Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old January 28th, 2018, 08:22 PM   #26
Level 9

Looks like something is definitely going on with the ect sensor is wiring somewhere. I believe the 93 had two sensors, maybe the 94 did as well? This has to be verified for I own a 95 and cannot say for sure. Think you are close to the problem. I would correct that o2 sensor as well. I recently worked on a focus that ran like complete butt because of a faulty o2 sensor.

The ect sensor you may have to get a hold of another coupler with a new lead if it's messed up at the connector. It's hard to say for sure without the car in front of me but I would correct those two problems then nice forward from there.
Level 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #27
BLUEnoEQ

I think the 2 ECTs was 93 only (not including the temp sender for the dash.) Been awhile since I looked at the year - year differences. So far as wire repair goes a gas soldering iron is great to have around. Homeless Despot has a butane combination torch/soldering iron for $20-30. That, solder, a can of butane, heat shrink, wire, and electrical tape are good to have around, then you can fix things like this in a few minutes and resume testing. I hate extension cords and the wire hanging off the end soldering. Youtube a how to or 2 for soldering make a shopping list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #28
illcool
Donating Member

I had a an intermittent start/run problem with my 1993 PGT. Sometimes it would start and run fine and others it would cut off while driving or struggle and sputter. I swapped in a lot of parts trying to trouble shoot the issue(fuel rail, injectors, FPR, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, ecu, ECT sensor, distributor, ect...) I didn't believe it was the fuel pump because the fuel pump was a new walbro with only a few thousand miles on it(but the car had been sitting for a few years). Plus i could hear the fuel pump come on when I turned the key. I finally bought a fuel pressure tester kit for 40 on amazon. It was a great investment as it has helped me to fix many cars. It turns out it was a fuel problem. The fuel pressure would go from low to zero intermittently. Why? Well the fuel pump was still good, but the little 2 inch hose on the fuel pump in the gas tank had rotted from sitting and that was casing the fuel pressure to drop. I just went ahead and put a whole new Walbro fuel pump and hoses in the tank because dropping the tank was such a hassle. I just replaced it all to keep from having to do it again in the future. Test your fuel pressure. Trust the Fuel pressure kit is great to have around.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I also had a start/run problem with my 95 pgt and it turned out to be the distributor was failing. Car would cut off when the engine got warm. Replaced it and that fixed the problem.
95 PGT- Daily Driver KLDE, body kit, 18in rims, cai, dual exhaust, plugs and wires.
96 PGT- Turbo Project KLZE, will be both Show AND GO!
1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Street/Strip project. if you wanna know whats under the hood come and find out!
illcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:01 AM   #29
MightyMike
Search Impaired

Update

Few weeks ago I soldered the ECT sensor connections and it was really needed to. The wires in the harnas were disintegrated and probably shorted now and then. After the repair I didn't have any real stalls but there are still some issues.
Fluctuating RPM now and then when driving.
Only this weekend it went a bit more bad. It was cold and icy. I started car with heater on and the car hardly became warm which is new since my probe gets warm in few min. I drove off and 30 sec later rpm's went up and down car was shuttering but I managed to get it under control and engine didn't stall..

I got this idea in my head that the thermostat maybe wasn't good.(didnt test this yet since I dont know how..lol)

Today I checked codes and it shows 02, which suggest Crankshaft Position Sensor #2 (CKP2) (lower one right?) Is a bit odd that this comes back all the time since this sensor is the one I replaced (that's not the one in the distributor )

Hope this information gives anyone some more clues..

ps: I went down my purchase bills of my probe parts..(long list..lol) and I saw I replaced the distributor in 2011 with a new one.

Thanks again
Mike

Ford Probe 1994 2,5L v6 KLZE J-Spec (kl36ecu je50 VAF) Black, Cold air induction kit, Oil catch can protege 5,

Last edited by MightyMike; February 18th, 2018 at 08:14 AM.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote