Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Review: Mother's PowerBall 4 Lights Headlight Restoration

Product Review: Mother's PowerBall 4Lights® Headlight Restoration Kit

I would like to preface this by saying that this review will not be a reiteration of the printed instructions, nor a step-by-step documentation on how to use the product. Mother's already has a couple of very nice videos available on their website that illustrate how to use this product. What this article will be is a recount of my experience using this product per the instructions, my opinion of how the product performed, and whether or not I was satisfied with the results.

With that said, on to the review.

Most new cars today come with plastic headlight lenses. Over time, the clear coat on these lenses will start to oxidize or "yellow". Often times, it can cloud the headlight lens to the point that light output is severely reduced and this can present a large safety hazard. My car was no different. I own a 2001 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra and its headlights slowly lost their brightness due to oxidation. I have tried a few different products over the last couple of years and none of them worked anywhere near what I expected.

While speaking with a friend at a recent car show, recounting my experiences with the four to five different products I had tried, he asked me if I had tried the Mother's headlight restoration kit. I mentioned that I had seen the kit on sale at a local auto parts store and was contemplating purchasing it. It was during our conversation that he mentioned his experiences with the product on his vehicle, a Ford SVT Contour, and how well it worked. I then decided that I would give this product a shot, before I decided to simply purchase new headlight lenses.

I received the product about two weeks after the show, along with a few other Mother's products, courtesy of my friend Jim. The box contained everything I would need to complete the job:
    • Mother's PowerBall drill attachment
    • Mother's PowerPlastic polish
    • a micro fiber cloth
    • Mother's Severe Damage Headlight Restoration Pack

The pictures below will show the headlights in the condition they were at the time I removed them to start the restoration procedure:

As you can see, they are not in the best shape. With my vehicle, I was able to easily remove the headlight lenses. This may not be the case with your vehicle, so it may be necessary to mask off the area around the headlight lens with blue painter's masking tape to protect your paint.

The first step in the process would be to clean the lenses, dry them, then use the product per the instructions on the back of the box. I attached the PowerBall to my cordless drill, applied the polish to the PowerBall, then applied the PowerBall to the headlight lens. I actually did this about 2-3 times per lens to compare results and to see how well the basic directions worked.

Unfortunately, the lenses were still very oxidized. I realized that I would need to use the Severe Damage Headlight Restoration Pack that came with the kit. This pack comes with two restoration sanding pads, which are simply two two-sided pads with a progressively finer grit piece of wet sandpaper on each side. Pad 1 had one side with 800 grit and the other with 1,000 grit. Pad 2 had one side with 1,500 grit and the other with 2,000 grit. It also comes with a printed set of instructions on how to use the restoration pads.

Now, with any project that requires the use of wet sandpaper, you should keep a handy amount of water around to keep both the sandpaper and sanding surface wet. To do this, I simply used a two gallon bucket and filled it with water. I also used a small cup that would keep the restoration pads wet when I wasn't using them. While doing this process, I did change the water between steps 1 and 2 of the sanding process for each lens. I did this to keep the water cleaner and to prevent the pad surface from becoming too dirty during use.

One of the things the Pack instructions did not mention was how long to sand on each pad. It did mention that with each successively finer pad, the sanding time should increase accordingly, and that each step should be done until the lens had a uniform look. With step 1, I wound up spending about 15-20 minutes. Here are some pics to show how the lens should look like at this point:

ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

The instructions recommended rotating the direction you are sanding in 90 degrees, so when I started step 2, I did this and spent about 20-25 minutes sanding. After this was done, the lenses should look similar to this:

Switching to Pad #2, side 3 and spending 25-30 minutes yielded the following:

Flipping over to side 4 and spending 30-40 minutes on each lens:

Alright, after spending a total of nearly 2 hours on each lens, I was ready to finally polish them to a bright shine. To ensure a clean, smooth surface, after I was finished sanding, the lenses were washed and dried. I got my cordless drill, attached the PowerBall, applied the polish to the PowerBall, then went about polishing sections of the lens per the box instructions. The idea is to work small sections at a time and polish the area to a nice shine working the PowerBall in a circular motion. The instructions recommend using a drill with a speed of 1,500 to 2,000 rpm, however my drill did not spin as fast, so I had to spend a bit more time and repeated the polishing step until I was satisfied with the results. These are some of the pics from the process:

Looking at the pictures, the results are pretty obvious: the sanding process helped get the lenses to a point where they could be polished to a nice shine!

After I finished polishing both lenses, I finished them off by spraying some Mother's Protectant (a spray rubber/vinyl/plastic protectant), wiping off, and then reinstalling them on the car:

So, the entire process was not as easy as I intially hoped for it to be. I was hoping to avoid having to sand the lenses, but due to how bad the oxidation had become, there was simply no other choice. None of the other products I tried, contained a package to deal with severe oxidation, except the Mother's kit. This kit provided me with everything that was needed to restore my headlight lenses to their former glory. The real test came a few short days later when the car was taken on a road trip and driven at night. The light output was drastically improved!

I am very happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone who has headlights in dire need of restoration.

The kit is reasonably priced at most auto parts stores around $25.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

clean headlights FTW ( . )( . )

the mothers products are some of the best
      it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

I just bought a set of clear corners (super cheap, but they were sooo dirty) and they cleaned up nice. Good writeup and a nice touch to any cars appearance!
        1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
        Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
        1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
        2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

Very nice. Might have to work that in the girlfriend's birthday gift pack....her Protege's lights are getting that tired look as well.
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

I'd like to see how long this kit lasts. I've used the Turtle Wax brand restoration kit on my Mustang and they started to yellow again after a few months...
            '93 MX-6 LS
            '93 Mustang GT
            '87 Mustang GT *Scrapped*

Comment

Originally posted by bluesteel93 View Post
              I'd like to see how long this kit lasts. I've used the Turtle Wax brand restoration kit on my Mustang and they started to yellow again after a few months...
              i used the kit shortly after i received it, which was in early may. so far, after having done the procedure, it's lasted perfectly nearly 3 months later.

the kit does mention touching it up with the polish about once a month. while i haven't gone that far, what i do is use the Mothers Protectant spray whenever i wash the car. the spay is a rubber/vinyl/plastic protectant similar to armorall and the application of the product is similar.

i should have shown you the car when you were over so you could have seen the results up close.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

I was always curious about this product, but I cheaped out and bought the Turtle Wax kit for my Speed Protege and Speed6. Both of those cars' lights were in about the same shape as your Mustang's. That kit did a pretty nice job and I didn't have a polisher available, so I did everything by hand. It probably would have come out even better if I had used a polisher.

And what is up with Mazda and their unacceptably bad headlight lenses? Only a few years old and my 6 already had brown/hazy headlights! And the Protege was even worse!
                Last edited by RedGT; July 25, 2011, 09:30 AM.
                1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

Looks good, Damon.

Originally posted by RedGT
                  And what is up with Mazda and their unacceptably bad headlight lenses? Only a few years old and my 6 already had brown/hazy headlights! And the Protege was even worse!
                  Got news for you, it's not just Mazda. My 350Z has a problem of oxidized headlights, too. See, originally headlight lenses were glass and did not have this issue. Now, headlight lenses are polycarbonate so the cool shapes in the vehicle design can occur.

I use the Meguiar's PlastX on my headlights about once every 2-3 months. No drill or powerball required but I do use a foam applicator and work it in until it disappears. Then go over the surface with some Optimum Opti-Seal sealant.

There are two options for keeping the headlights looking new without routine maintenance that I know of: clear coat the lenses or use a UV cured headlight restoration system (e.g., Lightrite, etc.).
                  Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
                  1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
                  "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

Well ill add my 2 cents first off let me start by saying i love mothers stuff its great works good. However there is a headlight restoration made by 3m that has sanding disks for the drill attachment you can do this same thing in about 15 to 20 mins per lense i know this cause i work for a parts store and this is what the shop guys go after when they run outta there professional kits stuff
                    95se t3/o4e .57t.63ar 9psi@11.8afr
                    38mm wastegate,rfl bov,begi fmu,fuel lab afpr,1g 330 injectors,2.5 down pipe,giant fmic,2.5ic piping,2.5 exhaust,sts,msd coil ,pa wires,bkr7e-11.7.5 fidanza fw,spec stg1, I dont have enough rooms to list all the mods now Burning through third gear fun. When they say custom 2.0 turbo they aint lyin. Its not peer pressure its just your turn!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGT View Post
                      I was always curious about this product, but I cheaped out and bought the Turtle Wax kit for my Speed Protege and Speed6. Both of those cars' lights were in about the same shape as your Mustang's. That kit did a pretty nice job and I didn't have a polisher available, so I did everything by hand. It probably would have come out even better if I had used a polisher.

Toyota lenses are far far worse.

First great writeup and really good product.

At my job i restore headlights regularly and can offer some wisdom here, i would have told you first off that your lenses were way past just buffing out. The clear had to come off to make any progress.

At work i start with 320 grit and finish with 1000 with several grits between.

I cant dedicate 4 hours to a set of lights so coarse is best for me.

I would preffer finishing with 1500-2000 though but 1k is what they give me.

If you have any pitting or scratching count on sanding, trying to just buff will make things worse as the compound will get trapped in the reccesses and cloud the lens further.

Some lights like. Cadillacs and other lux brands use very hard clears, i can go through 4-5 320 pads per lens just to get the clear off!

On the other habd some cheaper lenses are nearly impossible th shine up well.

With the finer paper in the kit and the coating that shouldnt be so bad though.

Try it on your fogs! Fogs take a beating and get no love lol.
                      Last edited by ls-6; September 10, 2011, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anomaly View Post
                        I use the Meguiar's PlastX on my headlights about once every 2-3 months. No drill or powerball required but I do use a foam applicator and work it in until it disappears. Then go over the surface with some Optimum Opti-Seal sealant.
                        the plastx is great for mild oxidation, would recommend as well. seems the mothers kit with the polishing ball is the way to go for heavy oxidation and a nice polish. any kind of uv protectant or clear coat spray should do the trick in keeping it looking that way.
                        92 PGTt3/t4, hks pipes, large fmic, 460cc inj, chipped, tucked
                        89 MX6 GT planned KL swap + nitrous + turbo
                        93' PGT Junked
                        93' PGT Sold... then riced out.

Comment

I've never used the actual headlight products but have heard nothing but good reviews. Personally, I just use a buffing wheel and two stages of 3M compound.
                          Rio Red 94' PGT MTX - >CarDomain<

Comment

A little off the original topic, but has anyone heard of this method for light restoration? I think I'll try it on my Speed6 headlights which are hazy as hellllll.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oat-2-0-a.html
                            1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

thanks for the review. looks like i'll be buying the kit this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X