Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reusing the underhood "audio" fuse for the lighter socket? (Factory amp pulled out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing the underhood "audio" fuse for the lighter socket? (Factory amp pulled out)

Hi guys, so I was workin on the car today and my cell phone battery was dying. OK no big deal, plug in the car charger- but I have to put the key in and turn it to ACC. I know that's the norm for new cars today- but I like the older models where the cigar lighter (and whatever was plugged in) always had +12v, whether or not the key was in or not. (I'd rather drain my battery then lock my keys in my car! plus I *hate* leaving the keys in the ignition when I'm working on the engine...)

So I started thinking... then went inside and got my Ford EVTM manual- and it looks like the Audio fuse, for the factory amp, isn't doing anything in my car right now. I removed & bypassed my factory amp when I got the car; my speakers run off my budget aftermarket radio. And my car didn't come with a factory subwoofer amp. From what I see- that underhood Audio fuse was only supposed to run the underhood light (no bulb in mine) and the factory amps. So I think it's a "free fuse"! And it's not controlled by the ignition switch either!

My plan is to re-route my lighter socket so it connects to that audio fuse under the hood... the EVTM shows C217 by the kick panel should have the gn/w wire- OR I can go digging under the center console to find the wires to C310 (which plugs into the amp).

Sound good to re-use that fuse for the lighter socket? Am I right that it's not being used right now (with my old factory amp taken out)?

Thanks!

yes your right, I just used this circuit for my anittheft device which is well hidden. That circuit is always HOT even with the key out. You can find the wire in the harness being led on the drivers side along the seat back to the rear speaker area. Put a test light on the wire and install/remove the fuse to verify that's the wire.
    Last edited by mac1; April 23, 2010, 12:10 AM.
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Maybe you have something else going on because the outlet should be powered up whether or not the key in on.

Instead of stressing the stock electrical system for high current drawing accessories, I have an axillary motorcycle fusebox which is powered off of my main amp wire. Using this aux fuse box, I have three outlets in the cubby, a 120V inverter hidden under the passenger seat, and a few other doodads all with their own separate fuse. The way the fuse box is set up, I can very easily add a relay and set up some circuits to operate with the key, and there is still plenty of room for expandability if needed, all without being limited by the limits of the stock wiring.

Just something to think about if many extras are going to be installed.
      Jim K.
      :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by mac1 View Post
        yes your right, I just used this circuit for my anittheft device which is well hidden. That circuit is always HOT even with the key out. You can find the wire in the harness being led on the drivers side along the seat back to the rear speaker area. Put a test light on the wire and install/remove the fuse to verify that's the wire.
        Great, thanks for the confirmation (and cool use of it in your car too)!

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
        Maybe you have something else going on because the outlet should be powered up whether or not the key in on.
        Actually I'm OK, I forgot to mention the car's an '89 LX (and yes, according to the Elec/Vac Troubleshooting Manual, the key definitely controls the lighter socket in '89). Good idea about adding a second fuse panel too- but hopefully I don't need that many cell phone chargers

Comment

Working...
        X