don't want to do this now and don't know if it will be worth it on my 4 cylinder.

Is it THAT difficult to replace the seals since my car is only a 4 cylinder? I know the 6 almost has to have the heads taken off, but with the 4 it seems like it might be easy to do it from the top using compressed air in the cylinders. (Hoping it won't be much since I'm already having an engine swap done by OhioProbes on my other car... if OP takes on this job I will have to become their lifetime bitch b/c I can't afford it!)

Thanks
    Joe

Valve Seals

Well Joe to completely solve the problem there is quite a bit you have to do to install valve seals. Timing belt removal and cam- shaft removal. Then removal of lifters to access valve springs and a overhead valve spring compressor since the valve springs are well tucked into the head. Air compressor able to maintain 90PSI at all times to hold valves up and an extractor to remove the seal. List goes on and on. Or you can go to the store and buy Engine Restore. In your case get the 6 cylinder can. It is very good and doesn't bond to engine parts. It will coat the seals but will not elliminate oil cunsumption. 210,000 miles on my Probe with the product. No oil usage. Sometimes even with new valve seals installed valve guides can also be worn and eventually wear out the new seals in about 30k miles. I have used Engine Restore ever since 70k miles just to prolong engine life and it has worked wonders, but in your case, parts are already worn. Hope this helps.

Sorry so long guys.......
    1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
    1996 PSE 330K Miles
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
    Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

Working...
    X