No announcement yet.

Restoration of the French blue Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wanted to make stock looking ground effects out of metal. I see so many are broken and start a bulk buy. Alas, the bulk buy days seem to be gone.

Probe looks great, keep up the good work!
    I think it's an obsession!
    http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

Does anybody have a picture of the door drip moulding fixing?
      They are under the door glass weather strip seal and I don't know how they are fastened from factory?
      Do someone also knows how to fasten the weather strip seal? In which hole go the screws and clips pin?
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

Well I mean how to fasten the part #51727?

There is screw and clips. Where goes where and how much?
        Do I have to secure it with the rubber glass seal?
        There is small and big round holes, and oval holes.
        I am lost, a picture or drawing will be appreciated

Comment

Ok, I will answer myself. After a little thinking, I have found that the correct mounting way is:
          • attach the drip molding to the roof with only 2 screw (9986-50-510)
          • them attach the rubber weatherstrip with 7 screw (9986-50-512), 2 special pin (GA2A-50-6C6) and 7 black plastic pin (2 on the front, 5 on the rear)

Here is some pictures.
          first I fixed the weatherstrip molding as it started to bubble and rust:

I cleaned the rust and applied a rust converter and stopper:

I purchased some JB Weld (read as the strongest bond over the world, made in USA

Let it dry one hour:

Now ready to put in place on the car:

The place were go the parts, carefully cleaned:

The drip molding in place. Note the 2 screw holding it and the color difference between it and the quarter glass seals...

For the end, the rubber weather strip held by clips and screw inside the rubber channel:

Now I have to do the other side
          Last edited by sbeube02; January 17, 2017, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Looks good.

On your pictures can you show a little more detail on which holes are clips and which holes are screws?
            '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
            '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

looks like your making good progress. I remember when i went through this:
              http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ting/day9e.jpg
              Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
              Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
              Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

Car looks incredible. Love the attention to detail! Keep the pics coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg 94 PGT View Post
                  Looks good.

On your pictures can you show a little more detail on which holes are clips and which holes are screws?
                  Yes. Here is a picture showing the position of clips and screw:

• A: black plastic clip*KA78-58-772
                  • B: 5x12mm screw 9986-50-512 or 510
                  • C: special red plastic clip GA2A-50-6C6

Comment

Originally posted by sbeube02 View Post
                    Yes. Here is a picture showing the position of clips and screw:

• A: black plastic clip*KA78-58-772
                    • B: 5x12mm screw 9986-50-512 or 510
                    • C: special red plastic clip GA2A-50-6C6
                    That's perfect. Thank you
                    '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                    '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

I have made zinc plated bolt because all are pretty rusty or not so good looking.
                      These are mainly for the front bumper cover and headlights.

About 1 lbs of various bold ready to be sent to the shop:

And they came near new :

They are not as yellow as original because some chemicals used to protect them in the 90's are not allowed anymore for environment reason. But they are the same color than if you purchase them now at Mazda of Ford stealer.

Comment

Been 2 or 3 years since i was last on here. Love this post!
                        Minnesota Probe owner, Looking for others in Minnesota

Comment

Thanks for your comment! I really appreciate

I am now working on retrofiting the USA headlamps.
                          I have the Euro Headlamps with the small cover and ajusting level beam.
                          The USA headlamps are really rare in Europe. I think the opposite is true for you in the USA
                          And we can't just swap the covers because the mounting points are not the same.

So, here is side by side a comparison.
                          Blue : EU spec headlight
                          Black : US spec headlight

H4 versus sealed beam:

So I totaly strip down the US headlight that I have bought from the USA on ebay.

Sand blasted and primed to remove any spot of rust:

Painted in original Metalic Blue:

All shinny and rust free

Also cleaned all the hardware and screw:

And installed my EU bulbs in the US bulb holder. So they are ok for the MOT ? (annual inspection of the car) and I don't need to cut the original H4 plugs.

Now I have to install them on the car

Comment

I fitted the US headlight to the car. It is quite difficult to adjust the up and down rubber stops.

Unfortunately, I could not fit the headlight covers because they are bent
                            I bought the complete headlight assembly from a junkyard trough ebay and have not seen the covers are bent. One does not fit the curb of the front fender and the other doesn't follow the curb of the hood...
                            So I have to find another cover set from the USA.
                            Looking for your help guys

Comment

thats unfortunate!, but great restoration so far. Keep up the good work
                              97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

sbeube02 Is there anyway to shim the pieces to tilt them in the right direction? Maybe check out some metal working videos on YouTube, to see if there are any tips or tricks that will work for you to help them fit.

... or did you buy the American lids?
                                Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; February 24, 2017, 06:50 PM.
                                Probe out for Harambe
                                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Working...
                                X