Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Old March 19th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #1
PGT96er
Slow Learner

96 Probe Premium Sound System RESTORATION

Hello everyone. I decided to take out my after market radio, amp, and 2 10's out of my Probe in order to go original. Why you may ask? because after market speakers have the back panels sticking out of place, and i'd like more trunk space.

Current progress:

I bought a matching cd player, and i located the stock amp in the right back panel.
The stock subwoofer harnass has a connection I can't recognize and
I connected the stock cd player in, but it is obviously underpowering the aftermarket pioneer speakers. (i will buy oem speakers on ebay)

THE CAR DID NOT COME WITH A STOCK EQUALIZER FROM WHAT I CAN TELL. IS IT NEEDED FOR EVERYTHING TO WORK?
PICTURES COMING SOON
PGT96er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #2
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Depends on the HU you have. If the HU has a 6 pronged connector open on the back (red circle in the picture,) then it was meant to work with an EQ. You will need to wire up a connector for the EQ 93-94 were the only years to have them. 12v radio on, 12v for memory, lights, dimmer and ground. There's also a chassis ground to connect the HU to the EQ. If no 6 wire connector is there it should work normal.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a.../headunit2.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BLUEnoEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #3
PGT96er
Slow Learner

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psioyrjxwt.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psi00wvchi.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psoif1dfec.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psc5flqgf3.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...pslratg6y8.jpg
Another mystery connection...for an equalizer? my car did not come stock with one.
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...pswxkwikri.jpg
Mystery connection I can't figure out?
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psrdpf3vcx.jpg
Previous owner cut these wires to connect a cheapy head unit
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psia9pobeh.jpg
one of the wires connect
---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEnoEQ View Post
Depends on the HU you have. If the HU has a 6 pronged connector open on the back (red circle in the picture,) then it was meant to work with an EQ. You will need to wire up a connector for the EQ 93-94 were the only years to have them. 12v radio on, 12v for memory, lights, dimmer and ground. There's also a chassis ground to connect the HU to the EQ. If no 6 wire connector is there it should work normal.

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a.../headunit2.jpg

This is the one I bought on ebay.. hopefully I didnt buy the wrong one. http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/PG...1dfec.jpg.html

Last edited by PGT96er; March 19th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #4
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

I think that's the keyless entry programmer wire you have in your hand in the trunk, there should be another one there, a skinnier one for the sub sound. Also looks like you need an EQ, unless there's some other accessory I'm not aware of that can plug in there. You might be able to figure out a jumper to work around the EQ, basically trick the head unit into thinking the EQ is in defeat mode. It returns full sound control to the HU.

Old March 19th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #5
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
I think that's the keyless entry programmer wire you have in your hand in the trunk, there should be another one there, a skinnier one for the sub sound. Also looks like you need an EQ, unless there's some other accessory I'm not aware of that can plug in there. You might be able to figure out a jumper to work around the EQ, basically trick the head unit into thinking the EQ is in defeat mode. It returns full sound control to the HU.
the smaller connection is already connected to the sub. that is the only connection for the sub, but there is also those weird wires the previous owner cut. one of them leads somewhere but the others I need to figure out.. perhaps an aftermarket wire harness?

also, i dont believe I have a keyless entry, because I looked next to the rear speaker by the amp and there is no device for one... ill check again

Last edited by PGT96er; March 19th, 2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #6
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Neither of those 2 connectors in the dash are for the EQ. The EQ power connector has a red cap on the back. The 6 wire audio cable to HU-EQ can be found in other cars. In Mustangs with Tape HU and CD slave, and I've heard others back can't remember, the wire connects the opposite direction in the Probe. HU end in a Mustang goes into the EQ in a Probe.

Old March 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #7
PGT96er
Slow Learner

well if anyone can verify what those blank connections are, maybe I can utilize them and buy what they are used for. I know most probes have the same wire harness but owner options varied

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Neither of those 2 connectors in the dash are for the EQ. The EQ power connector has a red cap on the back. The 6 wire audio cable to HU-EQ can be found in other cars. In Mustangs with Tape HU and CD slave, and I've heard others back can't remember, the wire connects the opposite direction in the Probe. HU end in a Mustang goes into the EQ in a Probe.

My car did not come with equalizer, but has all the other stuff for premium sound. Did I buy the wrong HU? I figured it was for all years with the style HU
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #8
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

95 and up they started weeding out wires and cutting back options. EQ power wires won't be there. I don't know what those white plugs (in the dash) go to, I think both of mine are just hanging there. Which cut wire are you concerned with? There's a lot in the pictures.

Old March 19th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #9
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
95 and up they started weeding out wires and cutting back options. EQ power wires won't be there. I don't know what those white plugs (in the dash) go to, I think both of mine are just hanging there. Which cut wire are you concerned with? There's a lot in the pictures.
this one http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psrdpf3vcx.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...psia9pobeh.jpg
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #10
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Also, I do not have the keyless option, so no need to worry about that.

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/PG...pobeh.jpg.html
Old March 19th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #11
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

That looks like old aftermarket subwoofer power, remote turn on, maybe an earlier a/m sub setup. Maybe audio wires to or from an LOC (line out convertor for audio to RCA signal,) too. Does that connect to any of the premium stuff anywhere? I did see a set of gray wires hooked up near the amp I think.

Old March 19th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #12
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Well if the harness is there for the keyless box, (in the hole with the stock 4 channel amp somewhere) then you might as well get a box and remote off someone or ebay. The fat plug I was talking about earlier gets shorted to program remotes. The gray wires could be the sub signal, see which color wires are spliced at the 4ch amp and look for a matching set by the sub amp.

Old March 19th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #13
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
That looks like old aftermarket subwoofer power, remote turn on, maybe an earlier a/m sub setup. Maybe audio wires to or from an LOC (line out convertor for audio to RCA signal,) too. Does that connect to any of the premium stuff anywhere? I did see a set of gray wires hooked up near the amp I think.
orange connects to this fuse
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...pszwlssgnp.jpg

red connects to this one and there is a cut yellow wire..
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/...pszv9380uv.jpg

All factory by the looks of it, which means the last owner cut the wire and tossed the connection for it.
That is a road block if its true, because I rarely see any GT's with premium sound options in the junkyard.

Last edited by PGT96er; March 19th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old March 19th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #14
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Both of those look like aftermarket wiring to me, the solid color looks like part store stuff. The wire coming out of the front of the fuse box is not normal, probably just hooked in under that fuse. Then the relay... from Nissan. It looks like exactly what I said, power and 12v switched to turn on an aftermarket amp or some other accessory. How about those gray wires? They are probably tapped into the factory sub source off the 4ch amp

Old March 19th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #15
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
Both of those look like aftermarket wiring to me, the solid color looks like part store stuff. The wire coming out of the front of the fuse box is not normal, probably just hooked in under that fuse. Then the relay... from Nissan. It looks like exactly what I said, power and 12v switched to turn on an aftermarket amp or some other accessory. How about those gray wires? They are probably tapped into the factory sub source off the 4ch amp
i stand corrected, they are aftermarket
but the red one is the wrong one, i have to follow it again. ill be working on it for the next couple of hours and try to take more pics. thanks for helping me by the way.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #16
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

No problem. I've installed a factory HU, EQ, and 4ch amp in a Chevy before. Ripped the wires and everything out of my 93 when it was wrecked. Same system ended up in a computer shell. Might get put into my 95. I've also modified an EQ to work with an aftermarket, stereo it was not the best sound, better with oe power levels. Started off not knowing what any wire went to and no schematic.

Old March 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #17
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
No problem. I've installed a factory HU, EQ, and 4ch amp in a Chevy before. Ripped the wires and everything out of my 93 when it was wrecked. Same system ended up in a computer shell. Might get put into my 95. I've also modified an EQ to work with an aftermarket, stereo it was not the best sound, better with oe power levels. Started off not knowing what any wire went to and no schematic.
lol yeah, wires are a pain in the ass..

well i tested the connection and the factory amp is not receiving any power.
the amp itself could be bad or its not receiving power from another location.
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #18
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

There are 3 fuses for the factory sound system. Radio, room fuse and one other all in the inside fuse panel. Check there first. There'd be no need to cut the power wires to the amps to disable the factory amp, so it probably wasn't.

Old March 19th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #19
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

One more thing. If you're going to do all this work to get it back to stock, you should probably get rid of all the butt crimps and wire nuts. Solder, soldering iron (butane is what I use, no extension cord,) heat shrink and electrical tape. It'd be a waste if speakers start cutting in and out after everything.

Old March 19th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #20
PGT96er
Slow Learner

Quote:
One more thing. If you're going to do all this work to get it back to stock, you should probably get rid of all the butt crimps and wire nuts. Solder, soldering iron (butane is what I use, no extension cord,) heat shrink and electrical tape. It'd be a waste if speakers start cutting in and out after everything.
yeah, it will be a perma fix.

didnt have time to check too many other things, and I have drive back 300 miles south to work soon. I only come home once a month so I am going to put all my aftermarket stuff back in. i am stationed at a fire center and don't have the luxury of my own garage.

thank you for the help. I will keep you posted and call some places if they can do it for me.
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #21
PGT96er
Slow Learner

i believe one of the two stock amps are out. thats probably why the previous owner took out the stock head and put a aftermarket one.
of course newer HU have built in amps i believe.

Last edited by PGT96er; March 20th, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:12 AM   #22
BLUEnoEQ
Turbo Member

Yes regular head units have built in amps. There is a remote turn on wire for the factory amps I believe, turns on the amps when the radio gets turned on. But, without an EQ plugged in that cd player probably won't be making a sound. You might get some clicks or hissing to let you know if the factory 4 channel amp turned on or not.

Old March 21st, 2017, 01:20 PM   #23
sbeube02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT96er View Post
i believe one of the two stock amps are out. thats probably why the previous owner took out the stock head and put a aftermarket one.
of course newer HU have built in amps i believe.
If your subwoofer amplifier is dead I might be interested in buying it for mock-up purpose.
sbeube02 is offline   Reply With Quote