Springs - Strut - Rear Strut Brace Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs - Strut - Rear Strut Brace Install

This How-To is courtesy of ProbeTalk member soccerjohn.

• Strut and Spring Installation Write Up

I thought that since my Dad and I rebuilt a transmission that I would add something to this forum since I have only been here about 6 months and posted already close to 700. I decided that I would do a write up on how to install springs and struts for the probe. I performed this installation on a 94 Probe Base with no ABS. The springs that I used were the Eibach Pro Kit. The struts were the Tokico Blues. Also I installed a Rear Strut Tower Bar. This installation was fairly easy and only took me and a friend about 4 hours. Would have been less but the was one bolt that was not cooperating. I guess I will just start at the top.

• Tools Needed

1. 14mm socket wrench
    2. Impact Wrench
    3. 17mm socket and 17mm box end wrench
    4. 19 mm socket
    5. Floor jack or regular car jack
    6. Jack stands
    7. WD 40
    8. Screw driver
    9. Spring Compressor
    10. Box knife and Hobby Knife
    Eric
    96 Miata M
    We're all still learning...

Removing the Strut Assembly from the car

1. Loosen the lugs on either the right or left side depending on which side you want to start with.
    2. Jack up the side that you want to start with and then support it with jack stands.
    3. Take of the wheels for that side and set then either under the car and out of the way. You could also use them as a seat since you will be on your knees a bunch.
    4. Start by taking the interior panels off in the trunk area. There is a series of small gray or black clips depending on the interior color. There are also three screws that need to come out on each side. Folding down the rear seats helps to see all the plastic clips that need to come out. Should be 6 in total per side.
    5. Remove the side panels and then flip the foam insulator out of the way exposing the strut mount nuts. There should be three on the rear tower. Loosen those but so not remove yet.
    6. With the wheels off you are now able to reach the strut and spring. Take off the metal clip that holds the brake line and move the line out of the way. You can not afford to break a line or twist it all out of shape.
    7. Then loosen the two 17mm nuts and bolts an impact wrench or an overhand bar to get as much leverage as possibly to break these loose.
    8. With those two nuts and bolts out you should be able to take the strut assembly away from the lower control arms of the suspension. Now remove the three strut tower nuts and remove the assembly from the car.
    9. Repeat these 8 steps for all four struts.
    Eric
    96 Miata M

Comment

Removing and Installing the spring and strut

1. First we will remove the rear springs. This is fairly easy and painless. Just take and step on the assembly with one foot and then that the impact wrench with the 21mm socket and take that strut nut off.
      2. Next look at the instructions that came with the struts or springs and see where you need to cut the bump stop. I cut mine in half. Then place the bump stop back on the new strut and then add the dust boot and then the spring. You can use the spring compressor to compress the spring to finish the install. Just compress the spring add the mount and then tighten the strut mount nut. Leave it a little loose so that is can spin on its axis so that you can position the mount in the right place.
      3. Do this on the rears.
      4. On the fronts be sure to use the spring compressor to take the spring off and on. I didn’t on the first one and that spring was under so much pressure all ready that it shot off like crazy. I recommend the spring compressor for he fronts. Make it easier.
      5. Follow the same steps in the removing and installing the springs onto the strut just add the spring compressor.
      6. Now you are ready to install them back in to the car.
      7. Installing in back into the car is easier then coming out. Duh
      Eric
      96 Miata M

Comment

Installing Spring and Strut Assembly

1. Stick the strut mount up into the holes until all the studs are lines up. Then finger tighten the strut mount nuts until you have the strut fully secured.
        2. Now attach the strut to the control arms with the two 17mm nuts and bolts. I sprayed mine down with WD40 so that they would not rust as fast.
        3. Then tighten with the impact wrench and then tighten the strut mount nuts with a 14mm socket or open ended wrench.
        4. Then after everything is tightened take and use the impact wrench and a 21mm socket and tighten the strut mount nut that is directly on top until its tight.
        5. Apply the strut cap on top and you’re finished.
        6. Repeat this step on all the strut assemblies.
        Eric
        96 Miata M

Comment

Installing the Rear Strut Tower Bar

1. Take the hobby knife and cut a hole in the foam insulator for the bracket to come through.
          2. Before you attach the rear panels back on take an attach the connecting mounts to the strut tower.
          3. Take and place the side panel up against the bracket and push so that it makes a white make on the outside of the panel.
          4. Cut with the box knife a square about 3 ½ inches long and about 2 inches wide. This should give the bracket plenty of room to poke out of the panel. Then attach the panel and shave off any pieces that are touching the bracket with the hobby knife.
          5. Repeat steps 1-5 for the opposite side.
          6. Then attach the Rear Strut Bar to the brackets and tighten and you are good to go.

** This whole installation took about 4 hours but with all the right tools and say that all the bolts come out right, it should take you less of not the 4 hours. Post back if you have any questions or if I can help in any way possible. Thanks and good luck. **
          Eric
          96 Miata M

Comment

Working...
          X