I've gone Plasti Dip insane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone Plasti Dip insane.

I wanted to try to plasti dip my car last weekend. It was really cold, and my garage wasn't much warmer, but I still tried it anyways. I may end up redoing some panels (the ones that were closest to the outside) again in the spring, but I am pretty satisfied how it turned out.

The car is Boysenberry (JJ) underneath, and on top, with about 5 coats of Plasti Dip, it is Electric Lime Green. No gloss, no pearl, no metalizer. roof is a matte black. it's not quite flat like regular plastidip, and it's not quite gloss, even though the can said gloss. The rest of the car was done with an electric HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freight.
    If you're gonna do it, you might as well stand out. This might stand out.

Garage is a mess, please ignore.

1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
    2005 Mountaineer Premier

I just bought enough to do my car. Going with the Bora Bora gloss (like their Bora Bora Porsche).

I'm anxious to try it and hopefully it comes out good.
    '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
    '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Wow, that really is insane! Is this to protect the paint or just for fun?
      1996 GT Laser Red

Comment

Thsi protect the paint and is also for fun, you can give whatever color you want and is cheap to buy.

Lime Green looks nice, would look very mad with some Camo dark green on... cheers

Comment

You have a.c. in the garage ? Nice !
          1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

this color looks pretty good
            it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

Yeah I did it to protect the paint, and for a fun experiment. The paint is still in pretty good shape, but the clearcoat has quite a few chips on the front bumper, and on the hood. Plus the clear was starting to do that chicken-feet cracking on the hood. The sides of the car are near perfect.

Greg, how many gallons did you get?
              I didn't use a grey base coat, but I should have. The green doesn't cover very well, especially over purple. With a base coat, I could have gotten away with two gallons of base, two gallons of green. But I ended up using three full gallons of green because I re-did the bumper and passenger rear quarter.

And the AC isn't for the garage, it's for the house. It was retrofitted to the house, because it doesn't have a forced air furnace. I have a boiler for heat.
              2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
              2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Originally posted by spada View Post
                Greg, how many gallons did you get?
                I didn't use a grey base coat, but I should have. The green doesn't cover very well, especially over purple. With a base coat, I could have gotten away with two gallons of base, two gallons of green. But I ended up using three full gallons of green because I re-did the bumper and passenger rear quarter.
                I got three gallons of base (Flex Blue) and two gallons of clear. With the color I picked, I've got to mix in the colorshift pearls into the clear (2 coats), then do some clear topcoats to help make it glossy (three coats)

How many coats were you able to get from each gallon? Trying to figure out exactly how many coats I will be able to get out of each gallon to get a plan of action.

Here's a link to the color I'm doing (Bora Bora) - https://www.youtube.com/embed/0iRtUanEYS8 For those of you that just want to see the finished color skip to 3:28
                Last edited by Greg 94 PGT; December 21, 2017, 07:38 AM.
                '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

You can get about 2 coats per gallon. Flex blue has better coverage than electric lime green, so you might be able to use less, or thin it a bit using Xylene.
                  Ive watched almost every DYC video.
                  2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                  2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

I watched the video. Nice. What is the base? Lacquer , enamel?

Comment

Yeah I figured 3 gallons of flex blue was more than enough (its what they recommended). Two coats per gallon would be great. Then I can use one gallon of clear for the Bora Bora and get a couple more coats of just clear out of the second clear gallon for the gloss.

Originally posted by rod bender View Post
                      I watched the video. Nice. What is the base? Lacquer , enamel?
                      No, it's all rubber based. You basically use the same product to create base layers, to help the color appearance as well as build up a thick layer to help you peel it in the future. If you don't use enough coats, it won't peel easily when you remove it.

They say it lasts for for over two years and my car is garaged, so I'm not worried about that part.

Comment

Do I smell a mipoc dip meet?
                        94 PGT
                        [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

I'll be spraying mine as well due to the crap paint job it received some time back. Not decided on a color but had thought about the orange, green, or the purple. Not sure yet tho. I want to drive it this next summer.
                          1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                          2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                          99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Originally posted by xrp861 View Post
                            Do I smell a mipoc dip meet?
                            Plastidip Spray from a gallon is not something you want to smell either. That stuff is downright gross smelling. Had the ventilator on the whole time.

Plasti Dip from an aerosol smells way better.
                            2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                            2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Smells like a body shop either way lol been around both.
                              94 PGT
                              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Working...
                              X