5 Speed Transmission Disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Speed Transmission Disassembly

I had the joy of taking my transmission out today to change the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and rear main seal today. I used Travis' guide to do it. Everything is going smoothly so far, but...
    When I pulled the drain plug out of the transmission no fluid came out , I knew that it had fluid in it because I had just checked it last week. So I looked into the hole where the plug came out of and there is piece of metal sitting there, I pushed it over with my finger and the oil drained out just fine, no metal shavings or anything in it. But the piece of metal is large enough that it won't come out the drain hole. I don't want to reassemble the engine/tranny without removing it. Before my clutch went out it never grinded when shifting into any of the gears. And when the clutch went out the other day, the pedal stuck to the floor... no breaking noises or anything, it was just the throwout bearing.
    So, if anyone has any advice on dissassembling the transmission so I can get access to right above the drain plug, please let me know...

Oh and btw i'm replacing the stock parts with a Stage 1 Exedy clutch and pressure plate, and a flywheel out of the 1.8L v6 MX-3. vroom vroom

*Edit* Sorry forgot to mention 1994 V6 LX model... I usually am on mazda626.net and i have that in my sig over there

Come on, I know someone out there has taken there transmission apart before... There is a whole thread in the performance section about changing out the gears in th tranny for one from the 323GTX or using performance kits to improve tranny reliability...
    Last edited by 626Boy; April 21, 2006, 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mtx

I have pictures of all the the ones I took apart. I am guessing that the peice you scooted off to the side was the magnet thats in the case. Possibly broken. Its located near the drain hole. A chunk that big would cause your MTX to have problems if it were to do with the actual drive-train.

But if you really want to check things out you must remove the metal end case exposing 5th gear. Remove 5th shifting fork using a punch to drive out the pin holding it to the actuator and loosening the main bolts securing the gears to the shaft they are on making sure to set them aside the same order they were removed. Once all the gears are removed take the small 7/16 bolt out located on the side of the tranny case next to the fill/level screw. Thats the reverse gear bracket bolt. Next remove the detent ball and spring bolt (same size as reverse bracket bolt). Then remove the case bolts and split the case.
    1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
    1996 PSE 330K Miles
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
    Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

Working...
    X