Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use Neutral Position wires with Relay to bypass Clutch Position Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Neutral Position wires with Relay to bypass Clutch Position Switch?

95 Probe GT 2.5L MTX

I'm trying to hook up a remote start safely so that it will only work in neutral. I've spent more than four hours searching and reading and there is no definitive answer for my question available, so here goes!

I've run the two green wires from the harness under the TB through the firewall near the clutch pedal. I'm showing +12v across those wires when the car is in gear (key "on"), 0v when in neutral. How would I wire up one of these 5-pin automotive relays...:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-073

...to bypass the clutch position switch (SPST). I was thinking about wiring the CPS to pins 87a (switch open) and 30 to close the CPS when 0v are applied, but 12v (in gear) across pins 85 & 86 (green wires from tranny) should keep the relay energized (and the Clutch Position Switch open) when in gear. Will this work? Can this relay handle being energized most of the time while driving? FYI, I'm not worried about Cruise Control since it isn't working anyway.

Any other ideas? I've tried coming up with a 2-relay circuit, but my feeble little mind can't seem to put it all together. Please help me!
    Last edited by beafraid8; March 14, 2005, 03:55 PM.
    my email address is NOT working!

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1700954793
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701055061
    1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
    Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
    Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

look up Omaha95PGT's (sorry if i got the name wrong) list of ECU pinouts... use that to ground your relay coil
      Example:
      On my 94' ECU the NSS is PIN 22 on the larger connector (light green w/ black stripe), that supplies the ground when the car is in Neutral... otherwise nothing.
      Should be something like this:
      85 - 12v constant
      86 - NSS Pin on ECU (ground)
      30 - One side of the clutch switch
      87 - Other side of clutch switch

Just make sure your switch is still OK... cause it would suck to wire it up then realize nothing happens aside from your car going through a wall
      Correct me if i'm wrong
      Last edited by PGTman94; March 14, 2005, 05:24 PM.

Comment

here is what you would need:

if you dont want to find your cpu pinout for the neutral saftey switch you could always tap the switch at the transmission. Its the bolt connecting to your transmission right below the battery, you'll see 2 green wires (this is your neutral saftey switch) the other one you are talking about below the TB is the backup light switch.....anyways if you use a ohm reader you will find out that when in gear one of these wires will be open, and when out of gear it will be closed (grounded).

Now even though its grounded you still have to use a relay.....seems weird, but for some reason you cant just plug it into your - saftey wire, it just doesnt recognize it.

so with that in mind here is what you would do for the neutral saftey switch:
        85:tap off of the neutral saftey switch, the one that changes from 0 ohms to infinity
        86:+12 v
        87: - trigger neutral saftey switch from remote start
        87a: nothing
        30:Ground

Now for your clutch:Tap into both wires of the clutch that you would normally connect togther to bypass the clutch we'll call it c1,c2

85: + trigger from remote start (should find a wire that produces +12 volts when you remote start your car)
        86: ground
        87: c1
        30: c2

Hope this helps
        my email is NOT working and needs to be fixed ASAP!

Comment

BTW i've done this to many mtx's and mine 96' gt so i know for a fact this works.

Comment

Originally posted by mabella
            BTW i've done this to many mtx's and mine 96' gt so i know for a fact this works.
            Edit is your friend
            Sarcasm is the greatest form of anger

93 gt, bolt ons, few interior mods and a "little" stereo USACI "0-300 stock" 143 DB. Someday ill do a cardomain.

Copoc! Colorado Probe Owners Club

Comment

I already read these. Thoroughly. I now have them memorized along with many others. Clearly something isn't clicking, hence asking for help.

*this part edited* - If you don't want to help, please don't respond.
              Last edited by beafraid8; March 14, 2005, 08:11 PM.

Comment

here is what you would need:

if you dont want to find your cpu pinout for the neutral saftey switch you could always tap the switch at the transmission. Its the bolt connecting to your transmission right below the battery, you'll see 2 green wires (this is your neutral saftey switch) the other one you are talking about below the TB is the backup light switch.....anyways if you use a ohm reader you will find out that when in gear one of these wires will be open, and when out of gear it will be closed (grounded).

Now even though its grounded you still have to use a relay.....seems weird, but for some reason you cant just plug it into your - saftey wire, it just doesnt recognize it.

so with that in mind here is what you would do for the neutral saftey switch:
                85:tap off of the neutral saftey switch, the one that changes from 0 ohms to infinity
                86:+12 v
                87: - trigger neutral saftey switch from remote start
                30:Ground

Now for your clutch:Tap into both wires of the clutch that you would normally connect togther to bypass the clutch we'll call it c1,c2

85: + trigger from remote start (should find a wire that produces +12 volts when you remote start your car)
                86: ground
                87: c1
                30: c2

Hope this helps
                I was using the wrong two green wires!! I'll try this on Saturday and let you know. Thanks!! This is perfect!!

I pieced together the info from my searches but had been using the wrong wires all along. I had a feeling that was the case, but how many harnesses have only two green wires??

The pics in those old threads are no longer available so perhaps I should post some new ones when I'm finished...should make it easier for any other NOOB like me to get it right the first time.

Thanks again!
                Roman

Comment

np, more than likey you picked the backup light switch instead thinking it was the neutral saftey switch cause when you put it in gear you put it in reverse....hence completing the backup circuit creating the 12 volts you were seeing.

There is only 2 sets of green wires coming from the mtx closest one to battery is for the neutral, closest to the shifter is backup.

Comment

Originally posted by PGTman94
                    look up Omaha95PGT's (sorry if i got the name wrong) list of ECU pinouts... use that to ground your relay coil
                    Example:
                    On my 94' ECU the NSS is PIN 22 on the larger connector (light green w/ black stripe), that supplies the ground when the car is in Neutral... otherwise nothing.
                    Should be something like this:
                    85 - 12v constant
                    86 - NSS Pin on ECU (ground)
                    30 - One side of the clutch switch
                    87 - Other side of clutch switch

Just make sure your switch is still OK... cause it would suck to wire it up then realize nothing happens aside from your car going through a wall
                    Correct me if i'm wrong
                    Thanks, that's great info! While I'm under there, I'll check this out as well. I remember someone else mentioning pin 22 in another post, it just seemed a bit difficult to find. But now that I've spent so much time under there it should be a piece of cake!!

This car needed some T.L.C. I've only had it two weeks and I think I'm in love...

Comment

np, more than likey you picked the backup light switch instead thinking it was the neutral saftey switch cause when you put it in gear you put it in reverse....hence completing the backup circuit creating the 12 volts you were seeing.

There is only 2 sets of green wires coming from the mtx closest one to battery is for the neutral, closest to the shifter is backup.
                      Could be, although I SWEAR I was getting +12v to ground on one of those wires in 1st gear (I WAS shifting while upside-down though ). Doesn't matter now though, and I don't want to stare at schematics anymore to find out why!! Those wires were a real pain to splice and solder with the vehicle on the ground, let me tell you!! I need to get my '89 GL ATX off my workbench so I can have my garage back.

Great info, I'll post pics when I'm finished. I'm certain this will come up again for someone. Thanks a TON.

Roman

Comment

Yeah tapping into the neutral switch is real easy, just remove the battery and you can do it from the engine compartment. No need gettin on the ground.

Comment

Did you get this figured out? cause I just finished doing exactly what u were planning and it works great....so i can lend a hand if you want.

Comment

anyone have the pictures? sorry for bringing back a dead post but I am about to do this on sunday and just want all the information I can get!!

Comment

Working...
                            X