X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery... is... dying...

Yeah, I doubt any of you read this...
    http://www.probetalk.com/forums/show...did=1701048467

but that was my problem when I was trying to install my deck. But now its gone further. The alaby (spelling)

I finished work, gave my friend a lift home and as I was coming back to my house, my headlights turned off and my radio died. The radio in the last couple days was turning off and on randomly, but I've been working ot lately so I haven't had time to check it. Before I get home, I feel a loss of power and as soon as I hit the last stop sign I could feel her dying... I barely got it home and as soon as I threw it in park, it died. Whats up? This was the same problem I had while attempting to install my deck, but its been fine for ~week.

We found out the negative term wire was loose, so thats probably why my deck kept on shutting on and off randomly... we had to get a new bolt cuz it was all stripped... we jumped her again, she'd sit there for about 4-5 minutes, and reading the guage on the cluster, it would read near the bottom of "normal" then about 7 or 8 minutes later, youd watch it and see it gradually drain to dead... and it would shut off if you stopped revving it...

Whats peculiar is, the battery was recently charged in a shop, the battery is ~2 months old and the alternator was replaced one year ago. I have 92k KM's on it and I've already taken out the deck etc. So why the battery is dying while the car is running is beyond me.... maybe you guys can help.

TIA
    '89 GL
    '94 2.0

Get your alternator tested. Your car should be able to run without the battery at all if the alternator is working properly. If you have a bad alternator and you keep trying to run the power off your battery you may destroy the battery as well.

Comment

And probably now the battery has a dead cell in it, and won't hold a charge.

Comment

super, alternator is gone... still have warantee on the battery, so I'm not too worried about that. It's pretty much brand new! gah, this angers me... I checked out the price an a H.O. alt... 180A for about 320usd... a lot more than I was expecting to pay. It woudl end up being over 500cdn for me. How difficult is it to swap the alt yourself? Do you guys know of any cheap places online? The cheapest I've got so far is 220cdn for the stock 80A alt... I think its rebuilt as well.

anyways, thanks for the help.
        '89 GL
        '94 2.0

Comment

$25 - $30 @ a junkyard. With a some ingenuity and a tad of frustration you could replace it yourself and save a ton.

Comment

why did you resurect a 2 year old post that was already solved? please, don't do this. there are enough new posts that need answeres every day.
            "Gone" but still around...

90 PGT, RIP
            01 Dakota V8 4.7L 4x4 5spd
            85 Supra mkII 5spd, new project

Comment

so, it was a good point for anyone else who was wondering. to add to de2r's good point, any time a car is parted out in the F/S forum the alternator is usually one of the parts most commonly listed...I've seen them go for $20.

Comment

there's a guy on ebay that sells the alternators for our car (he lists it under a mitsubishi part, but doesn't list it under the possible applications) it's hard to find on ebay but i think i got mine for somewhere around 40$ shipped to my house. took me around an hour to install but it was newly rebuilt and i've had no problems with it

Comment

haha, thought this was old... I was wondering why my old post came back :o. Anyway, I would have gone the USA route, but at the time it was my daily driver =\ so I needed a part locally. In this town, there is maybe, 1 probe at a time in the yards, and what they were charging for used or rebuilt alts, I may as well have bought a new one anyway, which I did end up doing. Haven't driven the thing all winter, but I'm unleashing the beast this summer, so will see how it's holding up
                  '89 GL
                  '94 2.0

Comment

Working...
                  X