This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The definitive home depot CAI topic

This is the procedure I have used twice now on my own car and one other Prober's. I did a Neon once too, but that's beside the point.

Tools necessary; Full set of metric sockets, 6 inch socket extension, drill (opt), short screws, needle nose pliars,five feet of either 2.5 or 3 in PVC/ABS pipe, one 45 degree angle bend, one 90 degree angle bend, one male-male connector (opt), high temp paint (opt), flathead screwdriver, one 3 in worm gear clamp, a hacksaw or air cutoff tool, finally, a large size K&N filter. Specific part numbers aren't really important, as long as it will fit over your choice of piping. It does need to be at least small enough to fit in the somewhat limited space however, esp. if you have an atx.
    The first thing you will need to do is remove the stock intake system. Start out by removing the S pipe (for lack of a better term) by unscrewing the 3 bolts near the fron of the engine bay on top of the radiator. Next, unscrew the clamp holding it to the rubber piece coming off the stock airbox. Done? Good. That was the easiest part.
    Next remove the other clamp holding the rubber thing to the airbox and set both aside. We will/will not use this later, depending on yor preference. Now, bust out your socket wrench and extension, and unbolt the two bols on the side of the airbox. After doing this, remove the little plate holding the "Vacuum/boost sensor" from the side of the airbox, it's a little tricky, but you'll get it eventually.
    Now we need to carefully remove the VAF from the airbox. If you've done everything right, it just pulls off. I chose to unclip the sensors from the VAF to make sure I didn't smurf up my IAT splices, among other things.
    Got it? Good. Now the real fun begins. First of all, you need to decide where you want to put your intake at. The way this is set up, the filter will be resting on the lower right floor of the engine compartment. Got your hacksaw? Put the pipe into your engine compartment, and make a mark with your saw where the top of the radiator is. Remove, and cut off. While your'e cutting, cut off another section of pipe about 8 inches long, approxamately.
    Remember that rubber thing we took off earlier? Now it's time to put it back on if you want. Work at it a little, and you'll eventually get it to fit over your VAF. Use a clamp, and bolt it on.
    At this point, I chose to go and paint all the pieces to the intake.
    While you are waiting for them to dry, you can either crawl under the car and remove an access panel, or sip your choice of cold beverage. I did a little bit of both.
    Removing the access panel. Ignore the little tiny bolts that look easy to remove they aren't. Instead look for a lager bolt. Using your 8mm socket remove it, and get your filter up in there. Sip cold beverage. Wait for paint to dry.

Paint's all good and dry? Now take the long section of pipe you cut off earlier. and put the 90 degree angle bend on. Drill holes and bolt/ screw permanately into place. Do the same with the 45 degree one on the other end. CAREFULLY put the intake down around the radiator hoses, be carefull not to pinch these off. That would be a bad bad thing. Now crawl under the car, put your filter over the 90 degree bend. and bolt into place. Reinstall the acess panel.

Now put your litte piece into the other end of the 45 degree pipe. Put one end of the male-male connector over the free end. bolt into place. Place the other end into the rubber thing hagning off the VAF. Using your last clamp, bolt it on. Enjoy your faster car, and real cool intake noise!
    Everything described here can be found at Home Depot, Menards, or any other plumbing/ hardware store. (Except the K&N)

OMG

I think youre the frist person to EVER do that......

MazdaSPEED6

Comment

i made mine for less than $15 bc i didn't use a K&N.
      MODS: fuzzy dice, dual exhausts out the roof, carpeted dash, chain steering wheel, Yosemite Sam mud flaps, nude woman silhouettes

Comment

REAL men use pantyhose

Comment

Re: OMG

Originally posted by pgt95
          I think youre the frist person to EVER do that......

Sorry for trying to be helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the info man, alas I have no space under the hood left for this upgrade.
            200k+ Loaded '93 PGT

Build a man a fire and he will be cold again come nightfall, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by absoletegod
              Thanks for the info man, alas I have no space under the hood left for this upgrade.
              It doesn't take any more space than the stock airbox.

Comment

Hey dont listen to them.

You are trying to help people out. Thats good.

I appreciated your post.....
                ...Matthew Lemens ©..........www.lemens-ts.com................
                1993 Probe GT - 19's/BagStrutted/Kitted/Shaved/Molded

Comment

Good post...I don't think pgt95 is trying to be mean in any way...he was just shocked at the amount of work you up into your CAI.

Thanks for your post...it sounds like you have a very nice setup going. If you have any more information to share with all of us, please share.

Thank You
                  1994GT-MTX...traded in after 12 years of ownership.
                  1995GT-MTX...gone too

2003 Accord V6 MTX...much faster and more reliable!

Comment

I used a 3" rubber coupler to attach mine, 3.95 at home depot Also, you can use epoxy to connect the pipes, or pvc glue or any other equivalent. Theres some pictures of it below... Ran out of paint after the downpipe heh :\ Frankenstein...

http://www.clan519.com/creed/probetalk/cai1.jpg
                    http://www.clan519.com/creed/probetalk/cai2.jpg
                    http://www.clan519.com/creed/probetalk/cai3.jpg
                    Silver 93PGT -- 97PGTS Motor
                    Phenolic IM Spacers, Coned TB, Custom CAI, K&N, Catco Cat & Magnaflow Muffler.
                    For Sale:
                    93 Throttle Position Sensor / 93 Intake Manifold (with VRIS butterflies)
                    PM/Email me for details!

Comment

NOS97PGT

NOS97PGT, do you have any pictures of your intake setup. I would be interested in seeing these.
                      Thanx

Comment

ill post

hey, im doing mine right now, same setup he just described...im using his instructions to do it...so ill show you what it looks like while i have it apart..LOL...later
                        Flowmaster, Sleepy Eye, IAT Mod, Third Brake Light Mod, Painted Calipers, HomeDepot CAI, hyper white turn signals, custom clear corners, custom switch panel, PIAA Fogs

Comment

when I did that setup, I didn't find it necessary to use an aditional 45 degree bend to make it work.
                          02 Dinan Cooper S

Comment

1.Um, I only said to use one 45 deg. angle bend.
                            2.The rubber piece and the male-male connector are NOT necessary if you use 3'' pipe, BTW.

Comment

Please post some pictures
                              93 fresh White PGT

Comment

Working...
                              X