Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old September 6th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #51
polarexpress17
bibliographically epic

i don't think your logic is correct there, the injectors will still need the same amount of fuel as smaller ones in this aspect. the pump is the injector's supply and you will still be using the same amount of fuel

it will just be done more efficiently and safer with the big injectors vs smaller ones.

at least that is how i understand it
polarexpress17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #52
SBPGT
Five Star Member

I figured I would need a new pump anyway. It was just thought I had while I posting.

I just assumed that there would be less pressure (pumps flow more at lower pressure, right?) and the lower duty cycle of the bigger injectors would deliver the needed fuel in shorter/more volume squirts. So running at 33psi instead of 43 psi might let the pump flow more. But, with the AFPR and boost it would be back up near the stock 43psi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Mazda 626 ES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #53
polarexpress17
bibliographically epic

basically either way you will be using more fuel under boost, more fuel is what the stock pump usually can't do, plus you can find a walbro 255 regularly for under $80-$90 so its almost a no brainer tbh

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

as a matter of fact i'd sell you my 255 for 55 shipped. going back to stock so i wn't need it
polarexpress17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:16 AM   #54
SBPGT
Five Star Member

Did some basic calculations: (using my engines hp output, boost required, B.S.F.C. of .6, also included a 5 psi pumping loss between pump and rails for extra safety.)

Don't know the stock pump's flow specs
A 190ltr/hr pump will be about maxed out around 360 Crank HP
A 255ltr/hr pump will be about maxed out around 500 Crank HP
Both pumps will supply more fuel for a little more HP if you have a constant 13.5 volts.

The required fuel flow will be different for everyone, depending the the amount of HP, base fuel pressure, B.S.F.C. and boost you'll be running(increased fuel pressure 1:1 per boost).

2002 Mazda 626 ES

Old June 14th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #55
SBPGT
Five Star Member

WOW, almost 2 YEARS!

Starting to work on the car again, except it's gonna be 120 degrees this weekend!

Doing a few other side projects in the mean time...

Stripping some tar with the oscillating multi-tool. I think I'm going to try the dry ice on the next part?

Cleaning up the ZE manifold.

The ZE manifold casting flash is horrible compared to the DE!

Also, noticed when I removed the fuel rails, 2 of the hold down bolts weren't even tightened down!

In the Probe owner's "make it yourself" world... I made some wooden V-blocks for my camshafts.

They are for holding the cams while I mic them out. I can use it to check if there is any bow to the cams, runout and lobe lift. When I measured this cam(the one that was in my car) everything mic'ed out dead nominal.

Cleaning up the cam caps too... I lightly used some wet 2000 grit and polished them, but may need a little more sanding?

I wonder how many people just throw in their new cams and go, without checking them. I want to make sure the regrinds are straight and and the journals are in spec. If I have to modify the cam caps too much for the regrinds, then I won't be able to reinstall the stock cams later if I want to.

Also, bought a EGR block off plate. Plan to remove all the EGR junk, vacuum solenoids, and clean up some wiring.

2002 Mazda 626 ES

Old June 14th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #56
plx92

Glad to see you're still working on the car! Progress looks good.
2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
2017 BRZ Premium_Daily
plx92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #57
KLZE Porsche
Politically Correct User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBPGT View Post
I wonder how many people just throw in their new cams and go, without checking them. I want to make sure the regrinds are straight and and the journals are in spec. If I have to modify the cam caps too much for the regrinds, then I won't be able to reinstall the stock cams later if I want to.

Also, bought a EGR block off plate. Plan to remove all the EGR junk, vacuum solenoids, and clean up some wiring.
I never just throw in cams any more -ever since I discovered how much slop there was in the clearances. To me it is better to match the heads to some custom grind cams -because for me it is easier (and cheaper) to get another set of heads than custom cams. Heads can come from lots of the newer Mazdas and so they are still fairly plentiful around (at least for the moment)

I stocked up on my sets of heads years ago and so I have at least 10 sets of heads and 8 blocks to build from.

-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; June 14th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
KLZE Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #58
proboner

I tried dry ice for the tar removal and it didnt do much. I don't think there's really an easy way to remove it other than hard work.

Elo-

The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Project RWD- RWD PGT For Sale... pm me if interested
proboner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #59
SBPGT
Five Star Member

Well it is 103* out at 10:15PM, but it was only 95* in the garage with a portable swamp cooler and a 20" fan.

Spent about 45 min. on the intake. I did some smoothing and leveling of the front runners and top plenum. Hand sander and some 60 grit.

Time to go back inside to the A/C...

2002 Mazda 626 ES

Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:27 AM   #60
natecade1
Dedicated Member

I spilled a quart of unused motor oil in my spare tire area and let it soak for a while (unintentionally) and then the sound deadening just fell off the metal on it's own in big pieces.

not sure how useful this information is.
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #61
SBPGT
Five Star Member

Spending a lot of time at work and school. Haven't worked on the car much. Been spending money on other hobbies lately...

PS4

Guitar 1
Guitar 2
Guitar 3

I wanted to use silicone plug/caps to block of the heater hose fittings. I could only find the cheap rubber or the knock-off cheap silicone plugs. So I bought some new hose and plugs at Home Depot.

SharkBite plugs

But the next day at work I found some extra aluminum stock and made my own plugs.

Cleaning up the engine bay a little bit...

Removed the heater hose loop, EGR, EGR hoses, VRIS and other solenoids, and taped electrical connectors to wire harness.
Parts and stuff

I plan to start on the new fuel lines next, and I still have the cam regrinds to install.

Maybe I'll do more soon?

2002 Mazda 626 ES

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #62
proboner

Very cool, I was planning on looping my heater hoses together, but perhaps this block-off idea will be easier! Keep it up!

Elo-

Old March 12th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #63
SBPGT
Five Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
Very cool, I was planning on looping my heater hoses together, but perhaps this block-off idea will be easier! Keep it up!
Definitely not easier. A little bit more space, I don't really like the look of all the clamps. If I had an extra thermostat housing(or what ever that is with all the water ports on it) I would just modify/remove them. Cleaner and more space.

2002 Mazda 626 ES

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #64
pile_of_rd1

I personally run a 180 degree hose right there, the top port goes all the way over to the pass side of engine and is separated from the lower port, I didn't like the idea of just blocking off that ports flow from other side of the engine

Scott
pile_of_rd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #65
proboner

I have a cobbled together 180* hose there, but its just messy. It would require a 180 with a very tight radius to clean it up, which I dont know how much I care to try to source something like that. I would definitely prefer to cut up and weld the thermostat housing, but assuming it's aluminum, I dont have a way to weld it.

Elo-

Old March 13th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #66
pile_of_rd1

I'm running a 180 myself from some cars prebent heater hose

Scott

Last edited by pile_of_rd1; March 13th, 2017 at 11:37 PM.
pile_of_rd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #67
SBPGT
Five Star Member

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/sbp...l?t=1489219488

You can see the big ugly hose loop in the photo above under the EGR.

I wanted to use one of these with one clamp. But I could only find links to UK sellers. Or cheap ebay knock offs that would probably melt or burst.
Samco Sport blanking plug

~ $12 ea. Plus International shipping

My mod only cost ~ $5. After I return the store bought plugs.

2002 Mazda 626 ES