Custom automatic shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom automatic shifter

My shifter is in the way of my mods to the dash im trying to do and its generic looking. (plus most the leather and rubber on the car has seen better days.20 years ago.)

Is there anything i can replace it with?
    I suppose worst comes to worst i can shorten it with a cut off tool and create the proper threading/screw slot but i think once i wanted to replace it with a cooler looking one I found it doesnt seem to be so easy.

Anyone got any ideas about my a best or only options here? Man those skull shifters and crap are so cool. I used to have a light up one on my old toyota. Would really love to shorten it and get something better, but i didnt see any with buttons last time i looked. Is my only option if i replace the stock when i shorten it would be to remain stock or create custom buttons?
    Last edited by Horror Angel; November 18, 2017, 03:40 PM.
    Automatic 97 Ford Probe GT 54,000 miles original engine n stuff.

Originally posted by Horror Angel View Post
    ...Man those skull shifters and crap are so cool. I used to have a light up one on my old toyota...
    Are you a 420 connoisseur?
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Replace it , and the trans , with the one labeled 1-5 + R
      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

I agree. Once I hit about 80k on my atx I owned years ago it was nothing but problems. After literally 4 trips to the trans shop I sold that car. Seems a lot have experienced the same thing.

Agree with the above to swap in the mtx or brace yourself for getting a quality upgraded trans rebuild Vs worrying about the shifter. I'm sure I'll get roasted by some atx owners but it is what it is.
        Last edited by Level 9; November 18, 2017, 08:05 PM.
        1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
        2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
        99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

The mtx swap really isn't that bad. I actually thought the dash board swap was more difficult. Anyways , just make sure you have a donor car to get all the pieces and get it done. Cutting down the atx shifter is difficult and pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by PGT1993 View Post
            The mtx swap really isn't that bad. I actually thought the dash board swap was more difficult. Anyways , just make sure you have a donor car to get all the pieces and get it done. Cutting down the atx shifter is difficult and pointless.
            Not pointless at all. I have taken out my alpine DVD touch unit and am replacing it with a moveable android/smart device holster so i can position it anywhere i want in that area. Comfortably my hand extends to right above my shifter area so that is where i would want my touch pad.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
            I agree. Once I hit about 80k on my atx I owned years ago it was nothing but problems. After literally 4 trips to the trans shop I sold that car. Seems a lot have experienced the same thing.

Agree with the above to swap in the mtx or brace yourself for getting a quality upgraded trans rebuild Vs worrying about the shifter. I'm sure I'll get roasted by some atx owners but it is what it is.
            At this rate ive got about 10 years before my car hits 80k i should be good. By then ill be dead or ill have a lambo or i wont have to worry about a car in my life again hopefully since this one has been such a pain.
            Its pretty hard for me to stick shift while i do 10 other things, like use the android holster im custom making for the car.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
            Are you a 420 connoisseur?

thats an understatement One of the reasons i need hands free and dont want a stick again, though tbh i try to avoid anything that attracts more cops attention in public these days considering my car isnt exactly legal to begin with
            Last edited by Horror Angel; November 19, 2017, 12:09 PM.
            Automatic 97 Ford Probe GT 54,000 miles original engine n stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X