Which coilovers for this setup (autoX)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans[93GT]
    seriously I would get the rest of your suspension done first, before worrying about a swaybar. Putting an Addco on an MX-6 is a pretty severe change, especially for someone who lives in Colorado. I don't know where Monument is, but you got a lot of mountain roads and some wet weather, and I personally wouldn't use an Addco in those conditions.....especially seeing as how the MX6 front bar is smaller than the Probe
    Again, if he's serious about autocross, he's going to increase front stiffness a lot, which means real striff front springs, or a larger front bar.

Alignments can also be played with to keep the back end from going crazy. and lastly, you should never be pushing your car on the street to the point where it's going to break loose.
    -Jesse
    "Racing makes herion addiction look like a vague desire for something salty."
    -93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.

Comment

True, but mountain roads involve blind turns, in which anything can happen. Even if you are only at 50% of your max grip it is still possible you could lose it if you had to react suddenly - especially going downhill.

He will change his springs, but unless he goes with custom rates, he'll be getting the same springs that Probe owners get.....and he'll still be stuck with the same front bar. I don't know one person on this board who swapped their front bar for something else.....it's too labor-intensive. So I kind of doubt he'll want to do it.

Seriously, you don't want a fully prepped Probe/MX-6 as your daily driver. If it's your second car, go for it, but if it's your only car and you drive every day, I'd think twice about making it super stiff.

Comment

First I will tell you where Monument is, just for fun. It is north of CO springs and we live at 7000 ft. Roads are fine, except for the mountain roads, in which I am not going to drive on, since the car is low and my friends have SUV's.

Since I am probably going to get springs, I am going to cut coils off of the stock ones, just to see how that is. I know it is a lot of work just for a very temporary thing, but I might want to feel for myself how stiff an extra 100 rate springs will be (I.e.).

My dad thinks that I should do the sways first, but I think that you guys know what you're talking about. I will have him read this thread to make him change his opinion, since he has a lot more experience with cars than i do. (a little off topic)

Evan
        1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

suspensions work as a system. You have to use all the componets to make it do what you want it to do. I think, at least for sake of this discussion, you have to tell us just how competitive you want to be. Do you care about ride harshness? How many street miles will you be putting on this car a year?

If you're looking for a fun car, you can have a locally competitive DSP car probably for ~2500 bucks. If you want to run Nationally, and have a car that can do well, you're look at upwards of 7000, and that's not to the limit of the rules.
          -Jesse

Comment

I got involved with solo because "It's a cheap form of motorsports". And that is true....any form of motorsports is costly.

From the info I got in your other post here's what I think you should do. Considering your younger, have limited funds, and new to solo. This is totally my own thoughts so no jumping on me.

You should: Buy an addco or PT sway bar and forget anyother parts. I know this would not be perfect but the effect of a larger rear sway bar is going to help you turn. Turning in autocross is good Save your money till something wears out and replace it with a performance up-grade. The second thing I would do is get another set of rims for the street...the RX-7 rims would be great for racing. Put r-compound tires for the RX-7 rims that are 245/45-16". This is something cheap and needed vary badly while autocrossing....4-5 point harness. I never thought I needed one till I drove a car with them. It was amazing you drove the car rather than trying to hang on.

recap
            #1 Addco or PT sway bar
            #2 Harness (I know that's not how I listed it above..it was an after thought)
            #3 Second set of rims...use the rx-7 rims for racing with some r-compound tires

Jake
            Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

Well I'm always biased towards good struts.....I think they do so many positive things for a car.....especially for one whose struts are probably all worn out by now.

Swaybars are fine on smooth dry roads, but any kind of one-wheeled bump or driveway enterance is going to make your head snap sideways if you have a stiff swaybar. I just got sick of it. But if you live in a small town then maybe you're fine.

I'll be looking for an MX-6 pretty soon too......After a year with only a sportbike I want to get back into the game. But I want to keep it in stock class, that way all my money can go for some sweet struts and race tires.

Comment

Get rid of the whole suspension system and weld steel bars to your wheels, wouldn't be too good for daily driving but shit would that be sick for AutoX

Also: I'm betting $20 that this does not stay his daily driver
                Anyone in?

Comment

Well if youre talking about after the steel bars, then yes I would jump in on that bet... but since this is my only car, and I am going to be driving this for college, its my DD for sure.

Lets see. I dont know if this is right or not but maybe about 5000 miles a year, I know that is quite a bit for my DD with a stiff suspension, but I am serious enough to be competitive in local/regional stuff. And no I dont care about ride harshness, as in if you could feel rocks that are the size of a marble? that would be fine? That just seems to be right.

Evan
                  1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

Nathan Whipple daily drives his civic. 500# wheel rates... 700/600# spring rates.

Anyone know the motion ratios on a PGT? I'd suggest something like 400 front, 300 rear, and ditch the swaybars, other than maybe than oems.

Couple that with Koni inserts and a set of Camber plates.
                    -Jesse

Comment

I looked at Konis website, and I couldn't find any application for our cars. Where is a good site that you know of that seels these brand struts?

Evan
                      1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
                        Anyone know the motion ratios on a PGT? I'd suggest something like 400 front, 300 rear, and ditch the swaybars, other than maybe than oems.

Couple that with Koni inserts and a set of Camber plates.
                        I would agree with you if he had 1500-1800 to spend on that kind of set-up. He stated before that he only had 500 to spend. The sad part is that if he borrows the extra money from his Dad to complete a set-up like this then he's down the road of spending money he don't have and I would hate to see a HS (going to college) student go in debt for something like autocrossing. Don't spend the money if you can't afford it! It's not worth that much for a closet full of little trophies. Go out have fun with your car..complete college get a good job(if there is such a thing), buy a new car to play with or turn the MX-6 into a play toy. You can wait 4 years to have a kick ass autocross toy. The SCCA is not going anywhere.

I emailed Proparts. com about some koni inserts last week and haven't got a reply by yet. I need to replace a blown tokico...so way not up-grade.

Jake
                        Old Prober!!! Woot

Comment

Originally posted by Jake_94PGT
                          I would agree with you if he had 1500-1800 to spend on that kind of set-up. He stated before that he only had 500 to spend. The sad part is that if he borrows the extra money from his Dad to complete a set-up like this then he's down the road of spending money he don't have and I would hate to see a HS (going to college) student go in debt for something like autocrossing. Don't spend the money if you can't afford it! It's not worth that much for a closet full of little trophies. Go out have fun with your car..complete college get a good job(if there is such a thing), buy a new car to play with or turn the MX-6 into a play toy. You can wait 4 years to have a kick ass autocross toy. The SCCA is not going anywhere.

I emailed Proparts. com about some koni inserts last week and haven't got a reply by yet. I need to replace a blown tokico...so way not up-grade.

Jake
                          I didn't say he had to do it all at once. I'm a poor college student too. The Protege was NEVER setup anywhere near how I wanted it to be, and the first thing I can tell you is that skimping on parts will just result in more money down the line. If you can't afford the parts, don't buy them.

In fact, since youre on a small budget, use the FD wheels as street wheels, buy a set of Illuminas, and put a set of Victoracers on the stock wheels, and practice driving.
                          -Jesse

Comment

I will let this thread hibernate (no idea how to spell that!!).
                            I am going to be doin a lot of thinking; jobs, money, cars, girls, school, and etc.
                            Will get back to this thread when I have finally updated my car!
                            Later
                            Evan
                            1995 Mx6 LS

Comment

So much good info, so little time. Off to the archives!
                              90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                              93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                              97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                              90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X