This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N20 Questions? - Then READ THIS

Well I am pretty sure I want to use nitrous in my car, I have the motor out now and I am doing Stage 1 clutch, fidenza Flywheel, motor mounts, headers, SS clutch line, I may be putting in a ZE intake manifold, and ZE cams....well see. My is a 1997 Ford Probe GT, it has 117K on it and I would like to do a KLZE swap, but dont have the money just now. I have been searching on here for a few days now and have learned so much about nitrous. The fast and the Furios really gave it a bad name huh?....I thought it could only be activated when in top gear and a certain RPM. Now i read you can set it come on whenever its at WOT. Or set up a switch. I have also learned that the 5115 Kit from "NOS" is good for our cars. I plan on starting with a 35-40 shot and later on after seeing how it goes moving to a 50 shot. I am most def. going to buy a wideband A/F gauge. My questions are whats the difference between a wet kit, and dry?...Why can you run a 75 shot safely if its thru a wet kit?....How much more money is a wet kit?.....I found some, but was wondering if there is any detailed install pics of a wet and dry kit....thank you
    Black 1997 Ford Probe GT 5-Speed [Headers] [Test Pipe] [CAI] [65 mm Throttle Body] [Magnacor Wires] [RR-Racing STS] [RR-Racing Inserts] [Stage 1 Clutchmasters] [Fidenza Flywheel] [SS Clutch Line]

Here is something I ripped off the Nitrous Express website. I will be making addendums to address KL and FS-specific issues as I have time and resources. Chuck, feel free to make your own additions as you see fit

While this FAQ addresses Nitrous Express (NX) kits in particular, it is very similar to the other manufacturers' FAQs (NOS, ZEX, Nitrous Works, etc). Some particulars will differ (JETS, bottle pressure, accessories or their names), but the topic of nitrous oxide and its application is universal. It is YOUR responsibility to check your manufacturers' details for jet sizing and optimal bottle pressure.

As far as install pics, just search the pic forums with the appropriate keywords.

Q. How does nitrous oxide create more horsepower?
    A. Nitrous oxide provides the oxygen that allows an engine to burn more fuel, more burned fuel equals more power.

Q. What is the difference between a wet and a dry system?
    A. A "Wet" system introduces a homogenous mixture of nitrous and atomized fuel into the incoming air stream, thus providing a perfect air/fuel ratio for each. [addendum] - a wet kit adds a fuel line to the intake manifold so you are spraying a mix of fuel and nitrous directly into the motor - this keeps injectors happy at stock pressures but takes more plumbing work (not too much though). A dry kit sprays nitrous only, but raises fuel pressure to the injectors so that your extra fuel is added that way - this is bad (with BIG shots only) because you can only raise the pressure to about 70-75 psi on a stock system before the injector pattern goes bad, AND may render your fuel pump inadequate. For shots up to 75, a stock fuel pump may work, but generally on PT we recommend fuel pump upgrades for anything over 50 dry.[end add - Dan]

Q. Can I still run my car all-motor with nitrous installed?
    A. Of course, the nitrous system only affects performance when it is being used.

Q. How can nitrous blow my engine up?
    A. Nitrous in and of itself cannot "blowup" an engine. Nitrous kits of poor design, poor quality, and improper air/fuel ratios damage engines.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
    A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. What is meant by 30, 50, 100, 150, and 200 shot?
    A. "Shot" is commonly used slang in the nitrous community to refer to the amount of horsepower increase provided by the nitrous system.

Q. How long can I squeeze nitrous in my engine?
    A. With an NX system the only limitation is the capacity of the N2O bottle or the RPM limit of the engine.

Q. When is the best time to use nitrous?
    A. When you want to go fast.

Q. How can a nitrous system be activated (a "happy button," automatically, or what)?
    A. All NX systems come standard with wide-open throttle switches, however we offer an electronic TPS switch as well as a push button.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
    A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
    A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
    A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Can I install a nitrous system on my car if there is no kit available?
    A. NX has a system for every car manufactured in the world today.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
    A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?
    A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

Q. How much does it cost to get nitrous refills?
    A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

Q. Are there nitrous systems available for late model imports?
    A. NX makes a system for every car manufactured today.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
    A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Will I need anything else to install the kit properly?
    A. To complete the installation a Gen-X package should be ordered with the system. This includes the bottle heater, liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge, low fuel pressure safety switch, and a external bottle vent fitting and plumbing kit.

Q. Can I hide my nitrous system from a novice tuner?
    A. Yes, it is quite easy to hide an NX system from the casual observer.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
    A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
    A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
    A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

Q. Why doesn't everyone use nitrous?
    A. Nitrous is not for everyone, some people prefer turbos, some like blowers, and others feel it is cheating to use nitrous.

Technical Questions -

Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a fuel-injected vehicle?
    A. The NX system is a complete stand-alone air/fuel delivery system that augments the standard factory EFI unit. It provides additional fuel and oxygen to the cylinders via the patented "Shark" nozzle mounted in the intake tract to provide additional horsepower.
    Last edited by Dan [Sac]; February 12, 2007, 12:28 AM.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Q. How does a nitrous system operate on a carbureted vehicle?
      A. The most common method of boosting power on carbureted applications is the use of a "plate" sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold. This plate contains orificed tubes that deliver the nitrous/fuel mixture in precise ratios.

Q. How easy is it to install a basic wet nitrous system?
      A. The NX "Stage One" EFI System is very straightforward. It requires no engine disassembly, no fuel system modifications or timing retards. Simply install the "Shark" nozzle in the intake tract approximately 2-6 inches in front of the throttle body and connect the fuel solenoid to the high-pressure side of the injection rail and your ready to go.

Q. Purge valves look cool, should I get one for my nitrous vehicle?
      A. A purge valve is a valuable tool for increased nitrous performance. It allows the user to "Purge" all gaseous nitrous from the bottle supply line prior to using the system. This allows for a harder "Hit" from the system thus increasing performance.

Q. What safety features come with a nitrous system?
      A. There are several safety related devises that can be used with a modern nitrous system. The first, and most important is the wide-open throttle switch. This prevents the user from accidentally engaging the system. A special high flow nitrous filter is furnished with every NX street system. All hoses are aircraft quality stainless steel braided, Teflon. All NX systems come with the highest quality, made in the USA, stainless steel solenoids.

Q. How does the solenoid know when to open and release the nitrous oxide?
      A. All NX systems are furnished with Wide Open Throttle switches. This switch signals the solenoids to open when the motor reaches wide-open throttle.

Q. What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?
      A. The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.

Q. What is nitrous backfire?
      A. Nitrous backfires can be caused by two situations. 1. A nitrous system that is two rich or a system that atomizes the fuel poorly, thus causing pooling or puddling of fuel in the intake manifold. 2. A system that is operated too lean.

Q. Should I use an aftermarket ignition with nitrous?
      A. All NX Street or Stage One systems are designed to operate with stock ignition; however any upgrade in the stock ignition is a definite plus.

Q. Should I change my ignition system in any way (timing, plugs, etc.)?
      A. All NX Stage One or Street systems are designed to operate with no timing retard. Spark plugs should be changed to non-platinum style, 1 to 2 steps colder than stock.

Q. Will a bigger bottle give you more horsepower?
      A. No; however a larger capacity bottle will provide a more stable bottle pressure resulting in a lower E.T. and a higher M.P.H.

Q. What is the difference between a 1 stage and a 2 stage system?
      A. A single stage system refers to one single nitrous system; a 2 stage or dual stage incorporates two nitrous systems on one application. This allows a car to launch with the maximum horsepower possible, with the traction available, then add more power down track as the car can handle it.

Q. Why does my engine need more fuel while on the bottle?
      A. The fuel, or gasoline, is the source of the additional horsepower. The nitrous' job is to provide the oxygen to allow the fuel to be burned.

Q. How can my engine get more fuel while on the bottle?
      A. All NX systems add additional fuel during nitrous usage by injecting it directly with the nitrous through their patented "Shark" nozzle. This method assures 100% atomization of the fuel and accurate air/fuel ratios.

Q. What is the safest way to configure nitrous activation?
      A. The only safe way is to use a wide open throttle switch, however you may configure any number of ways to "trip" the system but all must be used in conjunction with some type of wide open throttle switch.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Q. Is a bottle heater good?
        A. A quality bottle heater is essential to proper nitrous system performance.

Q. How much pressure should be in my bottle?
        A. All NX systems are designed to operate between 900-1050 PSI.

Q. What accessories are available for a nitrous system?
        A. NX has over one hundred accessory part numbers, ranging from digital progressive controllers to space age bottle insulating jackets.

Q. Can I vary the amount of nitrous injected when I want?
        A. Yes, by utilizing NX's digital progressive controller, the "Maximizer". This devise allows the user to precisely control the amount of nitrous delivered to his engine from the comfort of the drivers seat.

Q. Can I install a nitrous system on my car if there is no kit available?
        A. NX has a system for every car manufactured in the world today.

Q. Do you have an installation manual online so I can see if I want to install a kit on my car?
        A. Yes.

Q. How does a nitrous system know when I'm at wide-open throttle?
        A. All NX systems are equipped with wide-open throttle micro switches, or an optional electronic TPS switch is available.

Q. How much of a horsepower increase can I expect from a nitrous system?
        A. All NX systems make within 2% of their claimed horsepower, if you jet the system for 50 horsepower then you can expect no less than 49 horsepower, but usually a few more than the rated amount.

Q. Are there any dangers or things to stay away from while using nitrous?
        A. Of course, NX recommends that no more than an additional 20 horsepower per cylinder be used on a stock engine, with a stock fuel pump. Always be sure you are using clean, uncontaminated nitrous. Also, be sure you have the highest octane fuel available, I.E. 93 octane premium for, stock compression, street cars and the highest motor octane fuel available for competition type vehicles.

Q. Is there a trade off for engine reliability and power produced with nitrous?
        A. When used according to factory recommendations, shortened engine life should not be a concern.

Q. How long will a bottle of nitrous last?
        A. That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: .8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use .8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.

A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

Q. Can you feed an engine too much nitrous even if you keep the air/fuel ratio the same?
        A. Yes, if the mechanical limits of the engine are exceeded catastrophic engine failure will result.

Q. What comes with a nitrous kit?
        A. Most NX systems come complete with a 10 lb nitrous bottle, stainless steel bottle brackets, 16 ft aircraft style supply line, N2O filter, lifetime warranty nitrous and fuel solenoids with mounts, all standard jet settings, an NX patented Shark nozzle (nozzles), or a patented carbureted plate, wide open throttle switch, a complete installation pack that includes all bolts, nuts, washers, wire, wire terminals, lighted arming switch, and complete instructions with pictures.

Q. Will I need anything else to install the kit properly?
        A. To complete the installation a Gen-X package should be ordered with the system. This includes the bottle heater, liquid filled nitrous pressure gauge, low fuel pressure safety switch, and a external bottle vent fitting and plumbing kit.

Q. Can I hide my nitrous system from a novice tuner?
        A. Yes, it is quite easy to hide an NX system from the casual observer.

Q. Can I use a nitrous kit on an automatic?
        A. Yes, the preferred application, for nitrous, is an automatic transmission equipped vehicle.

Q. Can you powerbrake an automatic with nitrous without it blowing up?
        A. The answer is a qualified, yes. If your brakes can hold your engine, at full throttle, with the nitrous on, the answer is yes, but it is doubtful this would be possible.

Q. Can a nitrous system be set up to shut down once the brake is depressed?
        A. Yes, if the user wires his system with a double throw-double pole relay placed between the arming switch and the wide open throttle switch that is activated when the brakes are applied.

Q. Can nitrous systems be used with aftermarket chips or ECU's?
        A. Yes, however close attention must be paid to excessive timing advance that could cause detonation.

Q. Are drag racing launch techniques any different with nitrous for AT or MT's?
        A. Depending on the traction available the launch techniques are the same, however with the increased torque and horsepower generated by nitrous usage, sometimes is necessary to delay the nitrous onset for a brief period.

Q. How high must the RPM's before activating nitrous?
        A. The RPM level is not as important as is the motors ability to rev freely when the nitrous is engaged, I.E. If the vehicle is in low gear, nitrous can be engaged at any time, but if the vehicle is in a higher gear moving at a slow speed when the nitrous is engaged the engine will detonate and damage will occur.

Q. Does nitrous increase cylinder temperatures and combustion chamber pressure?
        A. No, cylinder temperatures should stay the same when the correct nitrous air/fuel ratio is used. Yes, increased cylinder pressure equals increased horsepower.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my high compression engine?
        A. Yes, but the proper octane fuel must be used to prevent detonation.

Q. Can I use nitrous on my turbo or supercharged vehicle?
        A. Yes, NX specializes in turbo-supercharged nitrous applications.

Q. What are some general rules for creating the most horsepower without damaging anything?
        A. Generally speaking the amount of power that can be created with nitrous is almost limitless. To avoid a catastrophe, the internal components of the engine must match the amount of power that is going to be generated. The use of proper air/fuel ratios is essential and the quality of the nitrous system is paramount.

Q. What pressure should my nitrous bottle be at?
        A. All NX systems are calibrated to operate at 900-1050 PSI.

[b]Q. What if the pressure is too high, should I cool it?
        A. If the bottle pressure is in excess of 1100 PSI the bottle should be cooled using a wet towel or chamois.

Comment

Q. Is there any harm that can be done to my engine if I use nitrous while the bottle pressure is too high?
          A. Yes, the nitrous system will run "lean" if the nitrous pressure is high beyond specification. This could cause severe engine damage.

Q. Where should I run the main nitrous feed line?
          A. The feed line can be run either under the car of through the passenger compartment. Care should be taken to route the line away from any voltage points or moving suspension parts.

Q. Where should I install my bottle?
          A. The ideal place to mount the bottle is in the trunk; however if your car is a hatchback it is permissible to mount it in the passenger compartment if an external pressure relief vent is properly installed on the bottle.

Q. What if my bottle leaks while I'm driving, could I get busted for OWI?
          A. To become, "intoxicated", the nitrous leak would have to be severe and noticeable. No excuses to be found here!

Q. Is a nitrous system worth the money (horsepower per dollar wise)?
          A. No other devise in the world offers such a bargain as nitrous oxide.

Q. Why doesn't everyone use nitrous?
          A. Nitrous is not for everyone, some people prefer turbos, some like blowers, and others feel it is cheating to use nitrous.

Q. Why does nitrous have such a scary reputation?
          A. There has been some very shoddy nitrous "kits" sold to unsuspecting customers over the last 20 years; this along with the abuse nitrous has suffered from "idiots" who damage their own engines.

Comment

thanks for posting this has been very informative.
            93 PGT- street/track build KLZE, All Go no show! Cracked block repairs in progress.
            95 PGT- Daily Driver KLDE, body kit, 18in rims, cai, dual exhaust, plugs and wires.
            96 PGT- Turbo Project KLZE, will be both Show AND GO!
            1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Street/Strip project. if you wanna know whats under the hood come and find out!

Comment

Working...
            X