X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATX to MTX Swap

PSE driver--

ATX to MTX parts list for a 2.0L as follows:

-5-speed transmisson from 2.0. (2.5 will not work)
    -Shifter
    -Linkage
    -Shifter boot
    -Pedals, Clutch and Brake
    -Clutch master cylinder
    -Clutch slave cylindder
    -Clutch lines, 2 metal, one rubber
    -Brake fluid resevoir specific to MTX
    -Flywheel
    -Clutch/Pressure Plate
    -Left and Right Half shafts(axles) Specific to MTX
    Joint/jack/middle shaft Specific to MTX
    -ECU, Not always needed but will get rid of CEL and Blinking O/D light after swap. I recommend it.
    -New Pilot and Clutch Bearings
    -All three Tranny mounts and brackets.
    -Lower tranny insulator mount.
    -Clutch pedal harness, If you have cruise you jump this over to your bake pedal harness.

It's been over a year since I did this swap and i think this is everything. LJspeed, Reppin626, Joel94SE, or anyone else who has done this swap, let me know if i missed something.

I put this up because my archived list i had made at the time of doing it is no longer available.
    Eric
    96 Miata M
    We're all still learning...

RJoyce99--

My fifteen year old son and I just finished the ATX to MTX swap in his 93 se 2.0L with 90k. Thanks to previous posters, everything went well and it started right up. I do have one question – After driving it a few times, the transmission seal on the shaft that is used to change gears started leaking. Does anyone know how to change this seal? It looks like it is easy to get to with the transmission in the car. However, does the transmission have to be taken apart to replace this seal?

Here are some of my comments on the swap:

1) We also put in some other new parts such as clutch kit, water pump, oil pump plunger and spring (instead of a new oil pump), valve cover gasket, and timing belt.
    2) Before buying a MTX computer, make sure that they can be switched. The 2.0L ATX computer has three yellow plugs in front; the 2.0L MTX has one white bolt-on plug. The GT’s can be switched but I believe that the 2.0L’s can not. The blue light flashes but the engine light does not come on and it seams to run fine.
    3) It cost about $1100 for everything and took awhile.
    4) Thanks to a previous poster the backup lights were very easy to wire up and work great.
    5) The only other problem I am still having is that the front brakes are dragging. I have bled the brake lines twice but I believe that I will have to bench bleed the brake master cylinder and the lines again. (Instead of just changing the plastic top on the master cylinder we tried to change master cylinders – I know, we messed up.)

If anyone has any questions about the ATX to MTX swap, we will try to help you.
    Eric
    96 Miata M

Comment

RJoyce99--

I do have a suggestion that may help future ATX to MTX swaps. One of the hardest things to do is change the pedals. To make it alot easier and faster, disconnect the steering wheel shaft near the floor where it connects to the rod that goes through the floor. Then, without removing the steering wheel from the steering column, remove the covers from below the steering wheel. Then remove the two brass bolts (one on each side of the steering column). The steering column will then hang and you will be able to move it around enough to slide the pedals in behind the steering column connection near the floor.

One other thing - Do not remove the brake master cylinder, just switch the plastic tops from a mtx master cylinder. I thought that the whole master cylinders were interchangeable but they are not.
      Eric
      96 Miata M

Comment

RJoyce99--

Also, make sure that you mark the spindle at the floor and at the steering wheel column where they meet before you remove the column. You do not want to try to figure it out later because the steering wheel will move while it is hanging
        Eric
        96 Miata M

Comment

Pics and description:

ddrop--

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701102434
          Last edited by DeathKnight; June 1, 2004, 04:58 AM.
          Eric
          96 Miata M

Comment

Working...
          X