Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond Piston Buyers... Please read!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josh751
    got mine today and i even got stickers...yayy.... mine seem to be fine but i havent compared yet.. ur wrist pin dia. will probably be different be cause u got 3 pistons that r forward and 3 r away. Just curious but, do u think we can buy 3 of these pistons to match the 3 left over??
    The wristpin diameter for the millenia S rods IS .827 so that is fine.

Uh...different pin diameter for different offset??? Where did you get that idea They should have the same diameter.
    I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
    92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Comment

Originally posted by shaodome
      The wristpin diameter for the millenia S rods IS .827 so that is fine.

Uh...different pin diameter for different offset??? Where did you get that idea They should have the same diameter.

hell i dont know i was out of it last night.... But i did find out this morning what the problem with height is. If u look at the bottom of the skirt u can see where they filed the edge on both side of the new pistons were the old pistons they left the edge.. It shouldnt bother anything but thats why ur piston is a different size in height..
      Last edited by josh751; May 18, 2007, 05:44 AM.

Comment

What the hell is going on here?

You are telling me that there's a difference in the pistons?

Spinkx79, did you have a custom pin size for a different rod or something? Your originals were .927? I'm sending your post to Diamond.

I need to know NOW... this is getting to be a real pain in the ass. They have the damn job numbers, duplicating them should be easy. WTF is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ausloki
        damn where are mine?
        Yours were an entire new set that took three weeks to make in the off season. I submitted your order at the same time I found the issue with the other pistons. I would assume they are trying to correct the issue with the sets already out there and they did say that yours should be done around the same time... I don't even have my 3 replacements yet.
        Last edited by jmmdm2; May 18, 2007, 06:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
        DE/ZE Hybrid 189 WHP 165 WTQ <--- SPUN #6
        Motor #3 184 WHP 159 WTQ pulled from junkyard... DE PISTONS/HEADS 125,000 miles
        BACK TO MOTOR #1 REBUILT, NO NUMBERS YET

Comment

that sucks man. i hope they sort everthing out. I think they should compensate you for all the frustration as well as the new sets for everyone.

hell how many ppl are we talking about here , 10 or more.
          this may have been a small order in the sense of things because we may be a small community but probes aren't the only vehicles we drive or work with. Our voices can still create a negative impact on there business if we are not looked after.

some ppl here have already assembled engines, it means major downtime and in some cases expense to resolve the issue they created. what are diamond going to offer them?

Comment

Originally posted by jmmdm2
            What the hell is going on here?

You are telling me that there's a difference in the pistons?

Spinkx79, did you have a custom pin size for a different rod or something? Your originals were .927? I'm sending your post to Diamond.

I need to know NOW... this is getting to be a real pain in the ass. They have the damn job numbers, duplicating them should be easy. WTF is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            No i didnt get anything custom, i ordered 10.1cr to go with the Millenia H-Beams like everyone else.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...h/diamond1.jpg

Comment

This is what im talking about height difference. The skirt itself is the same size but the lip at the bottom was shaved on the new and not on the old piston.. here is the pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/794483/6
              Last edited by josh751; May 18, 2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

hey man am i glad that i saw this, I have been gone for three weeks on training, mine is the same.
                JOB ORDER: 27522
                I would also like to see if it is possible to verify the compression ratio!! Thanks man.

edit:job #27522
                Last edited by KeithnMikkii; May 18, 2007, 11:00 AM.
                Posed by jicks = I'm either hungry or horny, so If you see me without a boner, make me a sandwhich.

Comment

where they r shaved on the bottom of the skirt is probably why it is a gram less too..

Comment

Originally posted by [IMG
                    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/baconbath/diamond1.jpg[/IMG]

I didnt get a spec sheet like this "i want one"
                    Posed by jicks = I'm either hungry or horny, so If you see me without a boner, make me a sandwhich.

Comment

This is the email I sent this morning... the responses from Diamond are in red if I got them all (that's how the reply came back to me).

Mike,

I see that a few of my customers have received their pistons... Why am I
                      getting messages like this...

"I got a box from Diamond today...

Original job # 26790
                      New job # 29138

A few problems.

From Spec Card:
                      Wrist Pin Diameter....old=.927....new=.827 I take it your customer did not measure his pins and is just going off the sheet, both pistons we're made for a .827 pin.
                      Piston Weight....old=349grams....new=348 grams - 1 gram of difference is not going to hurt, a tsp. of oil is 4-5 grams of oil, the motor will not notice.

Visual:
                      Piston Height...the new ones are not as tall when put side by side with old. The skirt profiles are the same on both jobs, piston height will vary from job to job.
                      The bump in the valve pocket are much smaller on the new set.
                      The valve pockets are a sharper cut (old ones are more beveled).

Anyone else notice any of this?"

That's not a good thing and it's making me look like a fool. Why would his
                      order be any different from the orignal? We are always changing and improving our machining standards, this is why there may be a visual change from job to job.

Another buyer mentioned something on the skirts being filed making the
                      piston height different which I realize wouldn't effect compression but when
                      this guy lined his new pistons up with the old, they appeared to be
                      different in height. The valve pockets and pin diameter are a major concern
                      though.

He gave both job numbers so can you compare the two?
                      Last edited by jmmdm2; May 18, 2007, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmmdm2
                        This is the email I sent this morning... the responses from Diamond are in red if I got them all (that's how the reply came back to me).

Mike,

I see that a few of my customers have received their pistons... Why am I
                        getting messages like this...

"I got a box from Diamond today...

Original job # 26790
                        New job # 29138

A few problems.

From Spec Card:
                        Wrist Pin Diameter....old=.927....new=.827 I take it your customer did not measure his pins and is just going off the sheet, both pistons we're made for a .827 pin.
                        Piston Weight....old=349grams....new=348 grams - 1 gram of difference is not going to hurt, a tsp. of oil is 4-5 grams of oil, the motor will not notice.

Visual:
                        Piston Height...the new ones are not as tall when put side by side with old. The skirt profiles are the same on both jobs, piston height will vary from job to job.
                        The bump in the valve pocket are much smaller on the new set.
                        The valve pockets are a sharper cut (old ones are more beveled).

Anyone else notice any of this?"

That's not a good thing and it's making me look like a fool. Why would his
                        order be any different from the orignal? We are always changing and improving our machining standards, this is why there may be a visual change from job to job.

Another buyer mentioned something on the skirts being filed making the
                        piston height different which I realize wouldn't effect compression but when
                        this guy lined his new pistons up with the old, they appeared to be
                        different in height. The valve pockets and pin diameter are a major concern
                        though.

He gave both job numbers so can you compare the two?
                        Man you have done us so right with all the work that you have put in to this, stay on them to make them right, I for one say that if i am paying near 900 for custom pistons, then i want them axaCTly to weigh the same and all around perfect, the best product that i can get.

Comment

hmmmmmm.... hopefully i get my pistons in today. Yea, I'm most def. going to check the compression ratio when my motor is done. My shortblock builder had a bad exp. with diamond about the CR. So, imma keep a sharp eye out on this.

thanks for all your help Justin!
                          Last edited by 97BlkGTS; May 18, 2007, 09:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
                          New Ride - '03 Berlina Black S2K - A Few Mods........... Sold
                          1994 RioRed PGT, 1997 Black GTS - Gettin' Some Rest.......
                          1999 Black SHO - Intake, 3rd Cat. Delete, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Cams Welded, Tranny Cooler, FPS Tuned........ Sold

Comment

Originally posted by KeithnMikkii
                            I didnt get a spec sheet like this "i want one"
                            Each order should have a spec sheet, I don't know why yours would not... I was told that both high compression sets (yours and Mudflights) were made with the correct offset and will not need to be remade.

Spinkx, check your pistons with the pins and get back to me. Mike says they were made for the .827 pin the first time and the sheet has a typo. If the pins fit perfect in both, you're good. Place the pistons top down on a flat surface and slide the pins from one of the old pistons to one of the new... if they transfer without issue the height is the same as well.

Please check everything thoroughly before telling me it's wrong.

Originally posted by 97BlkGTS
                            hmmmmmm.... hopefully i get my pistons in today. Yea, I'm most def. going to check the compression ratio when my motor is done. My shortblock builder had a bad exp. with diamond about the CR. So, imma keep a sharp eye out on this.

thanks for all your help Justin!
                            Who the hell is Justin? This is scary... the Priest called me Justin when I got married too. Maybe I'll just change it.

I'm not too concerned about the experience your builder has had with Diamond. He couldn't even figure out that there was a problem with the pistons... not too smart in my book. I'm a noob with internal engine parts but even I figured it out.

one other thing concerning the spec sheets... looking at mine and then the ones that Spinkx posted, everyone post the INSTALL CLEARANCE spec they gave you... mine says 0.004

I couldn't make it out on the card but it looks like 0.045 or is it .0045 I couldn't see the decimal point.
                            Last edited by jmmdm2; May 18, 2007, 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Comment

Jason/Justin...

Pins do slide from old to new without a problem and both spec sheets say .0045.

So now i have 10 KL pistons and only 6 cylinders
                              Last edited by Spinkx79; May 18, 2007, 12:19 PM.

Comment

ok, so you're good then?????

you must live pretty damn close to Diamond because I still don't have mine yet! I was last when we first ordered them and I'm last again...

I can't see why they wouldn't sell us three more to complete a second set... and then if you guys decided to sell them, well... that would make for a really really cheap set of of forged pistons.
                                Last edited by jmmdm2; May 18, 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X