No announcement yet.

1989 Probe GT barn find rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am loving your build. Make me miss my 1g PGT.
    Nice updates. I really like those new Sparco seats you got. What model are they?
    How did the last autocross go?
    06 Evo IX, SSL - 417 HP / 418 TQ Stock Turbo
    92 Galant VR-4 -#802/1000 GT3076, Robispec KW V3 / 94 Miata M-Edition - Stock
    89 MX6 GT 4WS SOLD 89 PGT R.I.P
    93 PGT /93 PGT-SOLD/89 PGT-R.I.P. /96 PGT R.I.P.

Comment

• Originally posted by KINGMARTY03 View Post
      I am loving your build. Make me miss my 1g PGT.
      Nice updates. I really like those new Sparco seats you got. What model are they?
      How did the last autocross go?
      Thanks, The sparco's are the r100 black vinyl model, I really like them, comfortable and supportive.

The first autocross went pretty well, car performed well, it was an open venue with a close to 2 mile course. I placed 2/18 in the class that I was running in, a few tenth's behind the guy in 1st.

The second autocross the week following, was a lot smaller, and I did really poorly, The car struggled to turn with the lower speed tighter corners (lots of understeer) and that was perpetuated by continuous tire roll over in the front, even with higher pressures.

Currently running -1.5 degrees of camber front/rear but I think I will try to dial in another degree or so of static camber in the front to combat the rolling. The resulting additional toe out may also help the car rotate a hair better. (currently running 1/8" toe out)

It was a bit frustrating to say the least.

The diff seems to be helping, however I was getting some noise when aggressively leaving the start a few times, could have been the clutch slipping (I've been trying to be nice to it) but no other issues.

Brake pedal is still a little soft as well, but the car stops well. I'm finding that this just may be the case with 1g ABS cars and I'm exploring other options with another member to solve the pedal feel/response.
      1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
      1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
      2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
      2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
      2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Not all that much to report, been chasing down a pretty bad vacuum leak, think i've narrowed it down to the gasket between the egr valve and lower manifold. Have an new gasket on the way, next autocross is this coming saturday. Hoping I can sort the Probe in time. In the meantime, I'll leave you guys with a shot of the car from a few weeks ago, my gf is less than thrilled the probe has no grab handles lol

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Man... this thread makes me sad about the state of my first gen PGT, I'm jealous.
          Only thing that i would change is that gold foil on the air filter box. Looks fine but it just shouldn't be there. Gold is an excellent thermal conductor but the box is made out of a insulator (plastic) to stop hot engine bay air getting to the intake.
          How are the replacement parts, are they hard to find? Do you fabricate or retrofit many things?

Comment

• Originally posted by KnezicDex View Post
            Man... this thread makes me sad about the state of my first gen PGT, I'm jealous.
            Only thing that i would change is that gold foil on the air filter box. Looks fine but it just shouldn't be there. Gold is an excellent thermal conductor but the box is made out of a insulator (plastic) to stop hot engine bay air getting to the intake.
            How are the replacement parts, are they hard to find? Do you fabricate or retrofit many things?
            Reflect-a-gold has been proven to be effective, I went through lengths to fight heat soak. While there isn't much I can do at idle, after driving/ between runs, every time I have checked the lower intercooler pipe (outlet) it has been cold to the touch, so some combination of the foil/airbox duct/new ic/ic ducts seems to be working.

What isn't working is my damn EGR valve (leaking diagram) so since I don't feel like buying another one for tons of dollars. I'll be making a delete plate when I have time. Car has been sitting for a few weeks because of the vacuum leak.

As far as parts availability, I haven't had much issue finding what I need to build the car how I want. But things like the poly suspension bushings from whiteline have been discontinued since the beginning of this thread. So as time goes on what little available parts that we can find will dry up.
            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Still here, photobucket sucks.

Car has been broken for while, dragged it out for the last event of the season. Ran over some cones, found some areas for improvement did okay overall.

Unfortunately it needs to live elsewhere this winter so I won't be doing much for a few months till winter passes. But there will be some changes prior to the beginning of the 2018 season.
              2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
              2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Always loved the champagne color pgt with black roof. Black wheels look good on it too.Off topic, what do you think the BRZ? The fact that Subys were predominantly sedans, before the BRZ, was the only thing stopping me from owning one. Always been a fan of the boxers.

Comment

• The photobucket is SUCK!!! I will be taking all my pictures away from there website.

Comment

• Nice car!

Comment

• still driving this beast?
                      Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

• Originally posted by BoostedMan View Post
                        still driving this beast?
                        Still have it, just put away for the winter months. Once spring hits I'll drag it back out. Needs a rear wheel bearing and I need to finish my abs delete.
                        2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Took it out to play as my dd for a couple weeks. Reminded me that K sports suck ass, and motivated me to begin an experiment.

Still a work in progress, but its a first. I'll do a more in detail review if I am successful lol.

2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• (fails at inserting youtube video)
                            Last edited by plx92; June 17, 2018, 07:54 PM.
                            2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                            2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Working...
                            X