Aftermarket gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket gauges

I am thinking about doing a digital gauge setup, replacing the oem cluster with new electrical digital gauges plus some in triple pod pillar.

Now the question i got is about the sensors.
    There are of course adaptors for the sensors, but are there oem locations where maby the oem sensors are in? Like for water temp, oil temp and pressure?

And what is the best place to put the wideband sensor in the exhaust?
    And the best place for a egt sensor.

Thanks for the help ppl!
    *97-PGT-2.5-V6*20x9J XXR 526*Custom Kitted*Custom Paint*Custom Quad Angel Eye Lights*Custom Dual Exhaust*Custom Enginebay*Custom Interior*Custom ICE*AccuAir-FBSS AirRide*K-sport Air-Coilovers*K-Sport BBK*Carbon Fiber*Lambo-Doors*

I can answer some of this.

There is no oem oil temp sensor.
    You can attach whatever oil pressure sensor comes with your new gauges at the oem location.
    I wasn't sure if using a different temp sensor would mess with the ecu readings, so I just used one of these spliced into the upper radiator hose ( size may not be right, can't remember the diam. ) -- https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMW...p+sensor&psc=1
    95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
    Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

I would assume whichever gauge you use is doing to be calibrated to its sensor counterpart. I would take it a sensor at a time. Especially if you are still running a stock ecu it will I assume still need to read the oem sensors while the aftermarket sensors installed for the aftermarket gauges. I am not 100% on this for I only have an a/f, fuel press, and nitrous press gauge, but the literature that comes with the gauges will be helpful as well.
      1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
      2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
      99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

I can say that running a different sensor with the oil press gauge doesn't affect the ecu.

Funny unrelated side-effect -- my stock, connected-to-nothing stock oil pressure gauge always rests smack in the middle of normal.
        95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
        Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

95+ sender/gauge was just on or off.
          Probe out for Harambe
          94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Thanks for youre input guys, but i will use new gauges that all come new sensors.
            And where is the stock oil pressure sensor located? And the same question for the stock water temp sensor.
            *97-PGT-2.5-V6*20x9J XXR 526*Custom Kitted*Custom Paint*Custom Quad Angel Eye Lights*Custom Dual Exhaust*Custom Enginebay*Custom Interior*Custom ICE*AccuAir-FBSS AirRide*K-sport Air-Coilovers*K-Sport BBK*Carbon Fiber*Lambo-Doors*

Comment

Right up front on the oil filter cooler thing. Water temp is by the higher fill cap for coolant.
              Probe out for Harambe
              94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Thanks! Can i use a T or Y to mount the oil temp and pressure sensors on to the oem location?

Comment

I'm on my phone and haven't been to sleep in 24hrs so excuse the messiness of my post.

Coolant temp - place aftermarket sensor in factory location (single wire sensor located on the water neck

Oil pressure and temp - the oil pressure sensor is a single wire sensor on the oil filter housing. You can place your after market oil temp or pressure here (or. Oth usint a "t". Be careful using a large "t" as it may break off from the weight of the sensors/ vibrations. Alternately, there is another oil port in the form of an Allen head plug in the slave cyl area.

Speedo - autometer speedos can be calibrated to work with factory sensor

Tach - wire signal wire to green wire with a yellow stripe on the gauge cluster harness. Right side harness, 5th? Wire down.

Fuel - your on your own. Lol.

Place wide band sensor in the y pipe before the cat.

Ecu will not care about any sensors missing as long as you leave the factory o2s alone
                  2001 Grand Prix GT - Top Swap Ported and polished heads, 1.9 rocker arms, ls6 springs and retainers, 180* thermostat, ZZP 1.0 pcm, intake/exhaust, Aeroforce scan gauge
                  1993 Ford Probe GT -Maf Conversion, Nitrous, Pretty much every bolt on other than cams
                  2010 Toyota Corolla S -Slower than Dales car

Where's Cameron? He's in the truck section trying to suck the ball off a trailer hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Ehlert View Post
                    Ecu will not care about any sensors missing as long as you leave the factory o2s alone
                    And how many are there?

And it is safer to plug the stock oil pressure sender and use a oil filter adaptor plate?

Comment

...Ecu will not care about any sensors missing as long as you leave the factory o2s alone
                      ECU needs the OEM coolant sensor to determine air/fuel mix. If you take away the coolant temp input from the ECU -it resorts to the limp home fuel & timing maps.

Stock oil pressure sender is an odd metric tapered thread. However -if you have a spare oil filter boss -you can re-thread it for standard sender threads -which I think are 1/8" NPT if I remember correctly. Although -you will need to double check that -since I am not 100% sure of what that standard pipe fine thread is.
                      Last edited by KLZE Porsche; December 12, 2017, 02:58 PM.
                      Success is a measure of determination!
                      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                        ECU needs the OEM coolant sensor to determine air/fuel mix. If you take away the coolant temp input from the ECU -it resorts to the limp home fuel & timing maps.

Stock oil pressure sender is an odd metric tapered thread. However -if you have a spare oil filter boss -you can re-thread it for standard sender threads -which I think are 1/8" NPT if I remember correctly. Although -you will need to double check that -since I am not 100% sure of what that standard pipe fine thread is.
                        What about the sensor that is just for the gauge? Depending on year (earlier probes?) had three sensors, gauge, ecu, and fan. I know if the sensor used for ecu (I believe it has a green connector) is removed or pad it screws with your idle. I was able to replace my "gauge" sensor with an aftermarket one and had no issues. It has been a very long time though
                        2001 Grand Prix GT - Top Swap Ported and polished heads, 1.9 rocker arms, ls6 springs and retainers, 180* thermostat, ZZP 1.0 pcm, intake/exhaust, Aeroforce scan gauge
                        1993 Ford Probe GT -Maf Conversion, Nitrous, Pretty much every bolt on other than cams

Where's Cameron? He's in the truck section trying to suck the ball off a trailer hitch.

Comment

What about the sensor that is just for the gauge? Depending on year (earlier probes?) had three sensors, gauge, ecu, and fan. I know if the sensor used for ecu (I believe it has a green connector) is removed or pad it screws with your idle. I was able to replace my "gauge" sensor with an aftermarket one and had no issues. It has been a very long time though
                          You are correct on that. I had forgotten that the smaller sensor was for the gauge.
                          Success is a measure of determination!
                          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Thank for all your input guys! So let me get this straigt:
                            I will go with the Prosport evo series / evo premium series.

Speedo gauge: In this case it comes with a gps sensor, so easy install.

Tacho gauge: Signal wire to green wire with a yellow stripe on the gauge cluster harness

Wideband gauge: I have a bung on the downpipe just before the CAT (SS headers+downpipe)
                            But isn't that ment for one of the 4 o2 sensors?
                            I have 4 o2 sensors, one on each manifold and one before the CAT and one after.
                            I take it i can't just unplug all those and remove them..

Boost gauge: Put a T in boost/vac line and connect sensor on that

Fuel level: Should work on the oem sender, 105 ohm empty- 7 ohm full, just need to figure out what wire it is..

Fuel pressure: Sensor connect to the AFPR

Oil temp and pressure: Both to the oil filter adaptor

Exhaust temp: Drill a hole in the front exhaust manifold just under the point where the 3 runners are coming together and tap a 1/8 npt in there to fot the sensor

Water temp: In oem location of the stock sensor

Let me know your thoughts on this
                            Last edited by richard NL; December 13, 2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Your more than likely have to weld in another bung for the wise and. As for egt, I have never seen a probe mounted that far down before, can't imagine it's a huge deal. You'll know what it normal for your car for awhile and be able to identify otherwise after getting use to your "normal" issues. Which is unlikely anyway unless your boosted and tuning it yourself.

I'll try to post a wiring diagram for your fuel level signal wire. I think I have access to one.

Comment

Working...
                              X