bad smoking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad smoking problem

I have an 89 probe gt. I recently rebuilt the engine back all stock. The problem I have is recently the car started smoking. It only smokes when I let off the gas and the engine has backpressure on it, and it smokes a little when I first pull out. The smoke is kinda blue, but at the same time it looks sorda brown and smells like baked oil. I just finished putting a rebuilt stock turbo on the car today and it still does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you clean out the intercooler piping when you put the new turbo on? If not the engine could still be ingesting oil through the intake.

Other possibilities are bad rings and/or bad valve seals.

Comment

I would put either "the patch" or nicotine gum in the intake manifold

Cyress

Comment

I would think rings, I had the same symptoms after MY rebuild, and it turned out to be the rings never seated. Are you having a hard time getting the engine to start? Is the idle smooth, or is it kinda rough? I had both of those symptoms as well, might help you pinpoint the problem.
        1990 Probe LX - Daily beater

Comment

Thank you for all your help. I think it might be the rings also. I pulled the #4 spark plug and the electrode was gone, it didnt look like anything hit it just detonation. The cause of this was my dad put 87 octane in the car with 12lbs. of boost and the car detonated alot. I will do a compression check today and post the outcome. I think that #4 is hurt, although the car still pulls very hard. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I would say it is probably the rings. There's a chance that it could very likely be the valve seals too. Did you replace those when you rebuilt the engine? If you do a compression test do a leak down test too. This should tell you if it's the rings or not.
            Hoser Shane
            "No Ken, I don't work at the Gap"

Comment

It's funny, I had shitty compression in my motor, and it still pulled SO HARD... I wonder how it would have done with good compression??
              1990 Probe LX - Daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMX6GT
                It's funny, I had shitty compression in my motor, and it still pulled SO HARD... I wonder how it would have done with good compression??
                I soooooo know how you feel! I never did get a compression test done before I tore apart my engine but even with the spark plarks in, I could turn the engine by hand!!! :o
                Hoser Shane
                "No Ken, I don't work at the Gap"

Comment

If I remember right my compression was 187 182 187 182 or something close to that. Is that Good? (I have well over 220,000 miles on my 89PGT).

Comment

Originally posted by probemangt
                    If I remember right my compression was 187 182 187 182 or something close to that. Is that Good? (I have well over 220,000 miles on my 89PGT).
                    Holy cow. I hope you're remembering wrong. With our motors the max you could get is 160, and as long as all 4 are within 25% of each other that is good. Most get about 150 when they do a compression test. Make sure to hold the gas pedal while you do the test, and make sure you turn the same amount of turns for each cylinder. I hope you meant to say 147 142 147 142
                    Black 99 F150 Lightning with a 2.3L Kenne Bell and extras 465whp/ 593ft/lbs 12.786@104.495
                    Black 91pgt 12.02@108mph, 12.04@115mph 12.06@119mph 350.6hp 425.6ft/lbs Best 1/8th 7.81@94.79mph

Comment

to do a compression test you keep turning the car over until the tester dosent go any higher
                      mine was 170 170 170 170 and why would you have to press the gas pedal down id really like to know

Comment

OK guys I did a compression check yesterday. 127-130-128-131 Although when I pulled the #4 spark plug it had a little oil on it. I now dont think its the rings, I'm thinking valve seals. Anyways thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I'm not sure why you have to hold the gas pedal down. Most cars you don't have to. If you do the test and all of your numbers come up as 90s range, then you hold the gas pedal down. That usally fixes it. I had to do this once, not really sure why it didn't work.

Hey vin what kind of car do you have that you have that much compression? Do you have a gl or something?
                          Black 99 F150 Lightning with a 2.3L Kenne Bell and extras 465whp/ 593ft/lbs 12.786@104.495
                          Black 91pgt 12.02@108mph, 12.04@115mph 12.06@119mph 350.6hp 425.6ft/lbs Best 1/8th 7.81@94.79mph

Comment

yeah i have a 1990 GL

an 89tpgt what band valve seal did you use when you did a rebuild id like to know that to

Comment

I checked where I wrote it down as I did each one. It was 187 182 187 182.

Why is this bad?
                              Why would I have higher compression then most?
                              Would that make something wrong?
                              It runs great, and doesn't smoke a bit. I figured the numbers had to be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X