How do I stop my car from rattling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I stop my car from rattling?

There are alot of things that are gonna rattle. I also have noticed that on certain notes, certain things rattle. You may think you got rid of the rattles, but then play another song and different stuff rattles [img]/forums/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

You can get hi-temp mastic (flatter areas) or viseoelastic (more curvy areas) from http://www.mcmaster.com ALOT cheaper than dynamat. Seems like thier stuff is what most people are using these days. I have used it and I think the hi-temp mastic is as good as dynamat ultra. I think that would help you. Mcmaster sells it as a souund deadener for inside large industrial machines and it is alot cheaper.

Comment

I DynoMat'ed the trunk and the doors. The bass is much more powerful because it cant escape out the rear of the car.
      Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 07:54 AM.
      2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT - K&N SRI - AWD & Turbo - new daily driver
      2000 GMC Sierra Ext Cab z71 - 5.3l ... the winter vehicle..
      94 PGT - Lots of Mods .. 171k miles and still running strong. SOLD

Comment

I stuffed they hell out of my taillights with foam pieces, sounds ghetto but it works! :grin:
        Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 07:55 AM.
        RIP 1994 Black Ford Probe GT, manuel transmission

Comment

About the only true way to stop everything from rattling is to dynamat everthing, which is very expensive. Here's some cheapy ways around stuff..
          Go to Meijers and buy a couple rolls of double sided foam pad tape. Out line everything on the back of your car with it. Pad the edges of your plate and lights. DON'T remove both sides of the sticky stuff, or you'll have some serious fun getting your lights off later.
          Go thru your car with a screw driver and tighten down everything possible. Next, crank the bass up, and visit each rattling item one by one and see what you can come up with.
          Good luck!
          Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Put silicon around the back tag etc the rattle goes away.
            Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 07:57 AM.
            -ImPLiCiT CoNcEpTz-
            S14 silvia-Injen short ram intake-18"ADR Fuel -Denso iridium plugs-Injen short ram intake-Injen cold air extension- bump in da trunk-Nismo270R front-fidanza 11 lb flywheel-HKS Hi-Power catback-Tein S Tech springs.
            94 probeGT-204whp and 196 Tq (bottle disconnected before dyno run was over)
            http://members.rankmyride.com/implicits14

Comment

you guys should try using weather stripping tape too. Just put it where ever the rattling is and it will help prevent two parts from rubbing against each other

Comment

dynamat is not to stop rattling, its to stop resonation frequencies that appear in a vehicle. A vehicle will absorb alot of sound, by vibrating, thus causing the transfer of the sound wave into the interior of the car!!!!, what dynamat does in help in stopping that effect, leaving the INSIDE of your vehicle sounding like a professional recording studio (well not that good), but you get the point!!!

dynamat will make your stereo sound alot better, but its effects on reducing trunk/hatch rattling will be very minimal
                Moderator on MX6.com
                KLZE, Hotshot CAI, and erubuni 44 kit!!!
                Stevenbishop79@insightBB.com

Comment

Dynamat Extreme is WAAAAAAY overpriced. There are a number of products out there that stop rattling just as good if not better. One is called Brown Bread or something like that, another is RAAMmat on ebay, and other insulating products from various home improvement stores.
                  Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 08:03 AM.

Comment

A really really really good thing to use is fiberglass house insulation...and just stuff spaces with it, its non flamable and also cancels sound waves giving u the dynomat effect...as for your liscense plate...id recomend putting rubber washers anywhere metal bolts touch the plate and space it out enough where it wont touch the car...this should solve that problem
                    Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 08:04 AM.
                    THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LETTER K

Comment

Solve the plate rattling: Use a snowboard stomp pad...these things work extemely well.
                      Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Take out the rear lights and put dynomat on the back and take them apart and put the dynomat on the back of the inside of the light. then take off the interior side panel that would be taken off to access the latch for repairs. put dynomat there too. this will really help out alot.
                        Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 26, 2002, 08:08 AM.

Comment

My husband and I used 78 square feet of Dynomat, and approximately 5 cans of spray on sound deadner before even begining the system install. The only vibration issue we have is with the locking mechanism on the hatch. (Soon to be fixed!)

Comment

Depends on the rattling. If its two pieces of whatever hitting each other than you have to seperate them with a thin piece of trunkliner ot something. If it the metal panels flexing thats wher dynamat comes in.
                            Front and rear sway bars, Tokico Shocks, Racing beat eghuast, racing beat 17" wheels, Dunlop 9000 tires

-Friends don't let friends buy SONY!
                            -MECP certified Installer
                            BEGI Turbo!

Comment

The cheapest way that helped me was to make trip to the local carpet store. I had a large crap sheet of carpet padding for free. Than I took out the taillights and made a outline around them and from there put as many layers on the back. Untill there is a tight layer of carpet pad filling the hole between the frame and the lights. As I found that a huge noise maker is a spot were the rear clip meets the bottom of the trunck. If you also put a layer in there it should quite down it alittle bite. Also the third bake light, the black plastic cover maybe a trouble spot. But for the money and time the carpet pad is the way that I went.
                              Last edited by SkyCatcher; February 27, 2002, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X