Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Probe Lounge

Probe Lounge Discussion about most everything Non Probe related goes here.

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1
B-Ball
Donating User

New build

Like it says once I get my probe done I have another project lined up. I am building a KL powered 30's ford rat rod. De motor mated (which is going to be hard) to a 4 speed overdrive ford tranny. Goodies will include full interior, ps, small ice system, tractor parts and who else knows what.

In put would be cool, and don't worry I don't mind constructive critism!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2
94mx6lsze
Supercharged Member

Sorry to open up with constructive criticism.

Why not just go with a more powerful V8? I mean, I know KLs are cool and all, and it would be awesome to see a KL in something like that, but don't you think its gonna be hard to make it go fast enough to really be considered a hot rod? It will be pretty heavy, and the DE motor doesn't make power or torque like a V8. I just think your power/weight ratio is gonna be weak.

Now, if you are just trying to be unique, this would be the ultimate KL/car combination, but I just don't see it being very fast.

Unless you build the motor and boost it with a fat supercharger. Have a big-ass blower sticking up out of the hood, then people would see the tiny little V6 underneath it... awesome. And with a different tranny, you wouldn't have to worry about limiting the power to what the stock gears can handle before blowing up.

Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all...

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Last edited by 94mx6lsze; August 19th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
94mx6lsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #3
B-Ball
Donating User

Well it is going to be light! I mean really fricken light. The reason for the KL is because I have one lying around and they are good on gas. It hope to make this my DD instead of my probe. The tranny is orginally from a ford 300 six.

Being a ford guy the KL also fits nicely. I am also using the probe steering, front suspension, seats, engine, ecu harness, ecu, and rear wiper motor, for the front!

Other parts include, a steering wheel and column from a John Deere B, headlights from a Ford 9N, a case raditotor cover, farmall radiator, and much more. Stay tuned, pics and build thread within the year! FYI the probe is coming along well also.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all...[/QUOTE]

My sediments exact!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote