Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Cutout and ABS light

Hi guys, total newb here.

Working on a friend's 93 PGT. What happened is he threw a rod out the side of the block. Someone else pulled the pan to inspect the damage before I saw it. When he brought it to me it was still running.... but anyway I noticed that the Fuel Cutout light was on. Didn't think much of it. Replaced the complete motor with a junkyard piece. Well, now that everything is back together and running, I notice that while the ABS and Fuel Cut lights cycle normally when you start the car, they will flicker and go on and off as you drive. Funny thing is that they do it together. Usually when you start it up they go off normally, but as you drive they may or may not begin to flicker or may just come on or go off as they feel like it.

I did a search to see if anyone else had seen this problem and came across a couple, this one from 2001 being the most similar.

I've been reading through the posts about alternators and there have been others who have had similar problems but will a failed alternator cause:
    ABS light to come on
    Fuel Cutout Light to come on (car still runs)
    about 5psi less fuel pressure
    car runs more rich than it used to (maybe not as effective of a spark igniting the fuel)

Basically I can link everything to the alternator but the fuel cutout light (unless it's a product of decreased pressure from pump?) and ABS light unless maybe the computer needs a specific voltage to work the abs? I'll investigate tomorrow and let you all know. I'm just looking for any ideas you all might have.

-JOel
    93 GT Turbo

Haven't seen any responses that indicate it had been solved. I did see that some people have linked this to alternator problems. Any real word on this? I checked all connections under the hood, verified all ground and power wires. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? The car seems to run just fine whether the lights or on or not.

Thanks for reading!

David

I just had the same problem on my '93 probe. The fuel cutoff light and abs light would blink on and off while the car was started. I noticed that my battery volts were showing awfully low as if the alternator was not recharging the battery. Replaced the alternator and the problem is solved. The lights will blink if not enough current is produced to properly maintain all electrical items. I would suggest you have the alternator tested to eliminate it from the equation

Comment

I would also check for a short in the electric system since you did install a motor which could be grounding out a wiring harness somewhere in the engine bay

Comment

Thanks! I believe you are correct. The alternator is weak.

Comment

i had that problem once but my lights were turned on all the time so i popped the hood and noticed that i had no alternator belt lol so i replaced the belt and it worked just fine

Comment

Working...
          X