Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Probe intermittently stuttering/shuttering at all speeds

Hello,

I have a 96 SE (my 2nd 2.0) and I'm having an issue that just started a few weeks ago where the car will stutter hard as if the key were momentarily shut off and this happens at random at any speed. Sometimes it happens once, sometimes it happens 2,3,4 times in sequence. I can't really find any consistent patterns or triggers. Any suggestions?

My thoughts were to look at the MAF and TPS but I would think those would be a more consistent rough running issue, when the car doesn't stutter it's fine. It just feels like it shuts down then comes back to life. Battery connections appear to be solid, my old one used to stall momentarily because the negative terminal was loose but don't think that is the case here and this has more of a bucking/jerking feeling. My mechanic said he couldn't reproduce it but don't think he really tried. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

First things first I'd check all your grounds. Not just where the terminal connects to the battery. Get some sand paper and make sure everything has good contact. Wouldn't hurt to even add an extra ground. I've always had luck getting a short ground cable from AutoZone and attaching it under a fender bolt and to the negative terminal.

Comment

Clean the MAF out as well. That's something I recall from doing maintenance on the old probe

2016 Subaru WRX Premium

04 Subaru Impreza WRX WRB sold to smurphsprobe

97 Probe 2.0L GONE

Comment

Excuse my old guy memory, but did the 2.0 suffer from igniter failures like the 2.5? If so, this sounds a lot like it.
        Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
        PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
        1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
        1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Fuel filter needs changed?

Comment

Would also check to see if there are any stored codes. Just because the CEL isn't on doesn't mean there's no codes
            93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Comment

Is the sputter just on takeoff?

If so my issue albeit on the 2.5 was the distributor. On takeoff when you have it gas it fell flat on its face like a drunk on new years but if you eased into it no problem after you got going.
              #1- 96 PGT MTX- Demoted to Parts car
              #2- 96 PGT ATX -New Daily

Comment

vacuum leaks, cracks in intake hose from MAF to Throttle body maybe?

Comment

Working...
                X