More track days upcoming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More track days upcoming!

In case any of you feel the need for speed, just thought I'd let you know about more of the upcoming track weekends next month. All info and sign up stuff can be found on the group's website:

www.team-racing.org

Aug 12-13 Streets of Willow Springs
    This event JUST got added, but it's an inexpensive (relatively speaking), highly technical track that I'm looking forward to driving for the 1st time myself!

Aug 26-27 Reno-Fernley Raceway
    This track is the hidden gem of the western U.S. in my opinion, with over 4 MILES of highly technical turns and my personal favorite turn of any track, "the toilet bowl"!
    Come for the weekend, and live it up in Reno while you're there as well.

September 1 Thunderhill
    Wonderful track just an hour north of Sacramento.
    Maybe Gavin will chip in some more info. on his experience here.

Hope to see some of you guys and these events! I was riding through Napa yesterday when an electric red 96 PGT pulled up. I forget sometimes how pretty these cars are now.
    Sold: 1994 Ford Probe GT-ZE
    Newer Mistresses: 2003 Mazda Miata Shinsen (amazingly still have), 1997 M3 Sedan (sold), 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca (sold), Tesla Model 3 on the way!

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164590

I did indeed give my impressions of the time I had.

These events will be too close to when Ill be gone for my vacation, but maybe someone else will take a stab at it. T.E.A.M was a very nice group to get some quality laps in with.

Gavin

Comment

TEAM sounds like a good way to go, maybe I should try one of the events. I worry a lot about breaking the car, how plausible is it to just drive in, race, and drive out?
      Dark Red 87 Corvette 4-Speed - 13.3 @ 106mph 2.1 60' All fixed!
      Rustoleum Red 95 Probe GT 5-Speed - 15.1 @ 94mph 2.3 60' Sold
      Le Mans Sunset 03 350Z Touring 6-Speed
      98 Yukon 4WD /w 2005 Tony Kart 125cc inside

Comment

how much will these events cost?
        Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
        Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
        Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
        The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

wow, i didnt know a car could have that much body roll!

glad you had fun!

james
          http://thevenom.net
          351 V8, 302 V8, Renesis, whatevers in a murano

Comment

Theres "body roll" and theres "body roll". Although most folks seem to have this unnatural aversion to it, it was probably helpful in this case. In the car, things werent that dramatic. The Audi A80 that was there pulling up its inside tires on a variety of corners...well, thats another story.

Codon...check the link I posted above your post. Driving in and out is perfectly feasable.

proboner....check Jims link.

Gavin

Comment

Well, you even said in your thread that don't bring it if you can't afford to leave it. I will probably be down for this in the probe after I get the ze and all the suspension work done. I know it so well after 30,000 miles of aggressive driving and autocrossing it and crashing it that I would have no worries. Even if it did crash, I could just get another one .

I think I need to learn more before I take the vette out, even though road courses are it's forte.
              Dark Red 87 Corvette 4-Speed - 13.3 @ 106mph 2.1 60' All fixed!
              Rustoleum Red 95 Probe GT 5-Speed - 15.1 @ 94mph 2.3 60' Sold
              Le Mans Sunset 03 350Z Touring 6-Speed
              98 Yukon 4WD /w 2005 Tony Kart 125cc inside

Comment

you are partly right- the body roll itself has a small effect because of the distance the center of gravity must move between right and left turns.

but where it really hurts is by pulling the contact patch of the tire off the road by creating positive camber on the outside wheels. a strut suspension with little camber gain under compression is even worse off.

james
                Last edited by Black94PGT; August 3, 2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Codon...that was said in reference to the fact that many times people get ahead of themselves on a track and they do something beyond their/the cars ability and wind up eating rocks. I took what you said, driving in and out, to mean the cars reliability.

In either case, theres easy fixes. (A) dont drive like a bonehead. Its suposed to be a learning experience/fun, not a race to see who crashes first (B) Fix the car so it doesnt leak all over the place, have one engine mount, 4 mismatched tires and 3 lug studs on 2 corners.

cake.

James...you are right things could be more optimized(hell, I chose to run with that setup), but I wasnt there to set the world alight. Body roll or not, contact patches...or not, it was a lot of fun.

EDIT: oh, you know what...enough of being gracious. 1st gen MX6 with GS autocross setup on 205/60/15 320treadwear KH-11s. 6 sessions 16 pointbys for me alltogether(only on the front and backstraight). Amount of times I pointed someone else by.....0. Yeah, I had a good time

Gavin
                  Last edited by gavin; August 3, 2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

i could tell you were going fast from the pics

gavin, stop listening to reason, give in to the dark side... must fix car to go faster... faster... must change all suspension components... keep the hammer down in T8...

not bad for a $500 car!

james

Comment

NeVAR!!!!111ONEONE!!! Youll never convert me to the dark side. My will is strong. I will resi.....ooo camber plates, shiny.

Gavin

Comment

LOL! -that's why I think a lap timing system was one of the best things I ever got. When you think about it, it saves money when a track day spent working on techniques makes you 2 seconds faster (or more, at least early on) and twice that money in car mods makes you 1 second faster, if that.

C'mon guys, spend a little money on the "more-skilled driver" mod!
                        Sold: 1994 Ford Probe GT-ZE
                        Newer Mistresses: 2003 Mazda Miata Shinsen (amazingly still have), 1997 M3 Sedan (sold), 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca (sold), Tesla Model 3 on the way!

Comment

Gavin, just got around to reading the MX6.com thread - you should be writing for publication, not just forum threads. And great photos!
                          2015 Dodge Charger SXT Rallye, JAZZZND , 40K
                          JAZZZIN 1994 PGT, MTX, Black/Gray leather, 200K, KLZE, Magnaflow catback SOLD to Dan [Sac]
                          JAZZZN8 (2008 Mazda RX-8 GT), JAZZZN6 (2013 and 2010 Mazda 6 s GTs), first BAPOC Prez James Creasy's JAZZZN2 (1994 PGT), the infamous GRPJUCE (1994 PGT) all sold
                          born in MA, grew up in MI, live in CA, just kept moving west

Comment

Damn, still wish I could go. I just may have to go next year. Have to get me a DD first. Someone who has a Probe/MX6 go man!!!
                            Chameleon Blue 95 PGT 5 Speed
                            Primered 89 PGT 5 Speed
                            Black 97 BMW 540i 6 Speed

Comment

Working...
                            X