No announcement yet.

1994 Ford probe gt build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had thought about turbo, but then again I am happy with nitrous as well. If I go turbo it won't be anything crazy and would stay I would assume closer to 3. On the other hand I may just stay with all bolt on with n2o with a set of cams because I am pretty content with that setup a well. My personal goals myself is just for fun, I've had my PGT for 17 years and already have all the bolt on stuff. My kids are getting a little older and I can start looking for a new body to transfer all my stuff to along with the stuff I have sitting on shelves.. It very well might just just be bolt on, cams, n2o, tuned, eventually maybe pistons but I've had no issues thus far so after that whatever it sat at HP wise is where it would stay.

Turbo is nice since the bottle runs out. But with the n2o I can keep my compression as where to turbo I know then I would start getting into a lot more. At that point as well I'm considering the purchase of either a challenger or a mustang, which I have my reasons for both. I build the mustang but really like the challenger too so the probe build will most likely remain relatively simple, yet it's not going anywhere. The reliability part would pertain to this car being able to start and get to point a to point b about 5 times a month during the summer months in Michigan so that's not asking much out of it.

That's just me tho, what stanced here has an idea of is a lot. Any new thoughts or second thoughts on that yet?
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

• Stance I knew sooner or later the flame war was gonna be on the hunt for you lol

that is why I kept telling you to focus in one area and show some progress, I understand you want to gather a lot of parts first then build your car which is not always a bad idea, but when doing a build thread you have to show progress here and there or your build will get stale and tiresome

also the reason why I said focus and not jump around here and there in your build is because the one thing I have seen in the many years I have been on PT is that all it take is one mishap in life (personal or financial) and the build goes down the toilet and become a part out many have done this

even the so called great ones here on PT have fell to the wayside because of financial issues

building a car is like telling a story you have to keep people intrigue cause if you don't people will stop reading after a few pages

your goal for building a 600whp car is not a unrealistic goal, it can be done

the problem is you want 600 right of the bat with no progress to get to 600

and for the record to everyone here 500whp has been made before on a stock tranny now how long the tranny will last is a flip of a coin

also you don't have to be rich to build a fast car you have to make your choices in a smart way to conserve your expenses

Comment

• Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
        This isn't a mustang. Making a big mod list, and buying expensive parts is not going to make 600whp. If you started at 300whp I may have seen it happening, but 600? Ain't going to happen.
        Lol that was never the point. It was to get everything to support the horsepower goals. Me reaching my hp goals all depends on how I build and setup the motor as well as other factors.

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
        As for the final HP output I haven't had any first hand experience on trying to add crazy power to the kl, but I would imagine hitting 600 would maybe possible but not going to say whether or not it can be done without some drastic measures and machining as well. Over boring, decking, forced induction, hell of a tune ect. Before deciding on pistons with a goal like that I would get some thoughts from an engine shop and explain to them what you are trying to accomplish. Be sure to do all your homework before purchasing anything. Speed = money. How fast do you want to go?

When I end up building mine up I'll be happy at around 300-400hp, but then again at that point I start to worry about the trans and I really am not interested in dropping loads of cash on the trans. I just want really more importantly to look good and remain reliable. Not in it to go stomp on it all the time anymore, more for something to take to the car cruises when they take place. Really think it over and talk to anybody and everybody because if it is possible it will not be an easy peasy go buy a list of parts and bolt them up. It will take some attention to detail and cash. The transmission is what scares the shit out of me..

As klze stated as well life goes happen. I started putting my car together when I was younger. I was like I want power, and a body kit, and paint, oh and a suspension. It was a mess then the paint job was wack since I tried to get stuff cheap and got what I paid for since is not focused. Then wife and kids happened and I make good money along with her as well and the car still sat untouched for 10 years. It just can't be stressed enough to get as much info as possible, talk to machinist see where you are going to be at then you can decide if it is feasible for you to do so, but do not order or purchase anything until then or that may very well possibly limit what you are going to make HP wise or without eating mistake money.
        I'm only 26. I still have time before I think about family. I remember everybody telling me to set a goal and I told myself that this was the car. No more failures. I'm going for it.

I do have a girlfriend but she actually supports my habit lol I thank her for that. She is currently in school and we our on the same page so that helps out alot.

I do have my own place so I pay rent, utilities, car payment, student loans etc. Everything I own is in my name. Even with all that I still have been buying parts no problem. I just got a huge raise at work and getting alot of bonuses. My bills are straight so I can go all out on a certain part of the car and with the raise keep going.

I'm actually not doing to bad for being 26. I rather finish it young than wait until I'm old. My girlfriend agrees and the fact she still in school for the next 3-4 years (she is going for her doctorate) we aren't thinking about a family right now. So I have time and I definitely have the money now because of work.

I'll take my time and all your advice so I can actually make this build successful.

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
        3 to 400? What exactly are these goals for ?

A 250whp kl will run 13s and be uber reliable. 3 to 400, not so much. Just saying...
        My goals. I want to track this car and I know 300hp is still fun for the street. So I'll have a tune done and a boost controller installed so I can run 350whp for the street and with a flip of the switch, get 600whp for the track and hopefully some sweet track times.

I do have a goal just have to go about it the right way.

Originally posted by P1P View Post
        Stance I knew sooner or later the flame war was gonna be on the hunt for you lol

that is why I kept telling you to focus in one area and show some progress, I understand you want to gather a lot of parts first then build your car which is not always a bad idea, but when doing a build thread you have to show progress here and there or your build will get stale and tiresome

also the reason why I said focus and not jump around here and there in your build is because the one thing I have seen in the many years I have been on PT is that all it take is one mishap in life (personal or financial) and the build goes down the toilet and become a part out many have done this

even the so called great ones here on PT have fell to the wayside because of financial issues

building a car is like telling a story you have to keep people intrigue cause if you don't people will stop reading after a few pages

your goal for building a 600whp car is not a unrealistic goal, it can be done

the problem is you want 600 right of the bat with no progress to get to 600

and for the record to everyone here 500whp has been made before on a stock tranny now how long the tranny will last is a flip of a coin

also you don't have to be rich to build a fast car you have to make your choices in a smart way to conserve your expenses
        I knew it was coming too. I was ready for it. Like I've said plenty of times I thank everybody on this great forum for your advice and true stories.

It's a cliche saying but you only live once and I told myself that I wanted to do this one day welp I have the job to do so now. We got a new contract at work and let's just say I'm in good standing with all my bills now and still have money left over for the probe and more coming from bonuses, income tax etc.

My story is a wild one. No plans of slowing down. I picked a goal and I'm going for it.

I'm ready to spend for the quality. I'll run 350whp for the street and 600whp for track days. I plan on using a boost controller for this of course and a hell of a tune.

It will be a long process but I'm willing to be patient and get there.

Comment

• Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
          This is where the huge problem is. Your list is so huge and so expensive and you admit that it will take a long time. And then -life happens! You end up married and having kids -or end up having to support your mom, dad or grandparents. Then you need to get a bed for someone -or a dining room table -and your only cash cow is the parts that you have stashed. And then again -you will only get a small percentage of what you invested in time or cash.

Long winded projects have a seriously high risk of being parted out before finished. This is a fact. I have seen it over and over here on PT and especially with the younger guys who have not found life yet. But then it hits you in the face fast and hard.

My first project car was awesome. I was sinking tons of money into it. It was coming around very nicely and was even a possible Hot Rod Magazine front cover. But then I fell head-over-heals in love and got married. So then a couch and simple table were needed. There went my Yamaha 1100 XSGS Midnight Special with Kerker Header and Cams. Then twins came along and the car project came to a very quick halt. And then they both needed beds. Both needed clothes, toys high chairs, strollers, etc, etc, etc... So the project car was sold off 90% complete and for only a fraction of what I had invested in time and money.

I am now 56 years old as of the 23rd -and I am just now getting that same project car back into swing. However -I was smart along the way and anytime I had a bonus, extra non-expected cash, or sold something -I would turn around and purchase a small part and put it on the shelf to wait.

Two years ago I finally found a good replacement Triumph Spitfire to start with -and I am just now getting started. I have made a lot of money during these years between the first and this current. However -my wish list and my actual parts on shelves -do not come close to the value of what your list would if you were honest about it.

I am agreeing with one of the posts above -that it will see a part out before it sees completion. Life happens! So set your goals a little more realistically -and maybe you might be able to finish -even when you do get hit in the face with wife and kids.

Or if you already make 100K per year and you already have a house, furniture and money for future family -then by all means -go for it! But from the looks of things -where you live and the current progress that I am seeing on the car -I don't think the above is accurate.

I currently make around 60K per year -and my kids have grown up and moved out. I have all the furniture I need. I am fairly well set -and I would not make a list like yours -because I could not afford it. Lists like that are for rich people or people that have nobody but themselves and never will. Do you want to live alone for the rest of your life?
          I am 26 with a full time job. I made 57k last year. I work in a union and we just got a new contract. Everybody got a huge raise, bonuses etc. Don't forget income tax and I'll have another paycheck then.

I still have two years of raises as well. I'll be making 75-80k a year. Yes I do have a gf that I'm head over heals in love with. She is still in school for her doctorate. We both agreed on the family situation and she does not mind me spending money on the car. As long as all the bills are paid which they are hence why I can go forth and buy more parts for the car.

I have my own place. The pictures of the car in its current state is at my parents place. Not my actual place. Yes it's not a nice garage but they did let me use there driveway space for the car.

My place has a one car garage specifically for the probe I just haven't moved it over yet and currently have my civic in the garage.

The car with the current motor in it needs a timing belt and new spark plugs and wires to run again. I just never got around to changing it since it turned into a full on project.

Only thing that would change this is if I actually have a baby. That is not happening especially while my girlfriend is still in school. The plan is for her to finish school and have our money right before we start a family but we all know that doesn't always happen so keeping my fingers crossed until I finish the build.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanced4lyfe View Post
            I am 26 with a full time job. I made 57k last year. I work in a union and we just got a new contract. Everybody got a huge raise, bonuses etc. Don't forget income tax and I'll have another paycheck then.

I still have two years of raises as well. I'll be making 75-80k a year. Yes I do have a gf that I'm head over heals in love with. She is still in school for her doctorate. We both agreed on the family situation and she does not mind me spending money on the car. As long as all the bills are paid which they are hence why I can go forth and buy more parts for the car.

I have my own place. The pictures of the car in its current state is at my parents place. Not my actual place. Yes it's not a nice garage but they did let me use there driveway space for the car.

My place has a one car garage specifically for the probe I just haven't moved it over yet and currently have my civic in the garage.

The car with the current motor in it needs a timing belt and new spark plugs and wires to run again. I just never got around to changing it since it turned into a full on project.

Only thing that would change this is if I actually have a baby. That is not happening especially while my girlfriend is still in school. The plan is for her to finish school and have our money right before we start a family but we all know that doesn't always happen so keeping my fingers crossed until I finish the build.

only problem I got with all this that you said is there fact that you don't owe none of these people any explanation you a grown man

Comment

• Idk how this car isn't drivable under its own power yet....wheels and suspension bs is a weekend project. For the love of Pete I built my 94 in a week....full rewire to a full 96 pgt body harness from front to back...that's 2 cars stripped out one assembled in a week. That said Parr it or build it man seriously.
              94 PGT
              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

• For sure brother man. I don't blame you for wanting to achieve your goal and don't think I'm flaming either. Sounds to me you should be alright and I will try to help with any questions that may arrive throughout the process.

For the record I think it's a good idea, will be fun, trans scares me lol. Stay focused and get er done! I'm on board to help.
                1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

...My place has a one car garage specifically for the probe I just haven't moved it over yet and currently have my civic in the garage...
                  If this is the case then what are you waiting for? Get it in the garage and then it will be far easier to work on and work will proceed at a much quicker pace. I see you buying parts and not being installed. It seems like so much time is passing that you change your mind about the part and then end up selling it off. And nothing is getting done.

So get that damned Honda out into the drive and that project in the garage where it should be. With it over at your parent's house -that is less incentive to work on it and less chance of it ever getting done. People here recognize that you are collecting some nice parts -but they want to see them installed. So get busy!

The longer you put off a project -the greater the risk of a part out. And you are already parting out in a manner to speak of -since you buy a part and so much time passes that you change your mind on it and then sell it off. If you keep this up -you will end up doing the same with the entire project!

Not trying to knock you down -but trying to give you the push that gets you rolling. There is nothing better than the feeling of seeing a project through. And there is nothing worse than the feeling of wanting to have seen a project through and only seeing it through 90% before selling it off. You will carry that one with you for the rest of your life until you set it right as I am attempting to do now with my Spitfire. But now that I have waited so long -the risk of dying before I ever see it to completion is great!

Do you want to live with these same regrets?
                  Success is a measure of determination!
                  Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                  $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                  Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                  Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Originally posted by P1P View Post
                    only problem I got with all this that you said is there fact that you don't owe none of these people any explanation you a grown man
                    I know. I was getting flamed and had to defend myself. I just didn't want anybody to think I wasn't capable of this build.

Originally posted by xrp861 View Post
                    Idk how this car isn't drivable under its own power yet....wheels and suspension bs is a weekend project. For the love of Pete I built my 94 in a week....full rewire to a full 96 pgt body harness from front to back...that's 2 cars stripped out one assembled in a week. That said Parr it or build it man seriously.
                    Because when the timing belt blew I never replaced it or the wires and spark plugs. Then I bought the focus then after the focus the civic and it turned into a full project by then.

Suspension is not cheap as I'm going air ride $2600, king6 suspension kit $1057, wheels with the full rebuild and paint $2041 plus tires $865. I've decided to run nitto nt555 for street duties.

Then I still have to get the forged rods and pistons so I can do the motor build get it running n/a learn how to tune it then throw on my Turbo kit which I already have.

But I have a set goal now. Get it running n/a, get the suspension/wheels done and her moving.

Originally posted by Level 9 View Post
                    For sure brother man. I don't blame you for wanting to achieve your goal and don't think I'm flaming either. Sounds to me you should be alright and I will try to help with any questions that may arrive throughout the process.

For the record I think it's a good idea, will be fun, trans scares me lol. Stay focused and get er done! I'm on board to help.
                    I thank you kindly sir. Much appreciated. I have a whole lot of questions as Google didn't answer alot of them. Y'all should see my search history it's ridiculous.

I've always wanted this and it's my time to go for it while I'm making good money young.

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                    If this is the case then what are you waiting for? Get it in the garage and then it will be far easier to work on and work will proceed at a much quicker pace. I see you buying parts and not being installed. It seems like so much time is passing that you change your mind about the part and then end up selling it off. And nothing is getting done.

So get that damned Honda out into the drive and that project in the garage where it should be. With it over at your parent's house -that is less incentive to work on it and less chance of it ever getting done. People here recognize that you are collecting some nice parts -but they want to see them installed. So get busy!

The longer you put off a project -the greater the risk of a part out. And you are already parting out in a manner to speak of -since you buy a part and so much time passes that you change your mind on it and then sell it off. If you keep this up -you will end up doing the same with the entire project!

Not trying to knock you down -but trying to give you the push that gets you rolling. There is nothing better than the feeling of seeing a project through. And there is nothing worse than the feeling of wanting to have seen a project through and only seeing it through 90% before selling it off. You will carry that one with you for the rest of your life until you set it right as I am attempting to do now with my Spitfire. But now that I have waited so long -the risk of dying before I ever see it to completion is great!

Do you want to live with these same regrets?
                    Lol you sound just like my girlfriend! She said basically the same thing. When I still lived with my parents and finally moved out, she helped me move and was amazed at all the car parts I had in my room for this car.

Civic needs brakes, oil change, and to put the new tires on then I'll make her my DD again put the probe in the garage and cover the focus up until I trade it in.

It's time. The car has been sitting for way too long. I do need to make some progress on it like you have said.

Thank you for the push. I'll get on it. I'm tired of buying parts and never putting them on the car and selling it later.

First things first! Get her on the ground and running. I'll stick to that.

Sorry with all this extra money coming in I'll get it done.

Comment

Lol you sound just like my girlfriend! She said basically the same thing...

...Get her on the ground and running. I'll stick to that.

Sorry with all this extra money coming in I'll get it done...
                      Sounds like you have an amazing GF that gives good advise and sill yet -wants you to have your fun with the car. It is hard to get both. Most would say "It is either the car or me!"

So stick with her -and stick with the project. Sounds like a good combination to me.

So show us how quickly you can get that project into the garage. Then show us how you set it up all very nice like a professional shop -with ample tools and lighting. Then let's get busy.

We are all here to help you out when you have questions. But ask those questions -during the middle of an installation -such as struts or wiring harness etc.
                      Success is a measure of determination!
                      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

• advice to you and anyone else that decide to do a build thread

1st rule have a set plan/goal and stick with it.

2nd rule never post your entire plan on the forum until you know its etched in stone (cause things are gonna change)

3rd always keep your build thread weeks behind what you are doing actually doing. It keeps you from having drought periods in your thread and keeps your thread from getting old and stale.

4th never post what you bout to buy only what you actually have on hand. bout to buy is like post a wish list and it leaves the door open to get flamed

5th keep your thread as active as possible don't let it go weeks without posting new photos

6th if you run out of thing to post go more into detail about certain things you done (example: like today post you took the heads off the engine, then maybe a day or 2 later show how you disassemble the heads then maybe a day after that show how you cleaned the heads up (pressure washed/ hot tank/ degreased) then maybe a day or 2 after that show how you started to port and polished)

You might have done all this above in one 1 day no one knows that but you but I just showed you how to stretch all that out to a few week worth of photos. forums builds are about what you can see not about what you actually done in one day

7th always remember everyone is not gonna like something about your build some will be haters and some will be people just offering advice to help you out

but keep in mind that it is your car and your money and if what you doing makes you happy then the goal was accomplish. Never explain your personal business to anyone whether you have a job or not or how much money you have or don't have it's not their business

Comment

Working...
                        X